Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you know when to change your groupo
Quote | Reply
Hey! I'm just wondering when my groupo needs changed. I recently took my bike to the bike shop to get a tuneup and the mechanic said I need to change the whole group set. A male friend of mine after hearing this said they are probably trying to take me for a ride. I know something needs changed because even after the tuneup my bike isn't shifting right, and my shifters have some lax in them (compared to how they use to feel). When do you know your group set needs replaced?
Thanks for reading, Andrea
Quote Reply
Re: How do you know when to change your groupo [emmaelvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What groupo and how old is it? And what other maintenance have you had done lately (new chain, new cables, new cassette)?

I find it hard to believe you would have to replace everything at the same time but if I know a bit more I may be able to provide a better opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you know when to change your groupo [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bike has original components on it. I change the chain every season, the cables got changed about 2 years ago, the cassette I changed about every season also, breaks I do about every other season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I forgot to mention my bike is 5-6 years old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would find it hard to believe that the entire groupo failed at the same time especially since you seem extremely diligent with routine maintenace. I would get a recommendation from a second mechanic before purchasing a whole new groupo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Start with the cables...if you're changing the rest of it that often there shouldn't really be anything else that dies within 5-6 years. I had a bike with Shimano Sora on it with well over 4k miles that was still going strong when I sold it.....the bike shop originally told me to expect about 1,000 miles before swapping it out.

You seem to have a good mind for maintenance, I'd start with the cables & see if that helps. It's also typically the cheapest fix!

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll echo the other comments that it's unlikely that you need to replace the whole gruppo. I have a Campy Veloce gruppo that I have had installed and active for 12 years and 50-60,000 kms on it. Only things I've changed? 2 chains, 1 cassette, 2 sets of cables.

Shifters lax? Recable them.

First off: give your bike a really REALLY good clean & lube, then see how the shifting is acting...

Try another shop or buy yourself a copy of Zinn and learn to adjust your shifting yourself. Lots of things can cause poor indexing from der misalignment to cable degradation to dirt & rust.

Good luck!
AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How do you know when to change your groupo [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input. I will check with another shop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'not shifting right' and 'lax shifters' to me point to shifter cables needing replacement (just did mine a few weeks ago and my mtb went from super crappy rough shifting to 'perfect' shifting, without changing anything else).

I don't think I've ever heard of anything causing a 'replace your gruppo' scenario, I don't want to point fingers at the shop but if somebody told me that the only way to get my bike to shift well would be to spend 1-1.5k to replace the whole drivetrain I would find a new shop pronto...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I haven't been on here in a long time, I do read daily. I find it hard to believe that you need a new gruppo. Although it is possible. However it sounds like just a shifter problem? Thus you don't need the brakes, hubs, etc. that come with a gruppo. Like mentioned before change the cables. More importantly the housing. A bit of frayed end on the housing can make a complete mess of shifting. I find a trim of housing ends is more important than changing cables. Another shop may also be in question? However, I did just spend more than a couple of hours on a bike this week changing out cables, chains, casettes, der, all more than once. Frustrating to say the least. In the end it was the shifter that did need replacing. I also find spraying Clean Streak in the shifter helps clean out the dust and crap that accumulates over the years.

Scott McNamee
Cranks Bicycle Shoppe
Quote Reply
Re: How do you know when to change your groupo [cdnbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This shop doesn't sound reliable...

I'm not sure what group you have, but I've had problems with my Shimano shifters gunking up after some years. If you try to shift, but it doesn't do anything for a few clicks or you click and feel no resistance you might want to try cleaning it out. You can google this problem or what everyone else seems to recommend is use WD-40 to loosen the hardened grease and then shoot it with some wet lube. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are being taken for a ride. You may need some drivetrain replacement, chain, cassette, and chainring, but not a whole groupset. Cables could be gummy and that could lead to some wonky shifting. Before the tuneup all of these may have been working fine because they wore together. after a tuneup and cleaning, stuff doesn't mesh together quite as well and problems become more noticeable. Have another shop look for wear on the chain and cassette, then expect to pay between 100-120 to replace them. more if you have to do the chainrings.
Quote Reply