Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Have you ever dated a tri guy? [jl2732] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha - love that you bring up the money issue. Being the issue that is the most common destroyer of relationships, it is super-important to agree on what gets spent. I was so surprised when my fiance put off buying the new laptop he wanted, until he revealed he was getting a new tri-bike. Whereas I was annoyed when he used to buy an excess of gadgets and toys for the house, I am supportive of anything related to fitness and his training. Trip to IMAZ to volunteer so he can get his spot? SOLD.

Granted, he also kicked off my interest buy putting great tri autobiographies on my Kindle (I really loved Chrissie Wellington's book) and getting me cute kit. I was a bit thrown when the bike shorts and top magically appeared, but have taken to it. I'll never be as good as him, but I love that we share the mentality of challenging ourselves, improving, and being healthy. He's going to start kicking his training up 3 notches, and we talked about how weekends will be a bit different this year as he preps for IMAZ, but he knows I'll be supportive, be it doing extra loads of workout-gear laundry a week, not rolling my eyes when he splurges on new compression/warming/recovery gear (holy crap why is compression gear so expensive?!?!), or cooking him healthier meals (since his default meal is a can of Pringles, 2 hot dogs sans bun, and string cheese).

My last two cents: it gives us something to NEED each other for. I /need/ his help and support. His advice and ear when I'm sore, exhausted, and frustrated. He needs me to urge him to brag a little (to me) and let him revel in his sense of accomplishment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever dated a tri guy? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Married x 12 years! We met in the pool at masters practice. Fun picking races to do together. Was tough when our son was younger because we couldn't train as much together (or at all most times) but we made it work. Now we can train a bit more together. We do mostly the same races but not all, we jump into support roles for each other often. Great lifestyle and most of our friends are runners/triathletes so even nights out that end early work for everyone!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having dated NOT tri guy and that dismally falling apart 12 months ago, i'd like to find a tri-guy who actually "gets" what i do! That would be a refreshing change I'd think :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
plant_based wrote:
Was it nice to have someone that understood training/racing --- was it a fun, healthy relationship?

I have dated a “tri” guy. Unfortunately, he had middle child syndrome and didn't like the fact I did them too, he wanted all the attention of the sport focused on him. However, I feel this issue is a one off stemming from his childhood.

I would absolutely LOVE to meet someone as passionate about the triathlon lifestyle as I am and preferably I’d like him to be very good at it too! Not because I want to train with him (I wouldn’t), because he would have a better understanding of training, etc. Plus, it just makes dating easier. He would “get” why I go to bed at 9:30pm on Friday and why I choose to wake-up at 5:15am on Saturday to ride and most likely spend the good portion of my day training and not give me a hard time about it…

BUT, I live in Southern California, specifically Orange County..UUGHHHH and if any of you live here, you know dating is a real PITA!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever dated a tri guy? [kmh1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean you don't want to date a "bro"? Come on, what about those guys who work out on the beach just to be seen? ;) How about the pot-head surfers - they're an awesome group of go-getters. Better still are the suits who "dress up" in white shorts. Though it's so hard to resist the guys who are already in a relationship with their convertables...

I totally sympathize - from so-cal (Manhattan Beach) and currently living up in Sunnyvale. Before I met my fiance, it was a barrage of "I'm going to create the next big dot-com" guys. Ew ew ew.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever dated a tri guy? [jen-g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jen-g wrote:
Married x 12 years! We met in the pool at masters practice. Fun picking races to do together. Was tough when our son was younger because we couldn't train as much together (or at all most times) but we made it work. Now we can train a bit more together. We do mostly the same races but not all, we jump into support roles for each other often. Great lifestyle and most of our friends are runners/triathletes so even nights out that end early work for everyone!

Just checkin' things out over here for funs. . .

I expected a lot more griping about tri guys' shortcomings on this one, but found the opposite. Also noted is that nobody met their spouse on the Slowtwitch main triathlon list.

Unlikely that's coincidence.

Personally, my wife and I started doing tris at the same time, and both got into it. We trained for IMAZ together, which was good for the support, but horrendous for our offspring, so we've agreed to alternate seasons. The support would still be there for non-tri athletic activities, as we're both active, but it's nice to have tri as an area of overlap.

--------------
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My boyfriend and I met doing triathlons. We train with the same team and sometimes train together. It's not the only thing we have in common but it was a great base to start with :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever dated a tri guy? [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noodlecat77 wrote:
Having dated NOT tri guy and that dismally falling apart 12 months ago, i'd like to find a tri-guy who actually "gets" what i do! That would be a refreshing change I'd think :)

So, ah....what's your sign? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever dated a tri guy? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL..errr.. other than zodiac signs, living in the same state on the same continent would also be a requirement (amongst other things)!! :P
Quote Reply
Re: Have you ever dated a tri guy? [noodlecat77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah. That would help, wouldn't it.
I thought the "What's your sign" question would give away my age.
Quote Reply

Prev Next