Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 3 Edition
Quote | Reply
Congrats to AP and JenSW on some awesome racing this past weekend. I raced too... did others? How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 3 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did not race this past weekend.
But a good week. Got in 1 swim, outdoor LCM pool - yay!
Got in 4 bikes and 6 runs, hit my goal run mileage for the third week in a row, I think??? I can't remember.
Anyway, did my long run at a pace I'm fairly happy with.
This week my major goal will be to get up in the am on Friday to swim with am master's since I'll be out of town Fri. evening.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good week for me. Goals were 5 swims (done), keep the easy runs easy and fast runs fast (done except ran too long/fast on Tuesday), and ride 3 hrs (not done, chose to run Sunday instead of a ride)

M - 8.5 mi run + 2000 yd swim
T - 10 mi run + 4500 yd swim
W - 7100 m swim + 3 mi bike
T - 11 mi run + 3 mi bike
F - 6.2 mi run + 4500 yd swim
S - 1k & 5k race + 1600 yd swim
S - 10 mi run + 3 mi bike

Totals 20,370 yds swim, 9 mi bike, 54 mi run

Hip and shoulder exercises a couple times each.
I won both the 1k and 5k overall. Race report is here -
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rch_string=;#4597326

the super important thing is that I beat my advisor. I am still waiting on the times to be posted but my 1k was 3:50 ish and 5k was just over 20, I think.

Eating went ok. Last Monday not good but fine after that.

Goals for this week: I fly home Saturday and my pool access will not be as good after that (read: 20 yd pool in town, 25 scy pool half hour drive each way, lake 20 min drive and have to find company)... so goal is to swim 20k yards between now and Friday (5300 done) so I have a fourth week in a row of 20k yards. Also go for at least one more good bike ride here before I pack my bike away for the summer (will buy a cheap one once I get back to Maine). Run... depends on how legs are recovering from race... they did not feel good this morning. I do plan to run long and/or speed Saturday morning before I fly.
Also the eating disorder is not invited back to Maine ;-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 3 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow, outdoor lcm sounds amazing!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got what a bunch of us are referring to as "Ironcrud" - half the people I know who raced IMTX on May 18 have been sick this week with pneumonia, brochitis, etc. (I officially have "asthmatic bronchitis.") I've read that your immune system takes a hit from the long-distance training/racing, but I thought I was going to be lucky because it waited ~ a week to get me. I think it was the recovery week that did it - I slowed down and "it" caught me ;-) Either that, or maybe it's all the dust I stirred up while trying to catch up on 6 months worth of housework. I did a couple of very easy swims with a snorkel and fin and focused on technique - I've been taking swim lessons for months, so it was good to review and good to get out and do something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
outdoor LCM is amazing. I absolutely love this pool - and it's clearly a lap pool, none of the lap swim area is very deep. There's a completely separate deep end area off to one side.
Plus a waterslide! Once a year we do a 'waterslide' workout, where we have to get out in the middle and go down the slide. It always makes me giggle like a kid.
But LCM rules. I can really just get in a groove with swimming. Didn't used to be that way before I resolved the anemia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 6: WIN, actually did 7
Bike x 4: WIN
Swim x 4: FAIL. Didn't go to the pool after "racing" on Sunday.
Core/strength x 4: WIN.

Pre-ran the 5k course at an easy pace on Sunday so I'd know what to expect, then paced my friend through his first 5k - almost exactly equal times for both runs. Regular pool was closed due to a fouling on Saturday, so I ended up finding an outdoor pool; 25 yard with no lane markings or even a pace clock. Almost wanged my head off the wall on my first length, then ended up having to sink some diving batons a couple of feet away from each end so I wouldn't have to count strokes. Got in a solid workout anyway, so felt a bit less guilty about skiving off the pool Sunday. Got a 1h45m ride in on the tri bike Sunday, but still woefully under-prepared for the HIM on the 23rd. Ahh well.

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Bike x 4
Swim x 3
Core/strength x 4

Going to try to get one last long run in on Saturday, then have a 100km cycle touring event on Sunday with my husband - the sole 100k ride I'll manage in prep for the HIM, and it'll actually be done on my CX bike. Should be fun regardless!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Congrats to all who raced!!!

Had a good training week capped off by a race that involved alot of mental refocusing (more on that below).

Last week:
3 swims
3 runs
3 bikes
Sunday race sprint tri

This week - do something every day - chaperoning a biking/camping trip with sophomores - we head out on thursday, venture west to Lancaster county, down to Gettysburg and finish up in dc next week. Will be doing lots of slow riding and I'm the official bike wrench. You would not believe what havoc 16 year olds can wreak on bikes!!! We have lots of fun though and I'll post tall tales of biking and camping silliness next week.

On my race - - I made it 100yds in the swim and then just freaked - not happy bring in the middle of the washing machine despite starting on the outside. Never really got nerves under control after that in the swim and this is something i need to work on.

I get to my bike, mentally refocus, am excited to hammer on my new bike, get on course and my rear wheel is seriously rubbing against the frame as I head out on course. Now I tried my race wheels on Wednesday, adjusted set screws to fit that rear wheel into the seat post cut out perfectly but my husband pumped my tires up a little too much in transition that morning. So I desperately looked around for anything skinny to stick down the valve extender to let some air out - nothing around. So walk back, half a mile or so, to transition which is now completely empty. I look forlornly at the officials and ask if I can go back into transition to readjust my wheel and then just go get a good workout in. They kindly agreed and thank god I had tools in my bag to readjust set screws to back wheel out of frame! Make adjustments, mentally refocus, head back out and hammered that 10 miles - averaged over 18 on a pretty hilly course so I was happy with how legs felt and very happy with new bike. Came into T2 and talked to the girls who had finished already as I put my sneaks on. Tore out of T2 at a good pace but did not have the heart to tear through the back of the pack at breakneck speed so settled into a good tempo run. The BOP sure knows how to suffer and have a good time while suffering. Lots of encouragement, high fiving and cheering happening! I like this crowd! So while I didn't have the result I was after, I did have a helluva of lot of fun hammering the bike and the most fun ever on the run. And I know I have lots of work to do to keep calm on the swim next time.

Happy training to all the womens and good luck to everyone racing this weekend!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 3 Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kudos to you for sticking it out and getting a good workout in. Have a great trip!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 on all the great racers we have in the womens!

Was a little tired from my big swim week the week before, so brought the volume down to about 21k meters of swimming this week. Last long ows was Sunday; last swim over an hour was yesterday. I've got two short "dips" left, and then it's the Ches Bay 4.4 on Sunday.

I'm looking forward to it. I'm so clearly not competitive (as an adult onset swimmer I don't stand a chance against the Ches Bay vets that comprise most of my AG) that there's nothing to do but relax (ie, not stress about competing) and enjoy the swim. My sole training goal was to do enough volume to be able to enjoy the swim, and I've met that goal.

The big event for me this week is the long awaited appt with my sport doc. I'm hoping an order for an MRI comes out of that, so that I can find out what the heck is going on with my hip and back. Over four weeks now of no run/bike or swim kick, and hip is still barking at me.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 3 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck! I know you've put in the work to enjoy this. I'm looking forward to a good report as it's on my list!!

My last week was fairly blah...went through the motions, kept it reasonable. Still didn't plop my ass on my bike at all OR put my shoes on the pavement, but I swam right around 20k on the week. Spent Saturday in hangover hell & then went for both the open water practice (2mi) & the LCM meet (100br, 200fr, 1500fr) on Sunday. Times seemed reasonable, I'm sure they'll post results at some point. All in all a reasonable week.

Have developed a cold out of that chaos - have to work out what's going to be this year's magical post-open water sinus treatment plan. I start sneezing right after a swim & it progressively gets worse until my sinuses are completely blocked by mid-evening. I turn into a complete drooling mouth-breather but am usually good as new the next morning. The combo last year was zyrtec the night before & Sudafed afterward. I'm now armed with Zyrtec, Afrin & Sudafed so I'll just have to see what works.

This week is a 4.5mi downriver swim on Saturday morning & the BF bday. We have a good group going so it should be a fun day.

AW
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 3 Edition [AWARE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Open water and pool in the same day is pretty awesome. I think it would be cool to swim a scy, scm, and lcm workout in the same day but haven't managed it yet as I only have lcm access on Friday from 1-9 pm and I just haven't made it to the pool. May have to wait until fall!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sneeze post swimming too. Have you tried a neti pot after? I keep thinking that would help.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh. I have no desire to attempt such craziness. I could feasibly get LCM & SCY in the same pool as they're now swapping our "main" pool out every weekday. It's LCM from 5a-11a then they switch to SCY for the summer leagues until 9. We also have a Y here that has SCM (indoor) & LCM outdoor....so I could in theory do it all....but I don't wanna.

The OW/LCM experience was different - since the open water was first I could actually tell the difference in my stroke coming back to the pool. They were also only separated by about an hour, so I'm sure that helped. Adding in all of the hard yards from the week prior though, I was toast when I finished the 1500. I basically shut the engines down about 2/3 of the way through it, too. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for others to try it simply to feel the differences in stroke, breathing & body position. We've got some newbies scattered in our OWS group & the water has been glass. I'm sure the first rough day will throw us all for a loop.

We have a neti pot here & the BF swears by it. I haven't taken the time to figure it out & I'm kind of convinced I'll drown. Honestly, I'm just lazy. I'll probably try it in the not-too-distant future but I'll have to do it early in the day. If I wait too long they'll be too clogged & I WILL drown!

Keep the yardage up, only two more days!!!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Keep the yardage up, only two more days!!!

I KNOW!!!! I am so excited. I will be landing in Boston in about 72 hours. Yards have been up there, too - 5300, 5300, 5500 respectively. I only need to get in a measly 4k over the next two days to meet my goal :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tigerchik, I loved your race report! I run at the local high school track with the community kids' track team sometimes, but I'm slow and those little buggers can all outrun me. Sometimes they'll be tired and whining and limping or holding their sides, but if they see me coming (or if I sneak up and pass them), they take off full-speed. I'm probably a great coaching tool -- "Hey, kid, are you going to let the old lady pass you??"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+2 or 3 on all of the successful races last week!!

My week was not as awesome.

It started out ok but then slowly took a turn for the worse. A case of the lazies and the unknowns of ultra running made for a terrible week. I got Mondays run in but was out late doing something (can't remember now) and didn't set my alarm for Tuesday 6am yoga so I slept through it. Wednesdays run was great as I got an unexpected mid-week trail run in. Thursdays run was cut short due to work commitments and coaching.

I had plans to pace a runner for 38 miles or so through the night and early am at the Kettle Moraine 100 so I didn't do my Saturday morning run as I usually do. I slept in, got some gardening done, took a nap and then headed up to the Kettle for a 6pm arrival. I expected to meet my runner at about 10pm and take her through the finish. Starting at about 8pm, I was receiving text messages that were no where near as positive as they should have been. By 9pm they turned ugly. I also realized that she was way behind and it would be tight for her to make the midnight cutoff at 64. So I did whatever good pacer would do and drove out to the Mile 54ish aid station where I found her crying hysterically in a chair. We shoved some food into her and we headed out. By this time, it was going to be super tight if she wanted to make the midnight cutoff. We talked and decided that she wanted me to hold the pace we needed to make the cutoff and she would do her best to hold on. This worked for about 3 miles when she broke down again. We would walk, talk, cry and get running again and again. When we got to the 59 mile aid station, the midnight goal was about a 1%. She wanted to continue so we tried again. After about 2 miles, there was no way midnight would be a reality so we talked and decided to keep moving forward. This way she would at least get a 100K finish. She kept mentioning that if you have a pacer, the cut off would be extended to 12:30am so we would still get to go. While we would likely make 12:30, she was in no shape to continue - a mix of dehydration and low calories. We finally made it to the 100K point and the course staff pulled her from the course. The next 3 hours were spent in medical. After she recovered, I then drove myself home arriving to my bed around 7am.

I had grand plans to get up and run at some point on Sunday but that didn't happen. Besides being tired, the wrist I broke decided to hate me. Certain movements caused a stabbing pain to shoot up my arm and was so intense it made me nauseous. So instead of my planned 46 miles for the week, I ended up with 32ish.

This weeks goals are 6 runs, yoga/strength, and to do what I can to stop my wrist from hurting :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finally got back onto ST...that's what *I* did this week. :)

That, and tapering for Eagleman.

I crashed my bike on Sunday (being dumb and looking where I didn't want to go), but thankfully Amazon Prime ships Continental Force/Attacks, so my tires are healed and my bruises will be in full bloom this Sunday.

This morning was a bit of a win. 7 miles at 7:30 pace without even trying. Sometimes in the midst of training I forget what fresh, rested legs feel like. Tapering (when I manage to do it right) is always such a great reminder of what my body can do. Hopefully this will inspire me to taper correctly next time, too...

Congrats, AP! You're a rockstar.

http://konabound.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been holding off on posting because I was thinking of writing up a blog on my race but I can't seem to pull my thoughts together enough. I'll do a write-up here.

It was an exhausting and emotional race for me. And very successful.

I'd been battling some leg problems and piriformis flare-up so about 3 weeks ago I was really worried. Chiro and some PT exercises seemed to clear everything up. My running had been feeling really strong though so it was a bit of a crap-shoot as to how the race would go. I was super nervous that morning. I'd set this race up as a sort of TT for me. The course is completely flat so it was a good opportunity to see what I could do. This was my 4th half marathon in 6 months and I'd been seeing great improvements. 2:47 at the end of Nov, 2:33 at the end of Jan, 2:23:45 mid-March.

I'd set up some goals with my coach for this race and another half I am doing in July. This race's goal was to squeak in under 2:20. If I was having a good day, 2:17x. Then, secretly, I dangled 2:15x in front of myself, just to see if I could do it. I always set up 3 time goals. Stretch, super stretch and dream big. I don't know if I've ever hit dream big. I am usually between stretch and super stretch.

My plan was to cruise the first half then turn up the heat a bit on the second half, hoping to at least keep it consistent and not drop speed. I started out feeling really good. I was pushing myself but it felt doable. It was going to hurt but it was doable. At mile 4 I starting thinking about a potty break. Then I realized I didn't know if there were any potties on the course. There were only 200 runners and it was a trail race. I saw one at mile 5 and since it was an out and back course I decided to stop on the way back, hoping the line will have disappeared. I hit the turn around at 1:07x. Huh. The idea that I could get 2:15x entered my head right then. But I really had to go to the bathroom. That would mean at least a minute lost, likely 2 if there are people in line. The consequences of skipping that single opportunity was pretty grave though so I decided to make the pit stop. I didn't have to wait very long and I lost about 1:45 ish. As left the potty I decided to see if I could catch the girl I'd been running next to for the last couple miles. If I could catch her that would mean I'd made up the lost time. So, I put my head down and started running. Hard. Like, oh shit, what am I thinking?? I'm only at mile 7!!

I kept running hard, hoping I could hold out long enough to catch up to her then I could pull the throttle back and cruise in for what would probably be 2:16-17. Better than expected so I completely ignored the panic sensors and decided to see if I could do it. I caught up to her around mile 9 then blew past. I was in the zone and figured I'd keep going, just to see what happens. At mile 10 my pace was still really strong and I told myself now it was just a 5k. Pretend the previous 10 miles didn't happen and run really really hard. I could see the turn to the finish and I tried not to look at my watch. At that point I was doing everything I could and either it was going to happen or it wasn't. I heard someone coming up on me. I'd passed several people in the last mile and someone was going to try and catch me. No fucking way that was going to happen. So I found that last tiny bit of reserve power and stayed ahead of her. I beat her by 2 seconds, according to the finishing clock.

My official time was 2:15:15. I couldn't believe it. I was super emotional. After I crossed the line I had to keep walking into the park. I was teary eyed and way out of it. I worked so hard for that. I had nothing left in me. I had to sit in the park for half an hour and pull my shit together. On the way home I was driving stupid so I stopped and got a Coke Icee and drank it in the gas station parking lot before I kept driving. I was less than 10 minutes from my house but wasn't making good decisions. And I love Coke Icees. I rarely get them but I had really earned this one.

I uploaded my Garmin and it turns out my mile pace for miles 7-13 averaged 10:17. For the first 6 miles it was 10:21. That last .1 was an 8:30.

For those keeping track, I've dropped 17.x minutes off my half marathon time in 4 months.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Jun 5, 13 20:43
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 3 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Pretend the previous 10 miles didn't happen and run really really hard.

I love that sentence! I am going to remember that...

Your race report totally made me smile. Thanks for sharing.
Apparently I need to try one of these coke icees; I have never had one!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOHOO! YIPEE! CONGRATS!!

Thanks for sharing your awesome race report! And I'm glad to hear the hip/piriformis issues didn't slow you down one bit! I hope this finds you recovering well and ready to run again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Atta friggin girl! So proud of you. You've fought long & hard to get back here, to this point where you're so proud of your accomplishments & so solidly in control of who you are & what you're doing. Seriously, revel in that a bit. You deserve to have the emotional win & have all the delirious, out-of-it moments that come with having worked that hard. Look back a year ago & take it all in. Way to fight for yourself, to push through all the crap & get back to you. Welcome back.

You earned that race, every dam bit of it. Great job Jen.

AW
Quote Reply