Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman NA events close fast, what do you think?
Quote | Reply
Regarding Ironman NA events closing fast….

I’m interested to know your opinion on this…

Here’s the data…

72 days… Ironman Coeur d’Alene event=6/29/2003, general registration closes=9/5/2003

3 Days… Ironman Lake Placid event=7/27/2003, general registration closes 7/30/2003

4 Days… Ironman Wisconsin event=9/7/2003, general registration closes 9/11/2003

Why, do some close out faster than others?

What’s your take?

Do you have any other insights on the matter?

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NA events close fast, what do you think? [Goodtime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there are a couple reasons why Cd'A didn't close out faster, it's still a very new race, it might be too early in the season for some, and the weather this year was incredibly hot. LP didn't surprise me, but Wisconsin closing so fast did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did IM MOO and loved it. I went to the awards banquet the day after and they said that there were over 800 entries in the first hour. I couldn't believe it...but I gave it some thought and besides being an awesome race, it is very convenient for most people because of it's central location. I had thought about doing some of the other IM's but they are just too expensive and too much hassle (for me.) I am sure that I will get around to doing the others but I would probably have to take a year off between them. I went ahead and signed up for next year and plan on doing it annually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about IM Canada?

It closed the day it openend. That race is filled by people waiting in line the day of the race to register the next morning @ 9:00am. There were people in line from 6:30pm onwards till 9:00am the following morning just to make sure they got a spot. If you arent in line by 6:30am, your chances of getting a spot are HIGHLY unlikely.

-kevin

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there is a need for ALOT more qualifying to be done, it would help support the other races out there. It would beat ONE race director getting rich and spread out the loot!

Not an event organizer but it would help the sport grow for sure!

Trevor
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NA events close fast, what do you think? [trvfsub2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to note that all local athletes in Auz have to qualify by doing one of a series of Half's...I personally believe that is the way to go especially with LP becoming the Championship race as such..

http://www.endurancesports.ca
Coaching and Training Camps

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NA events close fast, what do you think? [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How about IM Canada?

It closed the day it openend. That race is filled by people waiting in line the day of the race to register the next morning @ 9:00am. There were people in line from 6:30pm onwards till 9:00am the following morning just to make sure they got a spot. If you arent in line by 6:30am, your chances of getting a spot are HIGHLY unlikely.
It isn't quite that bad(yet). Yes, people do camp out, and yes, you do need to be there the next day, but you don't have to get in that line @ 6 in the morning. I've never understood why people do it(Maybe people who want to get out of town early). I slept in and went and signed up in the afternoon and didn't even have to wait in a long line. The race doesn't actually fill up the day after, but it's getting closer to doing that. Last year there were 200 slots left over after on-site registration. This year only 150 slots were left. They do a lottery for any slots not filled on-site.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman NA events close fast, what do you think? [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My concern with IM Canada is that the line is getting worse each year. I went fairly early in the morning because I didn't want to risk that this would be the year the thing sells out in the morning. Would be a real let down to show up at noon and find out I couldn't get in because I chose to get a couple more hours sleep.

With everthing selling out faster and faster it probably won't be much longer before you will have to be in line early in the morning to register for Penticton.
Quote Reply