Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Winter bike training
Quote | Reply
For triathlons I should use about 40-50% of my training time for cycling. This is no problem in spring/summer. During winter (at least when it is cold < 5C and dark ) I run about 50% of my training time.

How much do you train in each discipline in winter. Do you do many hours/miles on trainer/roller?
For me indoor cycling is only possible in the evening (too loud in the morning). And I can't/won't train much more than one hour per session because it is too boring also if I watch TV.

Felix, Switzerland

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Re: Winter bike training [felix__w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In spring/summer/fall I spend about 50% of my time on the bike with 30% swimming and 20% running. I know I should spend more time running but (1) I hate it (2) my bad knee acts up if I run too much. When winter comes I more or less give up running in favor of cross country skiing which I do four times per week for anywhere from 1-2 hrs. a session. I live in a rural area and the trails are only a few minutes from my house. I'll swim in a pool once a week during the winter and ride my bike on the trainer three times a week for an hour each time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My "season" consists of duathlons, mountain centuries, and 6 hour+ training rides helping my buddies (the real athletes) get ready for whatever IM they've chosen for this year.

In winter time on the bike I shoot for 2 one-hour trainer sessions and then a 2 hour ride on the weekend. That's minimum. I'll carry the weekend ride to 3 hours under good circumstances - like NOT on a trainer - and I may add a brick. Over the last two years I have seemed to be on track by the time the du season starts in March.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter bike training [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]In winter time on the bike I shoot for 2 one-hour trainer sessions and then a 2 hour ride on the weekend.[/reply]
I'd like to do 2 hours rides on weekends. But when it is colder than 0C or it has snow this is not possible? Do you live in a aera with snow and temperatures below 0 Celsius.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two things just happened to me that made me change the way I approach winter training. One, I moved to Rochester, NY. So far this winter it has snowed more than 80 inches. The second thing that happened is I bought a computrainer. I have done 2, 2hr rides over the last 2 weekends (plus 2 one hour rides during the week) and the time has just flone by. I previously used a fluid trainer and 2hr rides were pure torture. Now, I look forward to them. It's well worth the money and the extended payment plan makes it somewhat affordable.
3 runs, 3 bikes, 3 swims per week in the winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd like to do 2 hours rides on weekends. But when it is colder than 0C or it has snow this is not possible? Do you live in a aera with snow and temperatures below 0 Celsius.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We consider biking a year-round activity here. Average winter time high is around 50F, although a given Saturday will usually range from the low 40'sF upward. When it gets closer to freezing, as is forecast for this weekend, I stay on the trainer. Renting a movie seems to help on the longer rides, especially adventure films. It was amazing how "The Scorpion King" generated a high cadence and pulse! :~)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a fun idea. I can imagine what a movie like Pre would do. :) Or maybe Tour highlight reels...
Quote Reply
Re: Winter bike training [Koz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tour videos rock!!!! When Lance makes the move on Jan, you just have to go with him. And that's the closest I'll ever get to him, for sure.

Check out http://www.worldcycling.com/. They do the videos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run x4 including intervals, bricks, a progressive pace run, and an easy long run.

Bike x2. 30 min Oly pace for one with 3 (1) minute surges, other session is 60 min progressive pace. No need for video's, music, distractions, these are hard efforts. I'll run after the 60 min session.

Swim x2, intervals one day, comfortable continuous swim at about Oly pace the other.

Wieghts x2 about 1:50 total.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter bike training [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't do easy rides for endurance on your indoor trainer? I noticed myself that during harder sessions I need less distractions.

Any other tips on winter bike training (cold climate).

Felix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felix,

I have done winter endurance training on the bike trainer in the past -- 2.5 hrs is the longest I've gone. I've got a coach now that has me focused on developing the horsepower which can be done with shorter yet harder efforts. I certainly prefer these over the mind numbing long stuff :)! And every chance we get with a weather break its out to ride in the real world.
Quote Reply
Re: Winter bike training [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]And every chance we get with a weather break its out to ride in the real world. [/quote]

I try also to go outside if possible. This weekend the temperatures should be above 0C. If the fog lifts (only rarely) the could go up to 6C. Hope to to a longer ride.

But there are sometimes longer periods were I am not able to go out. For this situation I like to hear opinions from other athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the first season that I got a coach. In the past, I would never be on the trainer this much during the off season, but I can see massive improvements. I've got some variety in my trainer workouts now and the different rep's keep me motivated. Yeah it can be boring, but you need to stick it out. I found it's about 99% mental. A good movie or some good tunes help make the time go by.

Personally, aside from my other training. I'm doing roughly about 6-6 1/2 hours/week on the trainer indoors training strictly within moderate Aerobic Heart Rate ranges. Typically, in a week, I'll do 3 sessions between 70-90 minutes at a high end aerobic HR during and a long trainer session of 2 1/2 - 3hours at a lower HR on the weekend followed by a 30 -40 min recovery run (usually Saturday). My hopes are that when April roll's around, I'll be ready for 5-6 hour rides at a high end Aerobic HR with no problem. To some people 3 hours on the trainer might sound like alot. It's no big deal to me anymore. I am focused on getting better.
Quote Reply