Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice - Switch to new frame w/in 5 weeks of last tri?
Quote | Reply
I purchased a new frame (same size and the angles pretty much the same as current frame) and hoped to build it up sooner. Now with my last big race of the year 5 weeks away, do you think there is enough time to adapt to the new ride? Or should I keep with the current bike until after the race? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Advice - Switch to new frame w/in 5 weeks of last tri? [trimichael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple answer is YES...dont worry about it. Not a problem. Anyone who will say no is nuts. I have switched bikes on one day for a race - and back the next day....a bike is a bike is a bike is a bike...some steer faster or slower - others are heavier...but a bike is a bike.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice - Switch to new frame w/in 5 weeks of last tri? [trimichael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are keeping more or less the same position on the bike, it should be no problem. If you are radically changing your position and racing IM distance, you may want to reconsider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess I'm nuts. I say - if you've been racing/training on it as is for the whole year, why would you tempt fate by rebuilding the bike. Supposing the fit is fine, taking components off of one bike and moving them to the other could cause some issues - most correctable within a 5 week period. But I've done this before mid season (when training was intense) and even though I thought the geometry was the same, I developed pain in my knee. Now, most likely this won't happen if you're flexible and have no prior injuries, but why risk it? Wait until the day after the race, then you can spend the base period (when the miles are not as intense) getting used to it and dialing it in.

My $0.02

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I made a bike switch 7 weeks before IMC and had no problem at all. Mine was a big switch. I went from a very laid-back road/slam position to a full-on tri position. Just get as much time in the saddle of the new bike as you can (which you probably would anyway considering the double motivation of a new bike and a looming IM).

The point about mechanical issues is a good one. Take lots of care in building it up or get a good mechanic to do it and pay extra attention to how it feels and sounds while you're training on it.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply