Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

QR 2001 vs 2002 Tequilo
Quote | Reply
Got a chance to buy one of these with a $200 addition in price for the 2002. Only differences are 105 front derailluer and velocity deep v rims/formula hubs/hutchinson carbon comp tires on the 2002 versus Ultegra front der. and sun me14a wheels don't know 2001 tires yet. Is the 2002 worth it? 53cm 650c
Quote Reply
Re: QR 2001 vs 2002 Tequilo [noz1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what i recall... (I ride a 2001) the significant changes in 02, other than those you mentioned, are the hour glass seat & chain stays, the integrated headset, and of course the graphics. The tires in the 2001 should be Panracer - I have read bad things about them but as a newbie with no other point of reference i have nothing bad to say about them or the bike. Besides, I think I LOOK really fast on my (first tri) bike.

I guess it depends on how significant the $200 is with regard to your capital allocation to tri - remember pedals, hydration, shoes, etc.

jg

jg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own a 2001 Tequilo (55/700c). I like it better than the '02 because of the more complete Ultegra group, and the normal headset. The rims are ME14A, and they are pretty weak: they don't like being tensioned above 1000 N. The Deep V's will hold higher tension. If you care about weight, the ME14A is one of the lightest rim out there. I like the Panaracer tires. People knocked them on Roadbikereview: I'm not sure why. They are pretty cut resistant, they ride very nicely, and they are cheap ($10 if you know where to buy). Buying a bike for the tires is a bad idea, as it is the very first thing you'll change anyway.

I think if I had to do it again, and both models were available, I'd get the '01, save the $200 and buy a real seat (man, the stock saddle is a ...). So now you have $100 left, and you can get a nice set of rubber for your first race.

Dre'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 2001 (only a Kilo) and I like it better for a couple reasons. First, aerodynamics. Some of the 01's had wheel cut outs, mine does. The fork is slightly heavier, but skinnier, though it doesn't have the carbon steerer. Also,while the new one has the wishbone seat stays, they are noticibly bigger than mine. Second, components. more better shimano, and the tires are fine. Mine have survived two skids (not my fault) and 1400 miles. Third, cosmetics. Will you like the color in a couple of years, or will it look tacky? Personally I like the 01's better, but take a look at 03's, even better. Just a few thoughts from a QR rider.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: QR 2001 vs 2002 Tequilo [Dr. Dre'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They are pretty cut resistant, they ride very nicely, and they are cheap ($10 if you know where to buy)."

Dre - OK, I'll bite, where should i be buying them?

jg

jg

Quote Reply
Re: QR 2001 vs 2002 Tequilo [greenjt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JG,
for at least a month, and until last week, they were $10 at Nashbar. Thanks to their random pricing policy, they are now $13. I don't really understand. Maybe it's the offer/demand effect, as I bought two pairs recently? :)

One thing ... remember I have a 55/700c. I don't know where to find the 650c's.

Another thing ... don't hire a hitman if you flat on your first ride!

Dre'

P.S.
I'm not sure I like to advertise on a forum. I'd be happy if people were emailing me directly (my email address is disclosed: click my user profile thingy).
Quote Reply