Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Syntace stems - particularly the F99
Quote | Reply
I've been riding a syntace megaforce stem because it was a nice looking stem that was available in a size below a 90mm. well, I'll admit it, I see no reason not to have lightweight parts if you can. So while thumbing through the most recent edition of Bicycling magazine at the grocery store last nite (why buy it when you can easily read every interesting part in a couple minutes) I noticed they were fawning over the F99 stem.

it's unusual to see a syntace part recognized by roadies, but to see them drool over this stem was something else. turns out it's insanely light. easily the lightest aluminum stem out there. totally comparable to the mag and carbon stems, but presumably with more durability.

my question, anyone used this stem? I'm all for light weight, but I don't want my stem breaking on me either.
Quote Reply
Re: Syntace stems - particularly the F99 [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any experience with this stem, though others on this forum have uniformly complimented Syntace stems in the past.

I do have experience with The Stem from ITM, that 95 gram magnesium stem, breaking on me. Very scary thought, though no physical harm done to my body or anyone else's. It took months of badgering, but ITM replaced it under warranty.

I don't trust these superlight parts. The replacement stem will go on eBay when I get around to it. I now use Ritchey aluminum stems. Think long and hard before you try to save a few grams here. A broken stem is a ticket to the hospital or worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Syntace stems - particularly the F99 [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree completely. I have no interest in the mag and carbon stems, it's just not worth it. I've been eyeing the ritchey wcs and the easton ea70. both lightweight stems. I've seen much praise on the ritchey but the easton looks to be too new for much feedback yet.

I've seen the same praise on syntace you have, including Dan saying he rides syntace stems because they don't break. if this were some off brand I'd never consider it, but if they test this the same way they do the others...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can anyone tell me about the "VR-3 DH" testing procedure? syntace seems to indicate that this is the most difficult testing procedure for stems (or porches as google seems to translate it!), and that the F99 passed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got one. Ves now builds up his Yaquis with them. I've only got one ride on it, but I didn't notice any flex or anything negative about it. It seems totally comparable to my Ritchey WCS except it looks cooler. The things are damn light too.
Quote Reply