Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Negative angle stem
Quote | Reply
Anybody point me in the direction of a manufacturer of a stem which slopes downwards or is adjustable?

Thanks

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Negative angle stem [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Threadless or quill?
Quote Reply
Re: Negative angle stem [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh yeah...threadless

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flip an upright angled stem over. viola negative angle
Quote Reply
Re: Negative angle stem [Stewart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I'm doing at the moment and it's pretty much flat. I need to go lower i.e below 90 degrees.

Most stems I've seen seem to be made at roughly the same angle and result in a flat (90 degree) angle at best.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look Ergostem is adjustable

http://www.lookcyclesusa.com/pp-ergostem-hsc.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://aebike.com/...ID=30&SKU=SM4569

Flip this baby upside down and it will give you ~-23 degrees. It's cheap, relatively light, and it's forged. I've had really good luck with them.

I used an Ergostem for a while that also works okay. But they tend to be bulky, heavy, and expensive. I also tried an adjustable Zoom stem that never stayed tight and was basically a piece of junk. If you go adjustable, go with a Look Ergostem.
Quote Reply
Re: Negative angle stem [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers. Had a look at the Ergo stem and it does seem like a bit of a headache with some guys reporting problems with it slipping.

Anybody have any experience with the adjustable offerings from ITM?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am almost positive you can get a fixed position stem with much more angle than probably the 10 degree you are using.
Last edited by: Stewart: Sep 19, 03 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Cheers. Had a look at the Ergo stem and it does seem like a bit of a headache with some guys reporting problems with it slipping.

Anybody have any experience with the adjustable offerings from ITM?
I've ridden and raced on an Ergo stem for two years. No problems. I like it because I can set it in a very high position when doing those boring trainer rides. I can be relaxed and enjoy a DVD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ritchey makes their WCS stem in a 73 degree drop. IT puts the front end pretty darn low.

Seven Cycles and www.jamesframes.com both make custom stems. Sevens are $200+, JPs on the other hand come in lots of prices starting around $90

-sd

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this baby is superb.

Quote Reply
Re: Negative angle stem [cookie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookie, what's that baby called? Will it clamp onto oversize bars?

SuperDave, had look at the WCS but the OS offerings don't have choice of a 73 degree angle.

Figured that I need a 70-75 degree stem to fit a 31.8mm set of handlebars. Prefer not to go adjustable if it can possibly be helped (the less bits I have to maintain, the better).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the ITM adjustable comes in a 31.8 diameter, but I could be wrong. Check their website to find out.

Deda is making a 31.8 track stem (Newton Pista) which I believe is 67 degrees or thereabouts. I saw the ad in Velonews a month or so ago. Check with your LBS to see if they can order it for you.

If you want a flat (ie 73 deg) 31.8 stem, Bontrager makes the Race Lite stem in 2 different rises, including 73 (I think their nomenclature is 17 degree).
Last edited by: jasonk: Sep 22, 03 8:17
Quote Reply