Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How aero do you go?
Quote | Reply
I'm fronting up for my second IM in a few weeks time and the vortex of 'I need' is slowly and relentlessly sucking me in.

Got the new wettie last year, more lycra technical gear than I can possibly wear and just splurged on a new Fuji D6. The next 'I need' appears to be wheels. Stock wheels on the Fuji are 535 Oval Concepts - they seem to roll alright, but what would I know? I've also got a set of climby Dura Ace C24s.

I'm coming around to the thought that besides looking cool, aero wheels suit the riding I'll be doing (fairly flat freeway on hotmix as smooth as a pros legs) but what should I be looking for? I'll be 53 kg on race day and I just don't think my 75kg Mens friends recommending full disc wheels quite get what it can be like in a breeze.

So Womens, how aero do you go? Particularly if you're in the mid 50's kg class - what profile works for you?
Quote Reply
Re: How aero do you go? [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set of full carbon clincher wheels that are 65mm rim depth, front and rear (Bontrager). Love them!
I have used a disc in the past and didn't care for it, definitely felt 'blown around' at times in crosswinds and such. Similar weight to you. My husband loves the disc wheel. Me, not so much.
I have also used Zipp 303s in the past and loved them too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a HED Jet 6/9 and 9/Disc combo and love them both. Have ridden the disc in the wind a few times and once I got used to how it feels I do not get the blown around feeling. The 6/9 is a pretty solid combo!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race at 54-55kg, so pretty similar there. I picked up a set of Hed race wheels several years ago -- deep dish front (sorry, I don't know how deep, but deep enough that even long-stemmed tubes won't work in them) and trispoke rear. I've raced in some very windy conditions with them (Cozumel, for example, and one of the local oly course around here with wicked crosswinds), and they did fine. If there's a really nasty crosswind gust, I'll get blown around, but I'd get blown around with any wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: How aero do you go? [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all!

I'm going to lash out in a very minor way and get some Planet X 52mm clinchers and see how they go. I'm working on the principle that
a) I need to be able to afford to put my daughter through school.
b) I'm not going to stress the wheels that much with my weight so I don't need a Rolls Royce brand.
c) I'm only going to ride them occasionally so see point b) and point a).
d) I'd rather buy new than used and know where they've been and who's been sitting on them.
e) If I flat I'll know what to do with a clincher.
f) They get good reviews.
g) I can then afford to get the really funky Air Attack helmet:-)
h) I'm MOP so it's largely to satisfy my bike envy more than anything.

Enough justification - get the credit card out!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart reasons all. With the Planet X, or any race wheels, I say Ride Them all the time! I don't race enough not to ride them, my H3s look cool as hell and I love it.
Enjoy the wheels and good luck in your race!
Quote Reply