Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hed3 vs Disc in windy conditions
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to decide which rear wheel to run in my upcoming IM this weekend. I have a Kestrel KM40 with a Hed 3 tubular on the front and have a choice of running a Renn disc on the rear or a Hed 3.

How windy would it have to get to make the Hed a better choice? I weigh 153 lbs and have fairly good bike handling skills. I have ridden the disc about a total of 75 race miles only and haven't noticed any problems yet.

Also if the conditions are wet is it a better idea to run the Hed3 (with 19mm Tufo S3 Lites) or should I just run Rolf Pro clinchers, front and rear, with 23mm Michelin Pro race tires?

Thanks,

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Hed3 vs Disc in windy conditions [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents is that the disc is almost always faster, so use it. IMHO, the wind/control issue is more a factor of your front wheel. I have ridden the rear disc is some really windy conditions without a problem. Same goes for wet conditions. I don't think most IM courses, if any, are technical enough to worry about wheel choice, so go with the fastest set up.

Abvove all, good luck and have fun!!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Hed3 vs Disc in windy conditions [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with david completely. A rear disk is almost always best, even in windy conditions. For most riders over 120 pounds using a rear disk, especially a 650c, wind is not a problem. Their concern is more a matter of perception (and misinformation) than reality. I vote for the disk.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found the rear disc is much less to worry about than the front wheel. I run a disc with a Hed Jet 60 and on really windy days the front wheel is the problem. I'm about your weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others in that the front wheel should be more of a concern then the disk on the back.

I used the same set-up (Hed 3 in front, Renn in back) at IMC this year. No problems during the race, but two days before I did the winding descent from Twin Lakes to 97 in very windy conditions and I've never been so frightened on a bike. The Hed was catching a ton of wind and pushing me all over the place.

My friends riding 650 Hed 3's front and back were'nt fairing much better.

scott
Quote Reply