Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do you wear a necklace during a tri?
Quote | Reply
My mother passed away not too long ago and there's a necklace she gave me when I was young that I love to wear, especially on some days when I need that extra little bit of luck. It's a very small pearl on a fine gold chain. I'd like to wear it during a race, but I wonder if that's too risky, either for the necklace or for me. Does anyone else wear a necklace? If not, any ideas for how to carry a lucky charm throughout the event?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you wear a necklace during a tri? [hyr00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a small silver necklace with a charm on it...meaningful to me. It is a short chain and hangs near the hollow in my neck (internal aspect of the collar bone). I have never had trouble with it. I can't really see a trouble especially in a wetsuit legal swim. Potentially....in a non-wetsuit swim you could have someone else catch and rip it.

I would say if it is a solid piece I wouldn't worry. There are always risks and you have to weigh those, but I haven't had any issues.

Quote | Reply
I usually wear a necklace and haven't lost one. But none of them have the same relevance to me as this one has to you.

I'd think the worst risk is pulling off your wetsuit or messing with the chinstraps on your helmet. I'd be so worried about losing it I'd be checking on it constantly.

Something to consider is putting is in a little ziplock bag then attaching it to your race number. This way it is with you and odds of completely losing it are much reduced. Also, your race number is associated with you so it would be relatively easy to find. I'd put some kind of note like:

THIS IS IMPORTANT TO ME. IF YOU FIND IT, PLEASE RETURN TO ......

If it comes off when you strip off your wetsuit you will never see it again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't wear a necklace, mostly because I'll end up with wettie rash on my neck. My IM trophy bling is on a pandora bracelet so it's right in front of me on the bike reminding me why I'm there and mostly annoying me on the run:-)

If it's fine jewellry I'd be a bit worried about snagging it, but also the effects of sunscreen, excessive sweat, electrolyte etc on the pearl. Maybe a small soft jewellry pouch tucked safely in somewhere would work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have one just like this, but have swapped the nice pearl for a still-nice-but-pretty-inexpensive freshwater one I wouldn't mind losing, to sweat on and dunk in dodgy lake water . . .
as long as the clasp is very secure it should be fine, just watch out for weak links around the clasp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to, until the necklace broke while I was removing my wetsuit. I bent down and picked it up right away, and left it in my transition area. It was a thin chain and an inexpensive necklace, but still, it was not cool to have that happen in a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have worn one in the past that means a ton to me - like yours - but I tend not to anymore. I've never had any trouble, but I would be heartbroken if I lost it. It's usually in my transition area tucked into my bag somewhere. I normally don't bother taking them off when I swim at the pool, but I've stopped wearing it at meets & even at the lake even for our regular swims.

My diamond earrings, however, which probably cost twice as much I apparently don't have any issue with risking however. My priorities may be a bit skewed.

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For my first IM after I lost my mother, I wore a charm bracelet with her picture on it. Yep, lost it sometime during the bike. Since then, I've never worn any jewelry during training or racing that I'd be upset to lose. But I did go out and buy cheap copies of my engagement and wedding rings--I call them my "stunt doubles." They don't have the same sentimental value, but I won't be bummed if they wind up at the bottom of a lake. Maybe you could find an inexpensive version of the necklace so you don't have to risk your treasure?
Quote Reply
Re: Do you wear a necklace during a tri? [BPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lost my wedding band during an open water swim practice. I used a cheap silver band for a couple years after that. Finally found a ring that looked similar. Now I'm divorced. I hope those two things aren't related. :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally! (if I swam in a pool and not with barracudas).

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Do you wear a necklace during a tri? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I lost my wedding band during an open water swim practice. I used a cheap silver band for a couple years after that. Finally found a ring that looked similar. Now I'm divorced. I hope those two things aren't related. :-)

we've been together since 1994 and married since....um....well, after the 2nd boy I think, so 1997? Anyway, we never wore rings until his mom died (a couple years ago?) and she passed on a metric ton of jewelry. The girls wear most of it but there was one ring in there I took a fancy to. Noone would EVER mistake it for a wedding ring but I liked it and I think i have it on the "married" finger. But not sure.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I don't wear but could see how you would want your necklace with you. As pointed out by the previous posts losing it would need to be considered and if it were me I'd probably leave it at home and wear it out to dinner after the race :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't do it. I lost a gold neck chain that had sentimental value when scuba diving. I never wore a gold chain before/since that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about this today as I saw a lot of participants wearing earrings, necklaces, and jeweled rings. I don't wear any jewelry during any workout (don't want it lost/dirty) let alone something sentimental/valuable during a race. I would be crushed if I lost or broke it.

I do carry good luck charms. My dad died in the summer while I was training for a fall IM. I carried his memorial card in a ziploc sandwich bag along with a penny I found during a bad training run that summer. Throw it in a jersey pocket after the swim and you're set. Did get a PR and clearly it was bc of the charms and the shooting star I saw. ;-)

I'm sorry about your mom...it's sweet to honor her no matter how you do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really sweet. I agree with others, seems risky to wear it during a swim.

During a long-ish race, (say 1/2 or IM, or even a short race if you didn't mind stopping) could you have a trusted family member waiting with the necklace during your run and just stop for a brief moment to put it on? That way your mom's necklace could cross the finish line with you. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've worn necklaces, but it's my sterling silver necklace that I never take off. The chain is pretty sturdy and I've never had an issue. I also know I could replace it if necessary.

I would be wary of a pearl on a fine gold chain. Pearls are very delicate and won't hold up to lots of water and sweat not to mention sunscreen. My mom worked in fine jewelry and always recommended that you put on pearls last when getting ready - after all the makeup, perfume, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly it has a lot of sentimental value to you, and the loss would be devasting. In my mind it is not worth wearing it or carrying it around during a race or training. Can you create some sort of ritual with it right before the race and leave it at home ??

I don't wear any jewelry during a race, not even my wedding ring.
Quote Reply