Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I pack a spare?
Quote | Reply
I have a Zipp 909 wheel set with Continental sprinter tubular tires. This is the first time I am using a tubular tire. I'm doing IM Fla this year, and I'm not sure if I should take along a spare. If I do get a flat, will I be able to change it on the road, and how? Right now I don't even know how to change them at all, but, I'm going to learn. I don't want my ironman to be totaled by a tire! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I pack a spare? [swimbikerun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You answered your own question. If you don't want your race ruined by a flat then bring along a spare (I pack 2 in an ironman race) and learn how to change them. Tubulars are not too hard to change (provided you have pre-stretched and glued your spare) and a flat won't slow you down too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, with all that training time and cash (for travel expenses, entry, etc.) on the line it makes sense to carry a spare and learn how to use it. Once you have learned, it will pay to make a few dry runs also. Practice makes perfect. Good luck at IMF!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which leads to the question of how many. I only carry one spare, 2 CO and a set allan keys for all races but I see people with what looks like a full bike store attached to their bikes for an IM. I've never flatted or had a mech. problem in 9 IMs. What "other" tools do people carry.

MG
Quote Reply
Re: Should I pack a spare? [Mike G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've also seen people pack "multi-tools" instead of simple allan wrenches. Like the Topeak Alien and such. I've also seen people simply add a chain tool to what Mike G already carries. They're small, too light to really notice, and it sucks to break a chain in the middle of a race with no way to fix it!
Quote Reply
Not necessary [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too will be at IMFL. If you get a flat, just sit on the side of the road for approx. 1.5 hours... When I ride by I'll toss you my spare ;-)

All kidding aside... I agree with the others in saying, bring a spare. For all the time, money and effort put into the trip, taking 2, 5, 10 or even 45 min. to change a flat will be MUCH better than a DNF (caused by a flat).

-gc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is this special goop that Tufo makes that you squirt in your tubulars to seal them in case you get a minor puncture. If you put it in before you ride and you may never notice that you got a flat. This is not that green "slime" stuff, but something much lighter.

All this aside, pack up a spare, just in case...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were in your shoes, I would buy a new set of Tubies 2-3 weeks before your race, and work with whoever changes them for you, watch on the first one, and then change the second one yourself. Make sure you take a few training rides on the new tires before the race. Take one (or both if you're paranoid) of the old tires as your spare, b/c it will already have glue on it, and be prestretched, so you should be able to get it on without too much fighting, and the glue should keep it from rolling over on you, assuming you don't take any turns too aggressively.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply