Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crash/crack your helmet and you will know why
Quote | Reply

Crash/crack your aero helmet and you will know why the USCF requires certified safety helmets while racing.

This stems from the California state team time trial championships in San Diego this past weekend.

At the event, 55 teams of 4 members each circle the 4.1 mile island 6 times, or 40k. Thats over 200 riders at speeds of 23-30 MPH. The course was closed to traffic.

The said section of course has a bending right then left turn with a slight rise - and it has potholes/bad road.

I want to post excerpt of an e-mail I recieved today, from a very fast rider on a 'name you would recognize' team that would have likely won, had his team stayed intact, ... such is TTT.

"We were on pace for a 50 minute ride, we went through the first two laps right on schedule. Then one of our riders crashed hard in the first
turn. He apparently touched wheels with the rider in front of him through
the bumpy pavement in that corner. I was right behind him in line and dont know how I didnt go down. It was one of the hardest crashes I have ever seen. He hit the deck at 30+ mph. We all coasted up the road a ways trying to see if he was O.K.. We had just begun to circle back when [he] screamed for us to keep going."

"The real reason I am writing to you though is that [his] Garneau prologue helmet was cracked right down the middle when his head hit the ground in the crash. [He] appears no worse forwear and is at work today. In the days leading up to the race, we were all wishing that we could use our cool Euro head fairings for the TTT, I have a Briko, some of the other guys have Limars etc but after seeing the damage to [his] helmet I thank our lucky stars USA cycling requires approved helmets even for time trials."

and another account from another team involved in the crash:

"On the last lap, just before the uphill right turn, our team passed team 'D', and the Excel-erate [ed. note: they won the state championships] team passed us. Into the corner Excel-erate was passing team 'A', when team 'A' riders collided and 1 or 2 went down."

"One of the Excel-erate riders hit them and went down. My teammate hit him and went down. I swerved around him and my other teammate hit me and went down. A team 'D' rider hit him and went down. Another 'D' rider hit his fallen teammate and went down. 6 or 7 riders went down."

"Injuries on my team, 18 stitches in one rider. Collapsed lung and multiple fractures of rib cage in the other. Still in hospital."

In the UK, where safety helmets for TT are not a requirements, riders are now facing banishment from a race course after two riders had died within a six week period due to auto collisions. I do not have details on the injuries, but wearing a head fairing instead of a helmet probably does not help:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/...3+19%3A02%3A55%3A760

http://www.eadt.co.uk/...3+23%3A41%3A47%3A723

http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/...3+12%3A49%3A10%3A773

Moral of the story: Be like the Bunnyman and wear your helmet.

Gary
Last edited by: TimeTrial.org: Sep 8, 03 20:48
Quote Reply
Re: Crash/crack your helmet and you will know why [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wearing helmets prevent life-changing injuries to your head. I could have had two life-changing injuries this year.

You can be the greatest bike handler and still have an accident. A dog can get into your spokes. An unknown pothole can happen. Contact with the rider in front of you can happen. Accidents happen so quickly...

You never know when your number is to be called- wear your helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Crash/crack your helmet and you will know why [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add me to the list of those who wouldn't still be here, save for the US requirement that an approved helmet be worn in all races. Flipped over a suddenly downed bike/rider during a points race (road, not track) in '97, landed wrongside up, then slammed head first into a Belgian block road kerb on a corner at right angles to the course.

Even with the helmet, had two skull fractures and spent three days in la-la land in and out of consciousness in the ICU. 'Nuf said.

FWIW -- in the UK, only England (and maybe Wales and N.I.?) allows you to race helmetless. Actually, they tend to wear those head faring deals, which are about as protective as a swimming skincap. Scotland's racing body absolutely requires an approved helmet.

I had the opportunity to race a terrific TT there in '00 (Dundee-Perth-Dundee -- Graham Obree still holds the course record on it), and the rule was very strictly enforced.
Quote Reply
Re: Crash/crack your helmet and you will know why [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in for "alive if it wasn't for that sub-one-pound-best-piece-of-cycling-equipment-I-ever-bought club"

Going 25mph, T-boned by a Ford POS, making a left turn from the opposite way. Launched me over a jeep with a lift kit - head first onto the ground into the curb of a gas station. And for my next trick... Luckily got away with it with a concussion slight knee damage and a lot less skin. I was lucky. My helmet looked like it took a gun shot... from a howitzer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Crash/crack your helmet and you will know why [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am here today because of the helmet I was wearing in 1987. I was getting read to go back to college for football camp and I was going to go on a medium distance training ride. It was a super hot day and I left without my helmet. My brother who was also home chased me down the road with my helmet and argued with me until I agreed to wear it. I was about 12 miles into the ride, pedaling up a long hill when a car hit me from behind traveling at 60 miles per hour. The police later told me that I flew through the air approximately 36 feet before I landed on the road on my head. The helmet I was wearing cracked into multiple pieces. I still ended up spending about 11 days in the hospital. I am sure that I would NOT be here today writing this if it were not for the helmet I was wearing that day. After being away from cycling for 16 years (this is my first year back on a bike) passing cars still make me very nervous. But you would not catch me for a second without my helmet now. I am not one to tell others what do to, but there is NO reason that anyone should ride without a protective helmet.

XXLTriathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race in the UK and although everyone must wear a helmet whilst racing, I see lot's of athletes warming up before the event without a helmet, don't they understand that you don't have to be racing to come off your bike. Was at one event where the RD stated that anyone caught on the course without a helmet at any time would be DQ'd, this should be compulsory.

Remember, keep in touch with yourself!
Quote Reply
Re: Crash/crack your helmet and you will know why [Catwalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add me to the list of "Lucky to have a lid"

I have been saved by a Specialized Cobra and a Specialized Sub 6.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
worn a helmet every ride since 1980. still received 5 concussions [2 road 3 dirt] would have been worse with out a good lid. I use a bit more protective gear doing my dirt racing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I heard, there were quite a few problems with that race, all stemming from having 200+ riders busting their asses on the rivet around a rutted one-lane road with sugar sand on each shoulder. There was apparently no room for error and multiple instances where packs formed.

Would have been a good idea (with the benefit of hindsight) if the officals staggered each division with a 15-20 minute buffer. Might have helped to keep the congestion down and would only mean an extra hour or so of road closure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Re: Crash/crack your helmet and you will know why [3Sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is plenty of room to pass with exception of a few corners.

there were no crashes last year, the problem is that everyone wants the same line and the faster teams do not announce their intent to pass all the time.
Last edited by: TimeTrial.org: Sep 10, 03 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I race in the UK and although everyone must wear a helmet whilst racing, I see lot's of athletes warming up before the event without a helmet, don't they understand that you don't have to be racing to come off your bike. Was at one event where the RD stated that anyone caught on the course without a helmet at any time would be DQ'd, this should be compulsory.

Some extremely compelling testimonials here -- including several who are still here only by the grace of having worn a helmet.

(I was saved not only by that, but by some odd luck as well -- an official had a cellphone which got a signal in a very rural area, and a fellow racer happened to be an EMT who knew a special number to call other than the standard 911 -- he diverted a Medivac chopper which they put down right on the race course).

Catwalk: excellent point. In the USA, USCF regs. require you to be wearing a helmet at any time you are on or near the race course -- this includes warming up near the course and warmdown rides afterwards.

Not doing so is grounds for a DQ, even if you've already completed the race or TT. Kinda drives the point home nicely.

Eric: cool Galactic Warrior photo of you! Looks pricey, but worth it.
Last edited by: alpdhuez: Sep 9, 03 16:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Catwalk said: "Was at one event where the RD stated that anyone caught on the course without a helmet at any time would be DQ'd, this should be compulsory."

Well speaking of, and in light of the banter last week about Jack Weiss...

I was at a recent race he was putting on. The pre-race packet pickup and meeting took place in a banquet room of a local hotel (most of the out-of town racers were staying there). At the meeting he very adamantly stated that if he caught anyone even riding their bike in the hotel parking lot the evening before the race, he would automatically DQ them. No questions asked.

I was thinking.."man, how anal can one guy be", but he runs a tight ship and doesn't want any issues...with injuries, lawsuits, or yanking his insurance from him. RDs just can't risk that shat these days.

Oh, yea, a helment saved my ass too..went endo mountain biking -- landed sqare on my head on a big rock. Thank god for my head gear. Makes me cringe to think about what I used to do sans-helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll fess up, we (Spinergy) were the team that crashed, had a flat, stopped, waited, kept going......everything that could go wrong did. Some teams were not very cooperative when being passed and some teams decided they didn't want to be passed so dragged raced you down the road (not a good strategy on their part) oh well, that is why its a TEAM race.... Gary, there seemed to be a lot of photographers, anythoughts on picture postings? Keith
Quote Reply
Re: Crash/crack your helmet and you will know why [Keith Miller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you have any pics I'd post them, so far all I could find are: http://home.nethere.net/bokro/catttchamps03.htm
Quote Reply