Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Disc wheels at IMW
Quote | Reply
Hello, Iron rookie here needing help on equipment advice. Any IMW vet's out there think a Disc Wheel would be ok for the hilly IMW bike course??

Thanks Trevor,

P.S. Lots of great info on these pages, really helping.
Quote Reply
Re: Disc wheels at IMW [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disk. Aero beats weight almost any day on a loop course.

Now, if you are doing a TdF stage that starts at a low altitude and finishes at a summit, that is a different story. But a loop course has (obviously) zero net elevation gain. For every foot you climb you also descend a foot.

--

~~Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After debriefing several (8) customers who did IMW I have decided to use a disk (Zipp) on that course. I think that will be the fastest rear wheel. I'm using the 909 front (60mm deep rim) on the front.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
let me tell you what, i raced at wisconsin last year, and i would definately go with a rear disk. i ran a zipp 303/404 combo, and had no issues with wind whatsoever. i also found no trouble climbing, and would take the extra weight for the aerodynamic benefit. get the disk. later,

mckenzie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are comfortable racing a disc- then go for it. Don't let it be your first long ride with a disc though. There have been a lot of threads on gearing, but I would strongly recommend using the easiest combo you can set up. I went from 39/53 12-23 training gearing to 39/53 12-25 and wish I had gone 12-27 in the rear. I'm a fairly strong rider, but there is no reason to be macho on those hills with a marathon afterwards. So that's it for my unsolicited info......

sweet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to answer a few questions about yourself before making the decision regarding a disc for a 112 mile hilly Ironman. What are your riding characteristics, big gear masher or spinner? Am I comfortable in windy conditions? Heavy or light rider?

I have been racing Tri, MTB, & Road bikes for 10 years. I am experienced in many different environmental conditions. I raced IMW with a pair of HED Alps. My humble opinion is that they were the best choice for me.

The course is very hilly and my perception, is that the wind never let up and felt almost like it was swirling.

I believe for a flat 40k course a disc is bar none, the best choice. I believe in a 5.5 to 6.5 hour 112mile ride, the likelyhood of the conditions to change are high. An all around, light weight wheel like the HED Alps, Zipp 404s, Bontrager Carbon Extra Lites, ETC. would be an excellent choice.

In ohter words, for a highly accomplished racer, a disc may be appropriate, however for a newcomer, it may not.
Quote Reply
DITCH THE DISC [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take it from someone who had a pretty good time overall and would be considered a strong biker- DITCH THE DISC FOR IMWIS.

You will be better off using a tri-spoke rear and a HED alp front or smaller rim in the front. Those hills should not be taken lightly.

Also, this is coming from someone who climbed "The Wall" (aka First Union US Pro Cycling Championship) religiously once a week for 8-12x's/session. That hill BARELY put me in shape to handle the hills at IMWIS. The hills out there are unyielding and hard to get a rhythm with...you will not see anything from the disc other than a weaker biker with a non-disc wheels pass you.

ONe other note- Unless you can do a sub 10:30 IM, don't even think of going with anything more than a 53x39 in front and a 25x12 in back on a 700c.

Good luck,

Rob

http://www.reathcon.com
Quote Reply