Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cold water swimming
Quote | Reply
What aids are available(and legal) to use in a tri in very cold water conditions(50's). I know about neoprene caps, but is there anything else? Anything for feet or hands? I'm one of those guys that has real problems w/ the cold - I prefer 78 to 68 anyday.
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several of the Open water endurance swimmers use a product that they can smear all over their bodies to help with insulating, this is perfectly legal and would be a bonus for hands and feet especially. Its similar to a Vaseline type product. Caution with the Vas though, as it harms the neoprene in wetsuits.

Neoprene caps, doubling up on orthodox swimcaps, using a fullsuit instead of a LJ, and an insulating "goo" are all the main ways to get warmer. There are also thin neoprene under-shirts that are traditionally designed for surfers, although these would be illegal for racing. The only other suggestion would be to try and condition yourself to the cold a bit ie: wearing a layer less clothing etc, this sucks though I know.

Hope these suggestions help

Steve Nicholls

Ironman Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When water temperatures hover around 60 in late May and early october in the St. Lawrence River, I use lard to coat my hands and feet. This is quite messy, and requires an extra towel to degrease before actually drying off. It works, though. Just make sure to adjust your goggles BEFORE you coat your hands! As for the inevitable "ice-cream headache" at the beginning of cold-water swims, a couple of latex swims caps under a neoprene cap (De Soto, Q.R., Barracuda) will help. I've never tried a couple of neoprene caps over a latex cap, but that makes some sense. What doesn't make sense, maybe, is swimming in water that would require ridiculous layers of headgear. At that point, it should probably be back to the pool.....
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming [Trinipples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know the name of the insulating gel they use? Also, I went to the Alcatraz site, since I know the water is cold there and they mention something about booties. Has anyone used them or know what they are? Are they the same as the booties divers use? Would neoprene gloves be legal?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm tossing around the idea of doing Californiaman. Some of us from the area swam(or tried to) from the location of the swim start back in May on the same weekend the race will be on next year to check lake temps. None of us had ever tried to swim in the lake in May. Usually the lake stays super cold until about mid-June. Some couldn't even get started, some went for a few minutes, and a few actually swam for about 20 minutes. I was one of the ones who couldn't even get started. We verified the temp at 53.2. I can't even imagine doing 2.4 in that, but a good friend is doing his 1st IM there & I want to try and do an early season IM next year and there aren't really many options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>We verified the temp at 53.2. I can't even imagine doing 2.4 in that, but a good friend is doing his 1st IM there & I want to try and do an early season IM next year and there aren't really many options.<<

This was in Folsom? Oy!

I did a half in NZ in December and the water was about that cold. The swim was long and it was a struggle, especially with asthma. But, one thing about cold water--the more you swim in it, the easier it becomes. If Folsom will really be that cold, then I guess I'll be hitting the SF Bay in April to get acclimated.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cold water swimming [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was in Lake Natomas, where the swim will be held. It's the nicest place to swim in the area, but also the coldest. Folsom lake is quite a bit warmer. The temperature varies depending on how much water is released from the dam. I wonder if J&A has something worked out w/ the city on how much water is to be released as they say to expect a temp around 60. Either that, or they simply don't want to scare people off.
Quote Reply