Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New bike advice, please have a look...
Quote | Reply
Hello everybody, this is my first post here. My trusty 9 year old QR Kilo has finally given in after a pretty bad crash this summer. A kid on a bike made a left on me as I was ready to pass him at 25mph. No signal, no look, nothing, he just turned into traffic. I t-boned him and cracked my frame near the headset. E-mail pics to QR and they said it wasn't fixable.

Anyway, I've been VERY happy with the fit/ride of the kilo and have decided to go with a Caliente. I'm going to buy the bike with the stock parts and then replace a lot of stuff. I'm 5'7-1/2 just for reference in sizing. Please have a look and let me know where you think I'm going wrong.

53cm QR Caliente
Ouzo Aero Pro Fork
ITM "The Stem" 110mm
Syntace Stratos bars
Syntace C2 Ultralite clip-on
Dura-Ace Ft/Rr derailleur
Dura-Ace bottom bracket
Dura-Ace 170mm cranks (170 due to old knee injury)
USE Alien bladed carbon seatpost
Cane Creek 200SL brake calipers
Syntace Space Control levers
Dura-Ace chain
Dura-Ace bar end shifters
Terry Men's Ti liberator saddle
Dura-Ace cassette

I'm going to reuse my old race wheels - HED ultralite disc and Spinergy RevX.

I'm going to just sell the parts I take off the bike, I'll also sell the free Ultra John wetsuit I'll be getting with it.

BTW, I saw someone mention the Long Branch tri last week. I'm from NJ and competed in that race. Great day and a good race for me at 6th overall.

Take care and thanks for any advice/comments!

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice, please have a look... [mdileo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a Caliente in June. I'm really pleased with it, although with its stock parts it is the poor man's version of what you have in mind for sure.

I had a lengthy fitting with a FIST-certified person at InsideOut Sports, and came away with a 55, and I'm 6'-0". My first brick with it told me that he nailed the fitting perfectly. Given your height, the advice I would offer is to have someone you trust to fit you just to be sure about the size - if you haven't already. An alternative would be to pull the geometry off the web and do an "overlay" of your Kilo.

You'll love the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DONT put a da bb in the bike. Stay with ultegra. It is a fully sealed unit, and if you ride in rain/sleet/whatever it will not require service like the ultegra unit will.

other than that, looks good! :)

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice, please have a look... [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
flyebaby,

Thanks for the good suggestion. I did check the geometry against my 53cm kilo and the 53cm Caliente is almost exactly the same, I think the top tube 0.2cm longer. I am quite sure of the sizing having been riding the kilo for 9 years, and running well off of it! There is a big jump from 53cm to 55cm in the QR line, which is probably why the 55cm works for you.

Kevin,

Didn't know that. Something to definitely consider, it is nice to have a sealed unit, I guess I can live with the extra 40 or so grams!

I'm currently having a retailer have QR check the warehouse to see if they can build me a frame up, I should know on Monday. If not I'll just buy a stocker and swap it out.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice, please have a look... [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a 53 is very big for someone your size. I have 51 cm and I am an inch taller than you. If I didn't have such a long torso, I would probably be on the 48. I don't know how QR sizes run, but 53 seems big.

Don't get The Stem. I had one break. Very scary thought. It just isn't worth it. ITM is major pain to get them to honor the warranty. Don't get The Stem.

I used the DA BB for five years with no adjustments. I replaced it after five years just because I felt guilty. I don't use it on my tri bike anymore since it is a pain to install and I swap to a triple crank once a year for the hills.

Good luck with the new bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a thought. Are your transferring the parts from your old frame? If so how old are they? You know components get better and lighter every year. You might be switching new supior Ultrega for old worn DA. Also, lose the Revx, it's heavy and non aero, the new front wheel is probably a much better choice.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. I'm 5'9" and the last person to size me on a bike was Dan Empfield at the first ever FIST class. I ride a 53cm QR frame. I think a 53cm seems a tad large given the dimensions you report here.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd take a look at a different stem. Syntace (I believe) has an aluminum stem at 100 gms and $100. Ritcheys top of the line stems are around $90 and 120 grams. Both less than half the cost of the itm and at least as reliable.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice, please have a look... [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not swapping many parts from my old bike, going to be selling most.

I guess it is time to lose the Rev X, Zipp 404 is probably the way to go for a good race wheel.

I read the post about "The Stem" breaking, that is scary, it's off the list. Does anyone know of any online retailers that carry the Syntace stems, I can't seem to find any info on them?

Not sure about the Dura-Ace or Ultegra BB.

I was sized for my bike by John Cobb from Bicycle Sports back in '95 and have been checked and rechecked by many people in the know at races over the years. Yes, 53 does sound large but that's what it says stamped on the bottom of my bike, that is where the size of the frame is indicated, right? I know my bike fits me and I'm sure it's a 53 but you guys have me wondering...

Thanks again to everybody for helping me out here.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
www.trisports.com carries Syntace stems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you running 650 or 700 wheelset, and what state are you from?
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice, please have a look... [Superman777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
650 wheels and I'm from Robbinsville, NJ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given your size, I'd agree that the size may be large, espeically considering the front end on your older QR and the newer 1.125" integrated hidden headset (Rant away Bunnyman...) The geometry may be the same on paper, it won't fit the same.

Skip the ITM stem, it saves you nothing, the $$/gram ratio could be better spent elsewhere. Same with the DA BB, that item is a headache.
I'd even pass on the Cane Creek brakes. The cannot be centered w/o tools and if you are going to switch wheels they can result in a rubbing brake.

Lastly, I'd wait a month and get '04 Dura Ace, but I'm patient and my season is over.

53cm QR Caliente
Ouzo Aero Pro Fork
ITM "The Stem" 110mm
Syntace Stratos bars
Syntace C2 Ultralite clip-on
Dura-Ace Ft/Rr derailleur
Dura-Ace bottom bracket
Dura-Ace 170mm cranks (170 due to old knee injury)
USE Alien bladed carbon seatpost
Cane Creek 200SL brake calipers
Syntace Space Control levers
Dura-Ace chain
Dura-Ace bar end shifters
Terry Men's Ti liberator saddle
Dura-Ace cassette

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

Mercer Craft here (remember me from Jersey Genesis and the drafting affaire??)...I agree with everybody on the size...I'm 5'8'' and ride a 54 cm Felt S22...I've looked a the QR geometries, and I think (since I have seen you) that the 53 would be too big for you.

Send me a private message with your email or phone so we can talk, I was upset after Jersey Genesis and we never exchanged information. I'm doing the Partiot's Day tri on Sept. 21 in Allentown PA and then finish the season with Cape Helalopen in DE.

Regards,

Mercer
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice, please have a look... [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriPa,

What is you complaint about Jersey Genesis? I'm curious, I was in that race and want to know what you mean about drafting. Two big race issues for me are blocking and drafting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice, please have a look... [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mercer,

If I remember correctly there were at least 3 packs at the Genesis race. I guess the race directors are in a tough situation since there will be a major havoc if they DQ 50 people. On the other hand, only a few will complain about the drafting so they take the path of least resistance. It is infuriating that many people cannot resist sucking on someones wheel. Funny, I always thought triathlon was a individual sport.

It was going on at Long Branch as well, but not quite as bad. I try to not focus on it and just run my race.

As for the bike sizing, I would think that the top tube length is the most important measurement and your Felt has a 54cm top tube, vs 52.3mm for the Caliente and 52cm for my kilo. I really think I should be in the ballpark with a 53 Caliente when comparing to my kilo. For the record, my inseam is 30.75 inches, or about 78cm.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

Now that you mention it, I remember one pack. Mostly, I remember tha guy that went down in front of me when we made the left turn on the way back in. If you live in Jersey, whay not look at Elite Bikes in Philly? Great service, former pro owns the company.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice, please have a look... [frogonawire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the swim wave that inclulded the 40+ year old males...Got out of the water in the lead group (maybe just a little back)...Was flying on the bike when I was consumed by a pack of about 12 guys...Did my best to shake them and/or stay in front and ruined my legs for the run in the process ... wan't about to let a group of BLATENT drafters and blocker beat me on the bike... They would try and ride as a whole pack both blocking and drafting... The race director pulled over in his van at least 2 times to yell at them but they totally laughed at him and ignored him... I was extremely pissed off (see my other thread on Draft Rant)...Made for a not so fun day.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice, please have a look... [TriPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it turns out that I was able to get a Caliente frame only. I have ordered the frame with a Cane Creek IS6 integrated headset and a Ouzo Aero Pro fork.

I was wondering what cassette gearing I should consider for flat NJ shore races? I was thinking 53/39 chainrings with 11/23 cassette.

Thanks for all the input people.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark,

I train with an 11-23 and find it ok in most all situations. I however, do miss the 16 tooth ring on that cassette as I use it quite often when in races and I use a 12-23 for racing. My recommendation is to go with the 12-23 as unless you're extra strong, I can't see you missing the 11 tooth at the bottom, but the 16 tooth comes in handy..Meaning, you don't go from a 15 tooth to the 17 tooth, you get a better transition with the 16 tooth in there. Hope this helps.

Mercer
Quote Reply
D/A vs. Ultegra BB [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The D/A vs. Ultegra BB issue definitely used to be true but I have heard from several sources that it is not anymore. I'm sure there are people out there who know better than I do but I believe Shimano has been building its D/A bottom brackets sealed just like Ultegra for a couple of years now.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply