Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ti vs Al for Road Bike...?
Quote | Reply
I currently have a mountain bike and a 70's Schwinn road bike which weights in at about 32 lbs. For this next season I have begun looking for a new bike. At first I was thinking about a Felt or Giant mid level bike, in the $1200 range. However, today while I was shopping around, I have the sales guy suddenly remember, he recently got a Ti frame in on a used trade in almost perfect condition, sized right for me. Its a Merckx Majestic with a Carbon fork. Price is not bad either, under $1.8k to be built up full 105. It would be about $600 more than I was expecting to spend, but was curious to know if anyone had a thought on weather the Ti frame and carbon aero fork would be that much better than what I would be getting with a Felt F50 or F65 or similar bike.

I figured 105 was sufficient to start. I currently would not want to spend much more than the $1800. He11, even my wife is starting to loosen up to the idea of $1800. The other thought was that unlike and Al frame, this MAY hold its value better should I find in a hear the this Tri stuff is just not for me and I want out (not likely, but who knows). This being said because as I understand, the Al will fatigue over time which the Ti in theory will not do, I will not pretend to be any sort of expert here. In the future, if I continue wand want to make a component upgrade, or as stuff starts to wear out, I can do that, slowly move to Ultegra if I feel it is worth it then.

Thanks for any comments.

P.S. I should also know that I am 6'4" and about 205. Finding a frame/bike for me has not been exactaly simple. Can't find great deals on close outs and last years because they did not stock many in the big kids sizes to have left over. The frame is 62 cm and they will build to fit me, they feel the frame is sized properly for my frame.

--Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Ti vs Al for Road Bike...? [rshawgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo Duel $1400
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first choice you need to make is road bike vs. tri bike. Then worry about frame material.

The Merckx is a great bike, but it's a road bike with a slack (72 degree) seat angle. It can be set up as a tri bike ( with steep seat angle, areo bars) but there are draw backs. There's lots on the site about bike fit and the pro's and cons about steep seat angle.

Irony can be humorous, but it does not have to be.

"I've always said that an Ironman is a reflection of your character" - Kevin Moats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really, it's going to be hard to find a bike made in the last few years that won't feel like a rocket next to a 32-pounder. Man, those bikes were tanks back then weren't they? Makes those TdF guys look even more like studs back in the day!
As to material differences, all metals fatigue. It's just a matter of rate of fatigue under given conditions. The reason Ti has become a choice material for bikes is that it has a high strength to weight ratio. While one can keep the weight the same and make a much stronger frame, most have taken the approach with more customer appeal of making a bit lighter frame that is somewhat stronger. Besides, the real fatigue points are the joints, so a well-made frame will always outwork a poorly made frame. What the Ti frame will possibly do less of is corrode, but with light weather conditions and good care an aluminum frame will last nearly forever, too.
I think the Mercx would make a great purchase and, yeah, 105 is fine to start. As parts wear out or you feel other need, you can always upgrade piece by piece, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Ti vs Al for Road Bike...? [east coast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]The first choice you need to make is road bike vs. tri bike. Then worry about frame material.
[/reply]

I am leaning towards a road bike now. Maybe in the future I will consider a tri bike if I find that I am getting much more into the sport. I would however like a good road bike. I was mainly curious to know if the upgrade from Al to titanium was a noticeable worthwhile step or if a felt or giant al bike would be perfectly fine for me.

A problem I am encountering now is finding a shop which has the Felt F50 in stock in a big size that I would need. Most seem to be smaller sizes, in the 54/58 range.

[reply]The Merckx is a great bike, but it's a road bike with a slack (72 degree) seat angle. It can be set up as a tri bike ( with steep seat angle, areo bars) but there are draw backs.[/reply]

With this statement, are you suggesting the use of a replacement seat post to move the seat to a steeper angle and then the addition of aerobars? I had already considered the aerobars, but not the seat replacement.

Thank you much.

--Ryan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fit issues aside, ti is very comfortable, doesn't rust and you've got the 'bling - bling', factor, it looks nice. I ride ti, so I;m biased in favour of it. The main braw backs are cost (but it seems you've got a very good price) and some big strong guys (I'm not one) claim that some ti bikes are a little more flexible than they prefer.

Regarding aero bars and seat angle, there's a great discussion of tri bike fit by the inventor of the tri bike and the owner of this web site, which discusses the pros and cons of additions such as the forward seat post and aero bars. You should review it. The decision on bike type may come down to what you're going to spend most of your time doing on the bike.

Some people (such as the inventor of the tri bike and the owner of this web site) ride a road bike sometimes and a tri bike sometimes. Some really good triathletes ride slack seat angle road bikes with aero bars added (most will shorten the stem vs road postion see Dan's fit artical). I'm neither of these types; I ride a steep tri bike all the time. My point is, if you find that you really like a steep angle tri bike, the 'replacement seat post' is not the way to go. I've done it in the past, you can get aero, but the bike handling was for me not very good. Again I refer you to the fit articals to explain why.

The smart bike guys claim fit is the most important factor in determining how you will like your bike. If you know you want a road bike and the Eddy fits it sounds great. But I'd try a tri bike before you buy just to make sure.

Irony can be humorous, but it does not have to be.

"I've always said that an Ironman is a reflection of your character" - Kevin Moats
Quote Reply
Hated it! [rshawgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'0 and 143 lbs. Obviously I'm not laying down insane amounts of torque. I have always been a sucker for an amazingly stiff aluminum frame for some reason. I recently rode a couple ti frames at the LBS to see if it was worth considering a move on. Apparently what one man calls comfort another calls a wet noodle. the flex really drove me nuts.

if you like it, more power to you, but don't just get it cause it's ti. someone mentioned the dual, and someone else mentioned deciding whether you wanted tri or road geometry. For $1800 or less you should be able to find a fine ride that you'll be happy with for several years. A bad decision on a bike can be tough to live with if you're on a budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am leaning towards a road bike now.

Here's a joke about roadies vs tri-geeks.

Q. Why do roadies never wave at tri-geeks
A. Because they don't want them to crash when they take their hand of the aero bars to wave back

If you are getting only one bike ALWAYS get a road bike. To improve your biking skills join a roadie group and go on regular group rides with them. Tri-geeks have a bit of a reputation of not being very good bike handlers. The stereotype tri-geek is of a runner who owned a $300. Wal-Mart mountain bike before getting into tri and then goes out and buys a steep angle tri bike. These people can be very fast but downright dangerous to ride with. Obviously this doesn't apply to every triathlete as there are a lot of great riders in this sport , but I've known people that fit the negative stereotype. I started riding with a roadie group shortly after starting in tris and have learned more from them than I ever would just racing tris or training solo.

Having said that you should at least investigate the big slam position as an alternative to a forward seat post. This is described by John Cobb. I don't have his url at the moment but do a goggle search on "big slam" and "john Cobb" and you'll find his site. Essentially you slam your seat back, drop the seat an inch, use a shorter stem an use shorter "big slam" or Profile Jammer GT aero bars. If you are tall with long femurs this position might work well for you.

Bike ride comfort is more than just materials. Fit and frame design are probably more important. However, aluminium is regarded as the most uncomfortable material and least durable. Titanium is regarded as the most durable with a ride similiar to steel.
Quote Reply