Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Measuring wheel?
Quote | Reply
I'm learning what Dan is referring to regarding inaccurate courses.

I was interested in a certain Iron Distance (non-Mdot) race. Advertised as 2.4/112/26.2. I looked at the '02 results to see what I could expect course-wise. The winning male pro rode the bike in 5:27 with an ave. time of 21.5 mph.

The ride time seemed a bit long for the winners ride. In addition, 21.5 for 112 miles does not equal 5:27. I questioned it on a forum and was told that the course "may have been about 118 miles".

Is is asking too much for my $350-400 fee to ask that the course be at least close to accurate? As an AG athlete I go into each race hoping to do better than the previous. It's hard to do when you're not racing apples-to-apples (distance-wise, I realize course profiles vary).

Now, if the course actually measured 100-105 miles......Hmmm
Quote Reply
Re: Measuring wheel? [Mur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that sometimes a small deviation on a course is just kinda going to happen. Only if there is an out and back is an RD given the chance to really nail down the distance to exactly 591,360 feet for the bike. Sometimes you just have to go around that damn block - or something.

For being even? Hey, everyone had the same bike...not like anyone went..."This is 112 right here and I am NOT going to ride that last six miles". As course records are just that - for the course...you cant complain to much about even distances. Some races are 2 miles short, others six miles long...

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Measuring wheel? [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a related note, what about the splits?? I did a race this weekend where on miles 1-3 of the run I had splits between 7:41-7:47. Mile 4 was 8:46 and mile 5 was 6:46. The terrain was similar, and I did not sit down and cry (I thought about it a few miles later) nor did I sprint for awhile (that never crossed my mind). How hard can it be? Never mind the measuring wheel, give me a pickup truck with an odometer, a buddy sitting in the back, some mile markers, and 30 minutes, and I'll get the silly splits within a few percent.
Quote Reply