Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Aero Seat post + saddle bag.. Kestrel Talon, etc
Quote | Reply
I just switched out the monster of a seatpost that came with my Kestrel Talon with an Easton carbon fiber dealio, which happens to be half the weight of the Talon post. Ok, so my bike is lighter, by almost 1/2 lbs, which is fantastic, but now I've got the overwhelming concern that the aerodynamics of the areopost out-weight the lighter bike benfits. So my options are as follows:

- use old post, not gonna do it, too heavy
- use the Easton round post
- get an aero post, this is where I need some advice, can anyone recommend any particular ultra light aero post

Another concern I have is the saddle bag.. I'm gonna use one when I race, in the past I've gotten away without using one, BUT it's not worth the risk of getting a flat and not being able to fix it. Wouldn't the saddle bag negate much of the positive benefits of an aero post.. not to mention the awkwardness of attaching the bag to some fancy streamlined post.

How much of an impact does the seatpost have on aerodynamics anyway? From what I've read it is somewhat significant, there's a lot of air moving between a cyclists leg.. etc, etc.

What have you fellow Talon done?

thanks,
mike
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Seat post + saddle bag.. Kestrel Talon, etc [mpanoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a look on this site at: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...techctr/compact.html.

You will see that John Cobb told Dan that aero posts don't seem to work. That was before ONCE worked over USPS in last year's team time trial while riding aero posts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own Talon. How did you ever get an after market seat post on it? The frame was designed for their propriety seat post.

Quote:
"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."

Saddlesore Wink

Quote Reply
get this post [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bikeparts.net, it is wider than a Giant aero post thus is very similar to the Cervelo post, $110, I'm getting one if I get the Talon SL 2003

Quote Reply
Re: Aero Seat post + saddle bag.. Kestrel Talon, etc [Saddlesore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike came with an insert that takes up the back end of the seat tube where you insert the post. Call Kestrel, it should be a pretty inexpensive part.

mike
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Seat post + saddle bag.. Kestrel Talon, etc [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't get to watch the tour last year but according to what I read, the main reason that USPS lost the team time trial is because Lance is too strong and would go too fast when he was taking pulls. Not to mention that Once has a pretty wicked team... Also I am pretty sure that the Posties are on the Trek TT. bikes which have an aero post... either way I hardly think that something like the difference of a seat post is going to determine winning a team time trial.
Quote Reply
Round post will be fine [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You aren't losing any time with a round post, especially if you are putting a seat-bag behind it. Really, don't sweat it. If the bike were on a rig in a windtunnel with no rider, the "aero" post would might be better...but when you are sitting on the bike pedalling, with a sack of tires and tools behind the post, fuggetaboutit!

I put a round Thompson setback on mine, turned it forward for TT's, and it works fine.

To the fellow that asked: the Talon comes with a carbon-fiber wedge that allows the round posts to be used. AND, it doesn't cost anything extra, however, I was told the aero seatpost was going to cost extra beginning this year...I wouldn't pay extra for the thing...it looks like it was designed by someone in the military...not at all high-tech lightweight top-of-the line bike part quality! This is my only complaint about the Talon, I sent my post back for a refund.

I wish I would have been able to test the new SL version before I bought mine, I've read that it has a "livelier" ride. I like the dull vibration-absorbing ride of mine, it's very comfortable, but, it would have been nice to compare.
Quote Reply
Re: Round post will be fine [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what does your Talon weight? without the bags and bottles?? I got mine down to 19.5 lbs, should be just under 18.5 lbs with my race wheels and cassette, not to shabby for a 3 lbs frame with aerobars.

mike
Quote Reply
Re: Round post will be fine [mpanoff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be at 17.3 lbs (full dura ace with a disc) with the Talon SL I'm saving for, I can get you the specs if interested
Quote Reply
Talon weight [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea how much mine weighs, at 185 lbs., I don't think a couple of pounds would make any difference in performance for me. I did put a carbon steerer Litespeed 40 mm rake front fork on it, though..it's lighter than the aluminum steerer Kestrel 43 mm rake fork...but, I didn't do it for the weight change, I did it for the rake change. It worked out fine!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Round post will be fine [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey now, lets get one thing straight...The MILITARY never designed anything. We are forced to live with whatever the lowest bidder, congress, and our aquisition people foist upon us!!!!!! I complain about more than 1/2 the crap I'm forced to use, including our newly designed utility uniform (Marine Corps). I mean, if you are going to design a new uniform in 2002, for use in all climates, would you still choose cotton? DOH!

Ok, enough ranting, back to the topic...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned by a few others, I don't the the aero benefits of an aero seatpost have been entirely successfully demonstrated, but if you're dead set on getting one and still have the seat bag issue, Trek had a solution to that at one point. Whether or not they still sell them, I don't know, but the bag I use on my tri bike doesn't use straps, so no strap to the post. It has a bracket that mounts to your saddle rails that then locks onto the bag. It may be slightly heavier than a bag with straps, but considering it's a bag full of rubber and metal anyway, I would consider what miniscule weight difference there is to be negligible. I think the original idea for the bag was that, if you stop somewhere, you can pop the bag off and take it in with you, so it won't get ripped off.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero Seat post + saddle bag.. Kestrel Talon, etc [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another answer is available, depending on your need for and attitude toward bottles. I stick my spare, cylinder etc. in a bottle that I modified. I use a behind-the-saddle carrier, and I stick it in there. There's still room for 3 other bottles on my road bike, and four on the tri-bike counting the one on the bars. That's for training.

As for racing sprint distance, I don't carry a spare - not much point unless there's no sag. For longer distances you have some choices to make as to whether and where you want to stick the bottle.
Quote Reply