Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

best time to buy a new bike?
Quote | Reply
i surrender! after only two months of riding my used shogun time trial, i've come to the conclusion that i need a new bike.

the shogun is heavy and is somehow twisted enough where the seatstays and chainstays meet that the tire rubs against the chainstay after 5 minutes of riding (which was soooo much fun during my oly a few weeks ago). the bike only has 2 gears and 6 cogs, which are shifted by downtube shifters. the front wheel is a 650 and the rear is a 700 - and both are tubulars. i'm pretty sure that there isn't a single component on that bike that is younger than me (20 years old), and there's no doubt in my mind that the frame itself easily outdates me.

on second thought, i should change that last part. the only new part of the bike is the cockpit. the bullhorn bars and clip-on setup is pretty nice - aside from the fact that the clip-ons have come loose, and don't want to be retightened. whenever i ride, i find my hands pointed almost straight at the pavement after 100 yards.

i'm fed up with this bike.

what i really need is a road bike with clip-ons aerobars. i like doing group rides, and you just can't ride bullhorns and get enough power into the pedals. i'd like clinchers, and i'd like for both of them to be 700s. i despise downtube shifters, and would much rather ride a bike with STI and 24 speeds, even though i'd avoid the smallest chainring like it was the plague. i'd like to not constantly wonder if i'll be walking my bike back from wherever i'm going.

i'd like to buy a new, never-used bike ... one that i can be sure won't be a fixer-upper like my current bike. and i'd like to sell my current bike, hopefully somewhat offsetting the cost of the new one.

so, when's the best time to make the transaction? now, when the cycling season is winding down? february? april?

p.s. the moral of this story is DO NOT BUY A USED BIKE FROM EBAY!!!

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Re: best time to buy a new bike? [vidaeboa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike shops tend to slow down quite a bit in winter, especially if you live in a northern clime. They still have to pay the rent and want to get rid of last year's stock to make way for the new models for spring. February/March can be a good time to get a deal.
Quote Reply
OCT thru FEB [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start looking in october, shops start clearing the 03's and bringing in the 04's. Don't wait until spring, thats when prices are the highest
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is OK to buy a bike on eBay with a few caveats:

1) Make sure you know your geometry.

2) Check their feedback and location, e-mail with technical questions and pay attention to the responses.

3) Narrow the bike brands that you are looking at and test ride them. Don't buy an OCLV if you have never ridden one before - you may not like the feel.

4) Take it in and have it fitted when you get it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fall is the best time to buy - no question. Shops and manufacturers are clearing out their 2003's to get ready for the 2004's.

Even ebay becomes a buyer's market as most roadies and triathletes aren't looking to upgarde as the season winds now.

Whatever you do, keep the Shogun. Funny bikes rule and that one is definitely a classic. It probably wouldn't fetch a high price anyway.
Quote Reply