Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mountain bike question
Quote | Reply
I got a great mtb @ the start of the year but only rode it about 8 times this year because I was training for 2 IM's. I went on a 6 hour ride this past weekend on the mtb, and I'm now hooked. I plan on riding it once or twice a week for the next several months in preparation for a couple of xterras next year.

My question is this: What do you do for cleaning? I usually keep my road bikes very clean, but it just doesn't seem possible w/ the mtb. After every ride, there's just crud everywhere. What do you experienced off-roaders do for cleaning? Do you have to clean your drivetrain after every ride?
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain bike question [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm currently eyeing my first MTB to purchase, but for my cyclocross bike I gently spray it off at the local self-service high-pressure car wash. The wand has two settings, low and high, so I'm careful to use the low setting. My bike rides in the back of my Chevy pickup and it's really easy to clean this way, but kinda pricey (anyone looking for a lucrative business opportunity should REALLY look into owning do-it-yourself car washes). Once I get the bike home, I wipe it down with clean rags and concentrate on the chain. I wait until the chain dries to lube the chain, but I'm sure to clean and lube it after every dirty ride.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Mountain bike question [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use a garden hose and a bucket. Those high-pressure car wash jets (even at low) have way too much pressure. Hell, even the normal "gun" for your garden hose is strong enough to drive the grease from your bearings. I don't use any more pressure than what naturally flows from the hose. A good stiff brush and a nice sponge will get your bike shining like it was sparkling new, and yes - clean the drivetrain as often as you need to. Grit eats drivetrain components, so unless you want to be replacing yours very frequently I'd clean it regularly. Use a decent lube, but don't break the bank if you live in an area that requires you to fully strip and clean it after every ride. I know of a shop that used to use transmission fluid on all the recreational bikes that came through it - seemed to work pretty well, if I recall. Might be worth looking into at $5/L. :D

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply