Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shoulder Impingement
Quote | Reply
Really tore up my right shoulder in Pilates. Should have known better. My shoulders are pretty bad anyway, and now my right shoulder is SCREAMING at me. I've taken three liquid Advil (600 mg total) and iced it down. The whole arm (bicep, tricip, forearm, wrist, fingers) is throbbing. I have a swim camp in St. John in three weeks. Anybody got any thoughts as to how to get back to being normal again?

Thanks, ladies, for your thoughts.

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder Impingement [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A massage wouldn't hurt. Sometimes there are knots that can make things worse.
I would definitely stay out of the pool for a bit except if you want to get in and kick or single-arm swim.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Apr 30, 13 18:38
Quote Reply
Re: Shoulder Impingement [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, TC. I'm thinking that would be a great idea in a few days. It's settled down to a minor roar but still tender to the touch. I'm thinking maybe ultrasound from a PT. He's used it on my piriformis before. Wonder if anyone's done ultrasound on their shoulder? The pilates thing was such a stupid move on my part. I should have known better. How many times do you have to crap out your shoulders before you learn to treat them with respect? Grrr ... kicking myself.

~~ k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:
Thanks, TC. I'm thinking that would be a great idea in a few days. It's settled down to a minor roar but still tender to the touch. I'm thinking maybe ultrasound from a PT. He's used it on my piriformis before. Wonder if anyone's done ultrasound on their shoulder? The pilates thing was such a stupid move on my part. I should have known better. How many times do you have to crap out your shoulders before you learn to treat them with respect? Grrr ... kicking myself.

~~ k

I'm pretty sure you can hit 1200 mg a day without issue, but I would maximize the antiinflammatories and ice and see your PT.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Wonder if anyone's done ultrasound on their shoulder?

I am sure they can. I hope it feels better soon :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Three weeks of PT program including stretching and range of motion should do it. I can't remember if the PT used ultrasound when I had my impingement. I would not recommend anti-inflammatories since they can actually inhibit healing. Take Tylenol to manage the pain.

And when you do get back in the pool, you should mix up your swimming so that 2/3 is freestyle and 1/3 is backstroke. The backstroke will help keep the shoulders back in proper position to prevent impingement from creeping back up on you.

Use plenty of ice until you can get in to see your PT.

Good luck, it's no fun having a broken paw.
BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never post on here, just typically lurk but wanted to let you know that I ultrasound my shoulder all the time. I have a bad shoulder from years of swimming. A good friend is a doc so he lets me use the ultrasound on my shoulder and it has really helped it. I would recommend it. Good luck!
Quote Reply