Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Size matters not [Iron Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>so be careful when you ASSume that someone is a newbie...<<

Thanks for the warning, but I don't believe I called you a newbie. I said you had just registered for the forum. I did not infer one from the other.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [Iron Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike I am going to have to disagree with you. I must assume you are in some shape or you would not be following this forum. I too live in the country (have more cows for neighbors than people), but that does not give you a reason to be unresponsible. Just because you live in the country does that make it "OK" to murder, steal, or sale crack? Shit no! you still have to abide by the law. I know some areas do not have "leash laws" my county does not. I have been bitten twice, and each time I have been told by our Sheriff's Dept. that when the animal enters the Public road I can use "whatever legal means" is needed to protect myself that means yes the owner has the right to let the dog run free, but the rider has the right to use pepper spray! If I rode in your area and your dogs were chasing me I would know the laws and if the same as where I am I would bust your dogs ass too. I am not as good with a pistol as the other poster, but maybe with some practice I could learn to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Size matters not [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry for angering some of you. English is not my first language. Although I have been here a long time for training, I sometimes say things that are maybe too harsh. I'm especially sorry towards you Ironclam, where I come from someone just registering for something we call a newbie (well, the German version)...

I run a lot better than I write, I should shut up and go running. I will never post here again, I promise.
Quote Reply
Re: Size matters not [Iron Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>I run a lot better than I write, I should shut up and go running. I will never post here again, I promise.<<

No need to never post again. Disagreement is good sometimes! And, your English is better than my German, which is non-existent.

Though it would be nice if we knew who you were. And please, Brian Wagner? I'll have to run out the room screaming. ha ha

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [jlb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The post wasn't for sympathy and really wasn't really about the little dogs. It was about the owner.'

Well, why didn't ya say sooo....

The owner was a total jerk. Her response could have caused you serious injury. Unfortunately some people have short fuses and sometimes things can get out of hand. I still believe she would have likely been less riled if you used a water bottle.

I'd continue to ride the same route, but leave the pepper spray at home.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes leave the pepper spray at home. Next time get off your bike, pick up those annoying little yappers and drop kick them back into the yard. Have a frame pump ready if they come back. A little batting practice should solve the problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Next time"

Words of wisdom from our resident redneck radiologist?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrong again. Not a redneck, just sick of getting sent to the hospital busted up from hitting a dog and am willing to fight back.
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [slick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a bit of knowledge about a little yapper that chases bikes. I had a poodle catch up to me at 29mph and dive into the back of my front wheel. There is only one way out of that mess. Road rash, for both the dog, who got trapped under my front wheel and myself, including second degree ass burns. (yeah, try sitting on that) Owner didn't even apologize. I did moon him though, because my shorts got burned off my ass on the left side. Sherriff fined him for not controlling his dog. puppy assult.
If you own a dog(s) you are responsible for it's actions. If it charges right to the property line then turns I prepare to defend myself. If someone comes running towards me screaming like he is going to hit me I'm dropping his butt before he winds up to swing. Same with a dog, or your dog or my dogs. I say if you got spray, water, a pump use it.
Dogs aren't slow even if their owners are.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon Cerveloguy .... "overkill" from a little pepper spray.... Overkill might have been if he had punted the two yappy critters back onto the owners yard or stomped them. As a dog owner for many years and a runner/triathlete for many more I must say that I have a love/hate relationship with dogs mostly because of irresponsible owners. I love my dog (even though he chewed my Carnacs to pieces when he was a puppy) but have had so many bad experiences with dogs whose owneres let them roam. In my opinion, if your dog ever leaves your property to visit or accost anyone then it should be tied up. End of story. I hate it just as much when I'm on a run through a park and a friendly dog comes up to me and I'm forced to stop because he wants to jump up on me and say hi as I do when a snarling German Sheppard shows up and wants to bite me (well maybe not quite but it is still a pain). I had a run a couple of years ago where this idiot sitting on his front porch watched his German Sheppard run out and get in front of me and start snapping and snarling. He got pissed at me when I positioned myself to kick his dog in the head if it tried to attack. Same thing happened in a park where a little Sheltie did the same thing and the lady who owned it got mad when I told her I'd boot her dog in the head if it tried to bite me. Irresponsible dog owners are a huge problem. A little spray kept the yappy critters from any real harm ..... maybe some of it should have gone towards the owner but unfortunately that doesn't seem as acceptable to society.
Quote Reply
Pit Bull? Surprise! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did I ever forget this! A couple of years ago I went for a Winter nighttime run. I didn't get 1 mile before an on-the-loose PIT BULL decided to come say hi to me. I kept very cool, did NOT try to pet it (for fear of my losing my perfectly good digits) and walked with the stupid dog back to my house with a little coaxing. I was able to get inside my house while telling the dog to stay. I waited to see what the dog would do in hopes that it would get bored and go away. No such luck. For the safety of the rest of the public and the dog, I called Animal Control to come pick it up. They found it and put it in their truck for transport, but called me back to ask if I was sure this was the dog because it was so sweet. I told him, "I don't care how sweet it is, it's a PIT BULL roaming the streets without any supervision. Who knows what it will do?!" Needless to say, my run was done.

After this incident, I really wanted to drop-kick some sense into this irresponsible dog owner, not the dog.

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Pit Bull? Surprise! [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I don't care how sweet it is, it's a PIT BULL roaming the streets without any supervision. Who knows what it will do?!"

ok this brings out the bear in me. dude a pit bull is just a dog. it ain't no crazed killer. a heartless predator. a programed killing machine.

a childhood friend of mine came from a family that bred pits. i practicly grew up around these dogs and never ever ever had a problem. if anything i can say with out a doubt they are some of the most loyal, good natured and trainable dogs out there.

the problem you and other people have with these dogs is what humans have done to them. i won't lie and say these dogs aren't fighting dogs. they where bred to fight. they get thier name bacuse they where used to control or kill if need be bulls in pits. they have a heavly muscled body and a jaw that can crack engine blacks. for this reason a group of society thinks its a great idea to fight them.

to get these dogs to fight they are starved and beaten. sometimes they have there legs and jaws ducted taped shut and older pits are allowed to chew on them. this helps make them meaner and tougher. well as you can guess the sub-human apes that do this to a dog have no real concept of proper animal care. the dogs are usaully able to escape and since they have been trained to be evil they act how they are trained.

"great" you say. "how was i to know that dog wasn't an escaped fighter?" good question, here is the answer.

you would have been jumped. when a pit goes it goes. no tracking down the pray or trying to feel you out. it would have just jumped.

the fact it followed you and hung out at your house shows this dog has been treated well and was not threat.

you where right to call animal control and not invite this dog to be your best friend. an unknown dog is a threat. my issue is if the dog had been a pug or a lab you wouldn't have posted. all dogs can be incredibly dangerous. ask my sister in law about the abused yorky she tried to save. it might have been small but it took a lot of her blood by the end of the four week ordeal. finally had to be put to sleep. so cerveloguy any dog is worth a pepper spray in my book.

preaching over, ranting done. it's just a soft spot for me. like the skin head movement a few bad eggs and the worthless US media has banished and destroyed something in the name of ratings.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Pit Bull? Surprise! [customerjon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon, my boy, you don't have to rant to get your point across. I hear you loud and clear.

You took one statement I made out of context and proceded to reiterate some of my points while making other very good points of your own. I now realize a Pit Bull dog has to be trained to kill me and if it is so trained, I will know it becase "it would have just jumped." That statement doesn't comfort me, not one bit.

You are absolutely, 100% correct when you say that "the problem you and other people have with these dogs is what humans have done to them." Damn straight. That's why I made the statement "After this incident, I really wanted to drop-kick some sense into this irresponsible dog owner, not the dog."

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Pit Bull? Surprise! [haystack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon, my boy, you don't have to rant to get your point across.

sean no staement has ever been more true. ;)

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jlb I just wanted to tell you that for what it's worth I'm 100% with you. I think that what you did to the dogs was absolutely the right thing to do and that you may even have underreacted when dealing with that bitch (but that just shows what type of balanced caring person you are).
I basically like dogs, I simply think that they don't have any right to even come near me and sniff me, much less try to throw me off when I'm riding. Unfortunately I 've had a lot of unpleasant encounters with them both when running and when riding and in the last few weeks I began running with a special mace that I purchased in Switzerland. To make a long story short, I did exactly what you did a month ago while runnning in Roma (not exactly a rural area), the owner was mighty pissed (he was pretty amused when the dog came full speed toward me), but I threatened with a lawsuit (in Italy dogs cannot roam free anywhere), the guy kept on and I was really tempted to spray mace on his sorry face. Fortunately a cop walked by and I was able to explain him what was going on. Guess what? The officer suggested to go and sue his ass, which I promptly did. We'll see what happnens
Quote Reply
Re: Dog & Owner Confrontation [maz z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi maz z. You are very kind in your remarks, as were several others who posted. Even some of those who posted with critical opinions, cared enough to respond.

I wish you the best in your efforts related to your own incident. Each person has to use their own best judgement about how to deal with what happens to them, at the time of the incident and later, if they have that option.

This original thread was my first post on this forum and the best way to describe the experience is "interesting".

jlb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been bitten by a dog (while running) and believe me it hurts just as much from a small dog (a bordor collie in my case) as it does from a big one (a german sheparad another time).

Do owners, no matter city or american gothic rural location have a responsibility to train and control their dogs. I have no compunctions about spraying any size dog with water, halt or anything else that's useful. I have used sticks, pebbles, water and gatorade at varaious times to fend off the little darlings. I'm pretty wary and never trust someone who says "he won't bike".

Why dog owners ("custodians" now?) think it's ok to let their animals chomp on human legs is beyond my comprehension.

As far as the woman with the car- that's assult, she's lucky you didn't make a complaint.

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply

Prev Next