Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling / technical advances...take two....
Quote | Reply
Okay, I find that topic quite interesting...I am a jadded young fool. I belive with all my being that within my lifetime, my generation has not yet and will not "invent" anything that will alter humanity on the scale that my grandfather had seen (Airtravel, telephones, TV, Radio, Moon Walks, Atomic power). That being said...in cycling things have changed -

So, now that we all know that the rules are there because some equipment will give some riders an advantage...what were the biggest improvements (or lack there of) in the years since shifting?

1. Aerobars (We can thank RAAM and Greg L for those...good old Scott DH)

2. Biopace....it will make you faster...they swear it will.

3. Kestral EMS Carbon fork...sold like crack to many a cycling junkie.

any additions?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling / technical advances...take two.... [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
integrated headsets...
just kidding, actually the integrated shift/brake lever

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aluminium rims

Lycra shorts / synthetic chamois

clipless pedals

Bell V1 pro helmet, followed by giro helmets

indexed shifting

decent lights
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are mine (in no particular order or importance):

1) Cassettes. Yes, this totally ruins my image as a retro grouch (as I am really not one), but the ability to change gears without tearing up the threads on your freewheel hub and the ability to change gears often makes life pretty easy. If you tear up the threads on the cassette body, you just replace the body.

2) Dual pivot brakes. These things make life easy as it makes you safer and able to stop quicker. I do think, however, that only the front brake needs the dual pivot, as the rear can use less stopping power for almost every rider.

3) Wheel quick releases. This is what Tulio Campagnolo built an entire cycling component empire on, and we take these things for granted today. Wheel changes take seconds rather than minutes with no additional tools.

4) Synthetic cycling shoe soles. These gems allow several things to take place: decreased wear on the sole from walking, the ability to change cleats, better power transfer. The old wood-soled Detto Pietro shoes would simply not allow this.

5) Clipless pedals. Yes, this has been mentioned, but deserves mention once again for obvious reasons of safety and efficiency.

6) Velcro and ratchet mechanisms for tightening cycling shoes. This oft-overlooked item deserves mention because the shoelace is quite dangerous to cyclist in general, and allows the shoe to be as tight as comfortable for safety and power transfer.

7) Aerobars. Yes, this was mentioned, but I have found that the aerobar is the single most important component to a cyclist achieving speed and comfort in a timed event.

8) Advent of alternative materials for components, forks and frames. This has allowed lighter, stronger, and better materials suited for components for safety and speed. Imagine if we still had steel or wooden rims? Imagine how the building methods would have stagnated for frames if there were only steel available? Imagine if we still only had steel forks available? What about an aluminium disc wheel? The advent of alternative materials have allowed the traditional materials to get better and to get the proper material for the application.

9) Braze-on frame components. Yes, they're bolted, glued, and welded on, but imagine if we only had water bottles strapped on with hose straps? What about frame mounts for shifters? What about cable guides? Many of these things are not applicable anymore (like pump pegs and downtube shift bosses), but the others could make the bike a lot harder to live with, needing to continually tighten things like our shifter bands and water bottle on the frame, besides having to worry about another point of corrosion from scratched paint.

10) Sealed bearings. Okay, now that we have no doubt that I AM NOT A RETRO GROUCH; let's see, what we have netted? More time in the saddle, less time in the mechanic's stand, less worry about maintenance. A set of perfectly-adjusted balls and cones can't be beat, but Joe Average can't maintain the bike, and would get discouraged and quit. What do we want?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Grab-On's foam handlebar tape.

2) Cannondale's Velcro water bottle and cage

3) gel pad (or sheepskin!) seatcovers

I'm trying to make good on my promise to lighten up and be more like the gopher.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

>my generation has not yet and will not "invent" anything that
>will alter humanity on the scale that my grandfather had seen
>(Airtravel, telephones, TV, Radio, Moon Walks, Atomic power)

You're giving quite a lot of credit to a previous generation there. From telephone to moonwalk is a 93-year span (or longer if you're talking michael jackson moonwalk and not neil armstrong moonwalk).

Quote | Reply
Ok, I've done the good. The bad and the ugly takes a bit more thinking about, since much has been forgotten, since none now live who remember it.

- neon clothing

- animal print cycling clothing (oh yeah, thats still around. see cipollini)

- biopace (previously mentioned, but worth a second mention due to the extent that it bamboozled everyone)

- cast magnesium frames

- those tether cable belt contraptions used by the Italian TTT national (olympic?) team one year.

- drillium

- Trek's dominance of the industry

- Pot belge, EPO, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling / technical advances...take two.... [pyker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay okay...I can come clean now...it has taken me years...I hope you will not think less of me for admitting this.....

Well...here it goes......

>>>gasp!<<<

I had matching Lycra shorts, Shirts, Helmet Cover, and Seat Cover....and would change my seat and helmet cover to match my outfit....I even had a matching Uni Disk wheel that I would put over my Matrix ISO-CII rim....I am so ashamed of my self....

There...I am clean now...I have admitted it....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem....
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling / technical advances...take two.... [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Drillium"...LOL....that is a good one. I knew a moron who drilled out his seat stays...LOL...LOL...LOL....

I have seen damn near everything drilled....

And what ever happened to the ultimate bragging modification...the "SRP Titanium Bolt Kit" that everyone just had to have...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best --

- Clipless pedals

- STI (and ergopower) shifting/braking

- Dual pivot brakes

- Modern helmets

Isn't everything else really still the same, just lighter in some cases?

Worst --

- Team kit worn by civilians

- Titanium frames

- Carbon cranksets
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling / technical advances...take two.... [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drillium. Hmmm. I have seen the ultimate "new" drillium on this website: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/

Okay, they don't drill the bejeezus out of thingas these days, but they carbonise, aluminiumise, and put ti bolts everywhere they can think of.

By the way- drillium can be done responsibly, just nobody practised restraint, that's all.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling / technical advances...take two.... [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drillium is like crack...you cant do it just once.

Quote Reply