Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by dayvic
Re: Commitment [dayvic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The energy pumping through the hearts and minds of everyone involved race morning, even the local volunteers who not even knowing you cheer you on. I have been racing tri's for thirteen of my 31 years and I am addicted to the race morning jitters. Oh, and it also keeps me in shape.

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Commitment [Shawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am committed to exploring my limits, mentally as much as physically. This sport consumes me. I'm also inspired by watching other racers, especially the newbies. Nothing gets me more pumped up than coaching, or maybe coaxing, someone out to their first tri. The exitement they show when they finish is priceless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the feeling that in most places at most times (except at an actual race) I'm in better shape than the person next to me. Plus, I like the way it makes me look physically. Oh yeah, and I like the fact that I can eat anything I want and not gain any weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Realistically the biggest barrier we face, our largest obstacle, is our perception of what we are capable are.

Stretching that perception leaves us with the feeling that we have mastery over our lives. An illusion perhaps, but a pleasant one for two hours on a Sunday morning.

Sooner or latter, you learn no obstacle is insurmountable.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity" Maximus Aurelious.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Commitment [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

What a great piece of writing. Enjoyed it immensely. I know however, that my wife definately would not wait for me at the finish line!
Quote Reply
Re: Commitment [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your kind words. This one was written when I was reflecting on a really bad recent break-up where I was pushed out of a relationship by a person's desire to obtain material gratification as opposed to emotional gratification. Steep, painful learning curve but those are the lessons that stick.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Commitment [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, I echo your writing. Facing our fears is something I train for. Triathlons are only one aspect of that training. Life is richer in facing the own known, adapting and sometimes overcoming the obstacles. It is in this path we learn about ourselves.

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What keeps me committed? Well, my commttment might get me committed if that helps! (j/k) Damn, that's a good question. I really don't know. Triathlon has become my passion for whatever reason. I simply love the sport. Maybe b/c it's the one sport I've ever been really good at? Hard to say - I wake up in the morning and I just want to get out and do it. It is what makes me feel alive. I'm VERY fortunate in that I have a great supporting cast as well, a wife who is a dedicated triathlete (among other things) herself, motivation friends, an excellent and supportive family, and so on. Then there was the guy at mile 14 in the wheelchair at IMUSA - just when I was feeling like utter and complete death there was THAT guy with calling out MY race number. Maybe it's like Lance says - nothing makes me feel more alive. I'm very lucky - that certainly doesn't hurt my drive.

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is too good of a question to pass up. Why am I committed, let me count the ways ...
because I like hearing my lovely wife screaming my name when I near the finish line ... because my dog would tear my face off if we weren't out pounding the pavement every day ... because one of my best friends died of cancer and I promised him I'd race an Ironman for him ... because the doctor down the street is still faster than me, and he must pay ... because I have asthma and I feel great ... because there are some real babes in the bike corral ... because I love hearing people say "you raced HOW far!!??" when I tell them what I did over the weekend ... because someday we'll be too old and weak to train and race ... because competition with yourself and others never gets old ... because I got a cool bike ... because there are people with prosthetic legs who try harder than me ... because my grandma is 84 years old and swims a mile a day ... because somebody, somewhere is training right now ... because triathlon is so damn much fun it ought to be illegal.
-- Big EE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom-Awesome article. It's funny, the whole time I was reading it I was thinking "just run over the finish line, then go back and wait."

Which bring me to two of the main reasons why I train.

1. I'm basically weak. (Not only physically) I don't know if I would have had the "strength" to wait at the finish line. So I train not only strengthen my body, but also to strengthen my mind. During the day, when things in life get tough, I think back on my recent training sessions or races and say to my self, (O.K. I only think it to myself, since my customers would think I was way over the deep end if I actually talked to myself) "You know what, you're an ironman, you can certainly do ____(you fill in the blank)."

2. To discover things about myself I can't figure out any other way. When you are 75 miles into a training ride, and you know you still need to run another 10 miles when you get home, you learn things about yourself you just can't figure out any other way.

Anyway, keep up the great articles!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What keeps me committed:

1) that special feeling that comes over me so often, unbidden

2) the rolling green hills just before the high fence

3) the signature of my wife on the medical assessment form

4) and, of course, the restraints, those damn restraints

:-)
Couldn't resist.

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what keeps me committed? Simple.

1. How good it feels to be done with a workout at 8 in the morning.

2. The fact that people think i am crazy for doing such a grueling sport.

3. The tingling we all know as runners high you get just a few miles before the finish.

4. The thrill of victory. Not just beating out another competitor, but victory is also crossing the finishing line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too loved that article on commitment. Whats keeps us motivated?? Get to hang out with fit semi naked women on a regular basis?? Actually fit, semi naked, sweaty women!

Seriously, one thing I have noticed from many yrs playing at sports is that there is a character trait that disposes us to enjoying sporting activity, and then take it that bit further. All the good reason: health (actually tht is not a good reason training for IM is not that healthy) food, fresh air, endorphins, challenge (its there, looks hard, lets do it!), are to some extent superficial. There is some underlying mental condition predisposition to train and race over a long period of time. All the other reasons fall into the water cooler conversation category, and since we cant explain it we tell our friends and work mates the superficial reasons!

Quote | Reply
What keeps me committed?

The fact that a long time ago somebody said I was crazy and nobody should ever do what I do.

No, but seriously. It all started a long long time ago standing on the lawn in one of my Dad's old Marathon t-shirts. I used to watch him run 10Ks, Marathons and compete in local triathlons when I was a little kid. Then I started to grow up and became a competitive swimmer in USS, high school and college. I lost interest in athletics after injuring my back and then in Sept of 2001 I made a decision. A steadfast decision to lose weight and get back in the saddle (literally). I'd done a few triathlons with my Dad when I was younger, but decided that now was my time and it was my turn to show the world what I was made of. I gave up all the bad things in life that tempt us (well most) and then started working out on a dedicated schedule and the pounds kept melting away. (One reason why I'm committed.) Then I went from being able to swim and bike at the gym to being able to run (#2) and then from being able to do one activity at a time to all three in a row.

I'd gone from being a nearly 300 pound, overweight, software engineer to a "nearly slim" and trim athlete. I'd lost nearly 70-80 pounds and signed up for my old college triathlon - mainly to show off my new physique to my college buddies. The look of the shock on their faces is one reason why I'm committed.

But mainly the feeling of coming down the street to the finish line without hacking, wheezing and generally wanting to die sucked me into the triathlon family.

From that moment on I became a Triathlon Die-Hard. I started training every day (stretching on rest days) and dedicated myself to the 2002 triathlon season. I PR'd in each successive race and watched the pounds melt away and watched my physique change dramatically. After the season I'd lost over 106+ pounds and had signed up for the Seattle marathon - who would have imagined?

I now look at lunch runs, long rides, early morning swim workouts, evening swim workouts, weight sessions, Ab class, etc... as fun. No longer do I look at them as painful. Each workout gets me closer to my goals of being an Ironman. Of crossing that white finish line and joining an elite family. Once that goal is achieved, then the goals change and it's about speed and getting to that white line faster and faster.

Now I look at myself in the mirror and see myself as a "triathlete." I'm not afraid to wear lycra, I'm not afraid to wear my running shorts out of my office building for my lunch run, my officemates still think I'm crazy because I hang my wetsuit in my office after my morning lake swims and I get here at 7:00am after my morning workout, so I can leave early enough to squeeze in an evening workout. These are the reasons I'm committed.

But mainly I do it for the love of being in shape, for the love of being outside, for the love of going fast, and for how it helped change my life. I wish I could share it with everyone and I hope that everyone has something that they are as committed to.

P.S. Can someone post the link to Tom's article?
Last edited by: SeattleTriGuy: Jan 16, 03 16:30
Quote Reply