Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered one last night for my Stinger 9. I shouldn't expect any problems, right?

Anyone out there with aero cover and Stinger 9 setup that can share their experiences.
Geoff
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [geoffsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I threw an Aerojacket on my old stock wheel last season. I have no idea if it made me faster (I'm slow) but it looked cool and made me happy.

I have a Bontraeger pump and the head was too big to fit in the hole. I picked up a crack pipe and it works, however it's a bit of a pain to hold on and pump at the same time. However, last season I never had any problems at all finding someone in transition setting up to help me. I usually traded use of my pump on their tires for holding the crack pipe for me. Plus, it's fun to ask people to "give me a hand with my crack pipe".

I have tubes with a longer valve (I have a 5mm front tire) so I ended up cutting a bigger opening in the jacket and cover it with black duct tape (allowing me to carry one spare tube that fits both rims). It looks pretty good if I take care to apply it smoothly.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [jfolks259] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you find out why it's not compatible to a Williams wheel? Got one too. I wouldn't mind not using my biggest ring in the back if that's the only issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [allezsteven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry i did not. I ended up selling the williams so didn't look too much into it
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [allezsteven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The answer to his question is HERE
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if I read this correctly. The williams / AJ incompatibility is hub related. So if it was a g3 powertap or any wheel with a powertap, it should work?
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [KevP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a fitment problem with my AJ on a Zipp 404. The cover was warping and rubbing on the Garmin sensor on the rear chainstay. I ended up pulling it off and not using it for the race on Sunday. Do I need to make the hole larger on the non-drive side cover? Also--can I just leave the magnet on the spoke for the Garmin sensor covered by the AJ? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use a Polar Speed sensor and leave the magnet on the spoke with no problems.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [Jake92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AeroJacket Disc Cover Review

My goal, increase average bike speed by 1km/hr. Recently I raced with the AeroJacket for the first time in an Olympic distance triathlon. Bike - QR Illicito, Conti GP 4000S11/23mm tyres, 90 psi, Giro advantage 2 aero helmet, tri suit, Garmin GPS computer (no power meter). For the past 3 yrs on the same 40km bike course I recorded a best time of 1hr:03mins on Reynolds Aero 90 wheels & worst time of 1hr:05mins on Hed Jet 9 wheels.

With the AeroJacket fitted to the Hed Jet 9 rear wheel on the same bike course in similar environmental conditions as per previous years I recorded the time of 1hr:09mins (40km). Post-race I have performed 3 x 100km test rides on the same training course on fresh legs with the AeroJacket fitted to the Hed Jet 9 wheel averaging only 31.5km/hr using a standard non aero road Giro helmet, standard cycling apparels (no skin suit).

Generally on this 100km training course riding Hed Jet 9 wheels I average a min of 33km/hr. Since removing the AeroJacket my average speed of 33km/hr over the 100km training course has returned riding the Hed Jet 9 wheels. I know this is not a scientific test but my real world experience using the AeroJacket which is slowing me down.

My thoughts as to why the AeroJacket disc cover is slowing me down.

You can definitely feel the increased weight of the plastic AeroJacket disc cover fitted to the bike. AeroJacket is not compatible with my QR Illicito bike frame. I don’t produce enough power to ride with the AeroJacket. Hed Jet 9 wheel not aerodynamically compatible with the AeroJacket as I felt I was riding with a parachute requiring an increase pedaling intensity. Prior to purchase I contacted Hed Cycling re fitting the AeroJacket to their wheels however I did not receive a reply. Reynolds informed they would not recommend fitting any disc covers to their wheels. That’s my AeroJacket review it appears I’ve wasted my money as the AeroJacket has not produced an increase speed for me.

Fitting of the AeroJacket disc cover is straight forward as per the instructions requiring removal of the cassette and I found I had to re-index my gearing once fitted. Remember with the fasteners push in to secure and unscrew to remove. I didn't require any additional taping as the fasteners were sufficient.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [Turtle14472] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert but from what I have read on here that unless a disc cover is fitted correctly (what determines that I don't know I have a disc) it can cause more drag than without it. Someone quote it on a thread here the other week. Maybe do a forum search or someone with more expertise may like to add some more value.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I was very careful to fit the AeroJacket disc cover as per Wheel Builder instructions the screw post style fasteners held the disc cover tightly in place on my rear wheel Having never ridden a proper rear disc wheel before I thought I would test out the AeroJacket disc cover which did not go as planned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you had to re-index your cassette after installing the disc cover, the cover may have been pinched between the cassette and the wheel causing extra resistance when coasting. Did you check that the wheel still spun freely after installing the cover? I had this issue the first time I installed the disc cover and had to remove the cassette and re-center the cover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, search forum for taping instructions with pictures - gorilla tape to spikes on non-drive side and electrical tape around perimeter on drive side.

Hard for me to imagine why you would be so much slower. Do you have power and HR numbers to compare along with the ride times?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't chalk any of those differences to the cover unless it wasn't installed correctly somehow, although it is pretty simple to install. The cover will rarely be slower than the 9 so I do not know what the issue was. Did you contact wheelbuilder to make sure your frame was compatible? I've used a cover with a box rim, a Jet6 and currently a Flo90 with zero issues ever. I take my drive side spokes to the cover to give more clearance on the cassette then tape the cover on and don't use the screws they provide.

I would say try again because it could have been many different reasons your ride was slower and unless it was all uphill the cover probably didn't cause you to be slower because it is heavier.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I wouldn't chalk any of those differences to the cover unless it wasn't installed correctly somehow, although it is pretty simple to install. The cover will rarely be slower than the 9 so I do not know what the issue was. Did you contact wheelbuilder to make sure your frame was compatible? I've used a cover with a box rim, a Jet6 and currently a Flo90 with zero issues ever. I take my drive side spokes to the cover to give more clearance on the cassette then tape the cover on and don't use the screws they provide.

I would say try again because it could have been many different reasons your ride was slower and unless it was all uphill the cover probably didn't cause you to be slower because it is heavier.

I would love to see some pics of your set up. I have yet to use my wheel cover because I hate the fasteners.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pics don’t seem to want to load on my phone so check on my Instagram in my signature or PM me and I can email you some pics.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
Pics don’t seem to want to load on my phone so check on my Instagram in my signature or PM me and I can email you some pics.

PM sent...Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What kind of an aero advantage did people expect? I did several test runs on an open pro 32 spoke with jacket on and off and the gain was 2-4W. Might be more if there's a crosswind. Aerojacket on a deep-section wheel is going to be about half of the gain on an open pro. Maybe a speed diff of 0.1 mph max.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 100%
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I don't have power meter only a Garmin Edge computer. Generally my average bike speed over a 70.3 Ironman 90km distance is between 36.5km-38km/hr course dependent. My best times have been recorded on my previous Reynolds Aero 90mm wheel set and current Hed Jet 9 wheel set. I have found the Reynolds Aero 90 slightly faster (1min-2mins) in both Olympic distance 40km course and 70.3 90km bike course. I have never ridden a proper disc rear wheel and keep getting passed by these whomp whomp whomp...

With the installation of the AeroJacket disc cover my hub and cassette rotated freely and in my opinion was centered correctly as per the fitting instructions. Prior to purchase I contacted Wheelbuilder to confirm my bike frame and wheel set were compatible.

My QR Illicito bike frame has a unique feature eliminating the seat stay from the non drive side of the bike which re directs the air to the lenticular sided disc cover (non drive side).

I know when it rains my left shoe gets soaked with the water spraying from the frame significantly more than the right shoe.

Quintana Roo Illicito marketing states – the Illicito frame design enables concentrated airflow from the front wheel to be re-directed from the dirty, drag-producing side (drive side) of the bike to the clean side (non-drive side) of the bike. This shift moves 86% of the airflow away from the drag-producing drive train.

My goal was simply to produce an increase in speed by 1km/hr with the AeroJacket disc cover alternatively hold top end speed with less effort to save my run legs....I did not expect to go backwards loosing time with the AeroJacket on my recent race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only other thing I can think of is to check the disk cover to see if there was some rubbing from the derailleur.

If the disk bulges in any way it can contact the derailleur which will slow you down a bit. This is why most folks recommend taping over the snap fittings.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. Anyone here tried the weelcover on a Shiv TT?
And does anyone have modified it to fit a disc brake wheel?

Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [Likeglad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the Wheelbuilder website: Looks like they won't work with disc brakes.

Wheels and hubs that are always incompatible with covers:
  • Track or Fixie wheels
  • Single speed wheels
  • Front wheels
  • Tandem wheels
  • Wheels with disc brakes
  • All 3, 4 or 5 spoke composite wheels including HED H3C, HED H3, H3D, X-Core 3-Spoke, Aerospoke, etc.

Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if IT works with a cassette spacer? I installed the covers, then placed the cassette spacer and the cassette. It works fine, hoever, the cassette spacer and the cover are rubbing against eachother. Especially when the cassette isn't turning.

I have the spacer on top of the cover. I can try below, don't know if that makes any difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelbuilder Aerojacket disc covers [ic3d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ic3d wrote:
Does anyone know if IT works with a cassette spacer? I installed the covers, then placed the cassette spacer and the cassette. It works fine, hoever, the cassette spacer and the cover are rubbing against eachother. Especially when the cassette isn't turning.

I have the spacer on top of the cover. I can try below, don't know if that makes any difference.
The diameter of the hole should be a touch bigger than the spacer. I've used a spacer in combination with a cover for many years but when installing the cover, I would line it up to it wasn't rubbing against the spacer. And I used tape (and not the included screws).
Quote Reply

Prev Next