Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommending bikes
Quote | Reply
Am I recommending the Boardman TT, the Fuji D6, Blue Triad, Look 596 or whatever? Or am I sticking to the tried and true aero performers? The Shiv, P series, Felts, Trek SC, Slice RS, etc. Maybe Scott, maybe Jamis, the new Orbea?

How much do you all deviate from a strict by the (S&R) numbers policy?

Heck, 7 out of the last 10 clients would fit on a Shiv. If that is in the price range, do I really need to recommend a Valdora PHX as a 2nd choice?

As fitters of aerobar equipped bikes, how tightly do we need to have our fingers on the pulse of current aerodynamic frame and component testing?

I know what I do. What do you all do?

Slowman?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommending bikes [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I lay it out there and tell them my opinion of the pros and cons of all the bikes that fit them. I get a sense on what matters to them during the fit session...do they want something with all the flash and latest and greatest aerodynamic options or do they just want something that fits? Most people will say the latter with the exception of males between 30 and 40.

Jonathan Blyer,
ACME Bicycle Co., Brooklyn, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a wide range of fit options among the bikes that are known to be fast - enough that there is little need to consider the secondary brands unless the customer has a particular interest.

I figure that we wouldn't be discussing a TT bike if they didn't care about speed so everything is focussed on getting the most speed for their budget. Easy to modify fit by changing bars and along the way make sure they're faster than the stock option.

I see it as part of the differentiation between a good provider and the 'plumb bob equipped competition'

For the especially speed focussed I model their target courses and analyse power files to calculate drag reduction. Only a dubious payoff from that extra effort but that is where having Alphamantis as a premium product should help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good question Dave, but I will reiterate what cyclenutz is saying about being a good provider and not a PBEC (plumb bob equipped competition, lol best description ever).

I'm not sure if I 'deviate' from S/R as I do rely upon it to eliminate what a customer may have in their head as who they are and what bike they want. Twice this January I had to gently explain to two guys who'd bought bikes secondhand that I would not have recommended that frame to them based upon their coordinates and the S/R of the frame. Yet, both of them have completed IM's so what do I know? I do know that that ungodly back/glute pain you're having is because your on a frame where the headtube is around your ankles. But here....look at these numbers! Numbers aren't opinions.

I have seen the results of deviating from S/R and other sensibilities, and it ain't pretty.

My modus operandi is to listen to the athlete from first handshake to the followup call a month later. Did they get want they want - fit coordinates, comfort, speed. Did they get more than they expected? That is my aim as a Fitter.

In regards to 'being on the pulse...', I pride myself in a schooled curmudgeonism: being able to discern what is effective, what is sensible, and how the item/trend/geegaw applies to a given athlete. Will a Lazer Wasp helmet make me faster? No, you're drivetrain is old and worn and your wheels are out of true. Perhaps it would be easier to sell a $400 helmet, but why not give them more than they expect.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question! I find many of my clients come in with either a budget or a particular bike that they already want. For example: a 30 something wants a B16. Our sales associate brings up the bike to talk it over. She then tells me "This is the bike he is getting because he wants it." I cringe. On to the exit bike he goes. 2 hours later I have a QR all set up for him at the same price as the Felt and it fits him perfectly. To make the Felt work I have to use a 60mm +25 stem. Take a guess which one he walked out of the store with? The Felt! I couldn't talk him out of it to save my life. I think you ask the probing questions before or while you are executing the fit to find out what the client really wants out of his ride, what his needs are and from there reccomend the best bike.
Quote Reply