Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Painting Spokes?
Quote | Reply
alright...I know it sounds kinda ghetto, but the thought of buying $50 worth of spokes, and then paying someone to relace the wheel does not sound too hot either.

Has anyone done this? I have silver Sapim cx-ray spokes, and I want them to be black to match a rear wheel I just acquired. I was thinking I would just sand them w/ fine grit paper, prep them and then mask off the hub and rim and spray them with a little glossy black. Am I crazy, is it going to turn out horrible? All thoughts, previous experiences, and heckling are appreciated.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply
Re: Painting Spokes? [Mark C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The way to blacken spokes is a special heat treatment. You would add a bit too much weight to the spokes, and frankly, it would not be worth it. You could find a metal finishing shop to do it really cheap when you rebuild the wheel.

A zillion years ago when I built up a wheel with ti spokes, I did the "ti dye" thing by using a car battery and some washing powder. But the ti spokes were crap and I have some DT bladed that have been on the wheel ever since.
Quote Reply
Re: Painting Spokes? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just wrap them in yarn? I mean, the color possibilities are damn near endless...sure sure yarn may weigh a few grams - and might have a bit more wind drag than a normal spoke but that may just be the price we have to pay for style! You could even do a macreme design and weave that wheel into a disk!

I am calling the patent office now....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Painting Spokes? [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The macrame could provide that crucial laminar surface...
Quote Reply
Re: Painting Spokes? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next item up for Bunnyman Mfg, inc, LLC, Co....

"Macreme yarn epoxy resin kevlar spoke wheels"...you could get some hippie lady to weave you a Led Zepplin pattern in there (dont wear respirators while applyling epoxy to the Led Zepplin wheels). Maybe a mexican woman (of about 10 years) can weave a Jesus or weeping Virgin Mary into a wheel prior to glue up for a little help from above....Velvet Elvis? I think we have something here.

Woolrich virgin wool woven epoxy resin wheels...man oh man....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply