Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bike travel cases....BikeBoxAlan vs Scicon Aerotech Evolution
Quote | Reply
I've shipped my bike a few times in a cardboard bike box to Florida, packed by bike shops and shipped by FedX with no problems in the past. What used to be a $30 packing charge is now up to around $50 one way. I've got several upcoming races throughout the year where I need to ship my bike including internationally to London in September and I want to better protect the bike and save on packing charges. I've looked at all the reviews and think I've narrowed it down to the Scicon and BikeBox but both are rather pricey. Anyone have practical experience with either of these two cases and where I might be able to find used? I don't need for another month or so but no luck finding in Slowtwitch classifieds, Craiglist, and Ebay so far. Any other suggestions for finding either of these cases used? Better choice.....new BikeBox or used Scicon? Thanks much.
Quote Reply
Re: bike travel cases....BikeBoxAlan vs Scicon Aerotech Evolution [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the SciCon and love it... expensive, but worth it for me.
Quote Reply
Re: bike travel cases....BikeBoxAlan vs Scicon Aerotech Evolution [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had both. I bought the Scicon AeroTech first but it was cracked by the TSA when I left the ITU Long Course Worlds in Las Vegas a couple of years ago (gotta love the TSA!) So I switched to the BikeBox. I prefer the BikeBox. It was significantly cheaper and the anti-crush pole is a great idea. However, the latter presumes the TSA puts it back in the right place after opening the BikeBox (you'd be surprised!) and it can be unwieldy without the Practical Strap that comes with the Scicon AeroTech (I actually use it on the BikeBox).
Quote Reply
Re: bike travel cases....BikeBoxAlan vs Scicon Aerotech Evolution [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for reply. Question.....I have a Zipp 900 disc on the rear and thought I read somewhere where you can't use the anti-crush pole with a disc. True? And would the case be safe enough without the pole? I use FedX shipping because of a big company discount so it shouldn't get the same abuse as an airline baggage handler. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
evoc... go for it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also got a BikeBoxAlan case. A SUPERB case, but to answer your question regarding a full disc wheel, no you can't use the anti-crush pole. However, I've used Trico, Thule, Serfas, and Scicon without issue and no one has an anti-crush pole.

I actually got mine from a site called bikeboxrentals.ca in Red with a number of decals like Cervelo, Shimano, and my name & flag. I got mine in red so I can see it from a distance. The case is less costly than the Scicon and I'd say better in a bunch of ways.

I won't touch soft shell or the EVO style case, as the cases aren't as robust and don't wear as well. It is an investment, a LONG term investment. Hope this helps in your decision and hopefully haven't confused you.
Quote Reply
Re: bike travel cases....BikeBoxAlan vs Scicon Aerotech Evolution [efdan61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efdan61 wrote:
I've also got a BikeBoxAlan case. A SUPERB case, but to answer your question regarding a full disc wheel, no you can't use the anti-crush pole. However, I've used Trico, Thule, Serfas, and Scicon without issue and no one has an anti-crush pole.

I actually got mine from a site called bikeboxrentals.ca in Red with a number of decals like Cervelo, Shimano, and my name & flag. I got mine in red so I can see it from a distance. The case is less costly than the Scicon and I'd say better in a bunch of ways.

I won't touch soft shell or the EVO style case, as the cases aren't as robust and don't wear as well. It is an investment, a LONG term investment. Hope this helps in your decision and hopefully haven't confused you.

Thanks for reply......and not confused.....yet. Why do you think the BBAlan is better than the SciCon? I'm now thinking SciCon because I just saw them listed on ProBike Kit for $770 and it appears to have lots of built-in padding. Did you get yours new or used and what did you pay? I haven't seen BBAlan for less than $700 new. More important, is the case robust enough without the pole? Yes, only looking hard shell for my P4. Thanks.
Last edited by: gphin305: Jan 18, 13 18:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought mine new - paid $790.00, haven't seen any used ones.
The reason for being better is:
1. The plastic housing is less rigid than the Scicon and less chances for cracking of the case, but the plastic is Very Tough.
2. The wheels are more recessed so less chances of being sheared off.
3. I also like that they have a 10yr warranty
4. As a (very) nice touch is that they have a bunch of colors rather than the boring black.

With regards to the pole, I usually don't get too excited if the pole is not there, but of course I would definitely prefer it to be there as it just gives better anti-crush. The plastic thickness of the bikeboxalan is definitely there so I very much like what I see with the design. We all know nothing is foolproof.

Besides you've got a sweet ride with that P4 - go for one of the colors from bikeboxalan, I think you'll be happy. I get a lot of complements on the case.
Quote Reply
Re: bike travel cases....BikeBoxAlan vs Scicon Aerotech Evolution [efdan61] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efdan61 wrote:
I bought mine new - paid $790.00, haven't seen any used ones.
The reason for being better is:
1. The plastic housing is less rigid than the Scicon and less chances for cracking of the case, but the plastic is Very Tough.
2. The wheels are more recessed so less chances of being sheared off.
3. I also like that they have a 10yr warranty
4. As a (very) nice touch is that they have a bunch of colors rather than the boring black.

With regards to the pole, I usually don't get too excited if the pole is not there, but of course I would definitely prefer it to be there as it just gives better anti-crush. The plastic thickness of the bikeboxalan is definitely there so I very much like what I see with the design. We all know nothing is foolproof.

Besides you've got a sweet ride with that P4 - go for one of the colors from bikeboxalan, I think you'll be happy. I get a lot of complements on the case.

Sounds good......thanks for all your input....very helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi gphin305!

Thank you for considering getting SCICON.
We love to hear comments (good or bad) about our products. It is part of our philosophy to constantly improve products through feedback and cooperation with athletes.

If you have any questions or doubts about any of our products we are happy to help you.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: bike travel cases....BikeBoxAlan vs Scicon Aerotech Evolution [SCICON] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone use the Scicon hardcase with a tri bike? Do you have to remove the aerobars or just the wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: bike travel cases....BikeBoxAlan vs Scicon Aerotech Evolution [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a SciCon case that I pack my tri bike into. I drop the stem to lower the aero bars and the bike fits beautifully. I like this case better than most because it packs very efficiently, easily and quickly. When TSA opens it they can see everything without disturbing the bike. I have two complaints: the locks come undone easily and the wheels need to be sturdier.

Jacqueline
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd question the Scicon aerotech Evolution as I purchased one a month ago, used mine twice and upon gently closing the two halves of the case the case cracked where one of the locks are. All I did was close it give it a gentle wiggle to seat it correctly and as it popped into place the crack appeared. I'm now being bounced between the manufacturer and online retailer as to who is responsible for taking a look at this under warranty. Neither have read my email and both deflected.

I've watched videos of these being bounced out of trucks and know they're durable hence me purchasing one however the service in finding so far is lacking.
Last edited by: Dogma_Arron: Jun 28, 22 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.premierbike.com

You don't need to remove your base bar.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Re: bike travel cases....BikeBoxAlan vs Scicon Aerotech Evolution [scobig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scobig wrote:
I have had both. I bought the Scicon AeroTech first but it was cracked by the TSA when I left the ITU Long Course Worlds in Las Vegas a couple of years ago (gotta love the TSA!) So I switched to the BikeBox. I prefer the BikeBox. It was significantly cheaper and the anti-crush pole is a great idea. However, the latter presumes the TSA puts it back in the right place after opening the BikeBox (you'd be surprised!) and it can be unwieldy without the Practical Strap that comes with the Scicon AeroTech (I actually use it on the BikeBox).

Yeah TSA and the equivalent from other countries may not put it back correctly. We have had this happen to us as well but luckily no damage to the bikes. I do like our BB Alans. I can't compare it to other cases since the BBAlan is our first bike travel case.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply