Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

STI Triple adjustment problems
Quote | Reply
I've worked on my own and other's bikes for years, but haven't touched a STI triple until this weekend. I was helping out a friend with a 105 Triple setup. The problem is that it is extremly difficult to get the chain onto the largest chainring. It takes some serious force to get it out there. I tried all sorts of adjustments and it works but is still really stiff. I did not replace the cable and housing, but could that much drag really come from the cable and housing? I tried loosening and tightening the cable. I'm stumped on this one.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: STI Triple adjustment problems [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of questions might shed light on your challenge. Was your friend's triple factory installed, or an aftermarket change? Is the F/D clamp-on or braze-on? What make/model bike is it?
Quote Reply
Re: STI Triple adjustment problems [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I once re-installed my Ultegra triple such that the lever was in the "middle ring" position, and I clamped the cable onto the derr. with the derr. in the "little ring" position. One push of the lever moved the chain to the middle ring. Moving it to the big ring after that required a grunt-inducing push on the lever.

The lever was thinking, "Hey! I'm already on the big ring. What are you trying to do?"

Unclamp the cable. While putting some tension in the cable with your hand, click the inner lever several times to make sure the lever and its inner workings are on "granny gear" position. Then re-clamp the cable to the derr. with the derr. and chain on the granny gear and try again.

Beyond that, I'd have to see it and figure out something else.
Quote Reply
Re: STI Triple adjustment problems [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I gave it another go tonight and can't say exactly what I did, but now it is working fine. I did go ahead and put a new cable and housing on. I also followed your advice to make sure the shift lever was in the right position when I tightened the cable. It's working in any case.

Thanks

sweet
Quote Reply