Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting IMWI and IMCanada analysis
Quote | Reply
After completing IM-WI, a sprint, and a 1/2 IM Pineman in the past 2+ weeks, I've had a lot more free time on my hands. Anyway, I decided to look at the results of IM-WI for the past 2 years, and then IM-Canada to see how it all stacked up from year to year. I figure the differences in time are mostly accountable by weather conditions.

I made a histogram of the IMWI and IMCanada finishing times, and I thought others might be interested in seeing the results:

http://viaserver.vialab.org/wilson/pictures/IM/IMWI.gif
http://viaserver.vialab.org/wilson/pictures/IM/IMCanada.gif

btw, how the heck to you post pictures to this forum. I couldnt figure out the "code" and "url" buttons.

wilson
Last edited by: wilson: Sep 22, 03 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting IMWI and IMCA analysis [wilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love this type of stuff. Do you have a macro (or any type of automation) set up in excel to sort the data once you import the results? If so, it would be interesting to see the curves of all the IMNA events, or the more popular Irondistance events.

Wisconsin did have quite a shift. It's always interesting to me how little the elite's are affected by conditions.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting IMWI and IMCA analysis [Jack in Mi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, Canada seems pretty consistant, especially in comparison to WI. I'll tell you first hand that I saw plenty of people DESTROYED on the bike from miles 80-112. They'd pull over to the side of the road and lie down in the shade. I was just thinking that I was glad I took it extra easy on the bike so I wasnt in the shape that they were in, and then having to try to run a marathon.

Anyway, no automation. I just copied the data from online into excel, and then used the Data Analysis->Histogram tool. I can send you the xls files if you are intested, and then you can plug in all the data for us... I got kinda tired of it after 1 hour of fighting with excel.

wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting IMWI and IMCA analysis [wilson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another thing to think about...participant demographics; in this instance, IM experience. I read somewhere recently (can't remember where) that the % of 1st time IMers at CDA was very high, the % of 1st timers at Madison extremely high, and @ Canada, very low.(the number was bt. 40 and 60% for IMW and ~10% for Canada(makes sense, seeing how you have to be there to get in- It's many of the same people every year). I've never raced IMW, but I raced CDA and Canada this year and I was top 10.6% among starters @ CDA and top 16.9% @ IMC, but felt like I had a better race at Canada.
Last edited by: jaylew: Aug 1, 04 11:13
Quote Reply
Oh, my mistake [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The analysis i did was for Canada, not California... my abreviations got too short!.

wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting IMWI and IMCA analysis [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I read somewhere recently (can't remember where) that the % of 1st time IMers at CDA was very high, the % of 1st timers at Madison extremely high, and @ Canada, very low. Found the reference... Sept. Inside Triathlon - says that almost a 1/3 were 1st timers @ CDA, over half were newbies @ IMW('02), and less than 90% @ Canada.
Quote Reply