Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
French men often overestimate their capabilities.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is something to be said for a guy who knows I've gained at least 10lbs this winter, (and who actually now weighs slightly less than me) but who tells me I look fantastic in everything I wear. (Even in my ugliest 1980's-era cardigan!)
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [cjdavids] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My husband actually prefers me with my winter insulation, and not just because I lose some of my boobs during race season.

Cheers!

-mistress k

__________________________________________________________
ill advised racing inc.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"You're welcome."

- The thrall alone takes instant vengeance; the coward never...
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa...Duff, do I need to add mind reading to your long list of talents? Dude, get outta my head.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
Whoa...Duff, do I need to add mind reading to your long list of talents? Dude, get outta my head.

What some see as clairvoyance is really just empathy.

My sister says she's psychic, but she lack empathy. And when I hear her thoughts they betray self doubt.

- The thrall alone takes instant vengeance; the coward never...
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Empathy, hmm. Is that what it is?

Duffy, I can barely bring myself to ask this for fear of your answer, but, do you, uh, play golf?

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
Empathy, hmm. Is that what it is?

Duffy, I can barely bring myself to ask this for fear of your answer, but, do you, uh, play golf?

I have my own set of clubs and I play every now and then. I used to play more but it just takes too much time. I pretty much only play with my son at a 9 hole par 3 course.

I've become much better at the game since I stopped caring.

My brother is a teaching pro, so golf was just "given" to me.

Why do you ask?

- The thrall alone takes instant vengeance; the coward never...
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I read your golf club/handle bar post. I was surprised by that. I wouldn't have guessed that you are a golfer.

I hate golf.

Golf? Acting? What else would surprise me?

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
Because I read your golf club/handle bar post. I was surprised by that. I wouldn't have guessed that you are a golfer.

I hate golf.

Golf? Acting? What else would surprise me?

I'm not "a golfer". Like I said, my brother is a pro and has been an avid golfer since he was about 12 or 13. We shared a room growing up so I have been exposed to golf since I was 9-10 yo. I just sort of absorbed it.

In my early 30s I tried (for a bit) to get "good" at it and became frustrated with the game and stopped playing. Since around 2005 or so I've played maybe 5 times on a real course.

As for playing with my son, that's all him. He had a swim meet at a local country club and was curious about the "golfing field" and said he wanted to try it. So I took him and he likes it. We go occasionally and hack the place up.

My brother hates that I don't take it seriously. He says I could be real good if I tried. I just like going out and spending time with loved ones while doing an activity. It could be frisbee or golf or whatever.

PS: I haven't acted in years. Again, it takes too much time (and it's too hard on me mentally).

- The thrall alone takes instant vengeance; the coward never...
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A recovering golfer then? Haha, ok. And "golfing field" is awesome, btw.

I'm sure your brother is right. You're probably very good at anything that gets your time and energy.

Golf and acting take too much time? I'm glad you found something less time consuming, like IM training;)

Acting is too hard on you mentally? Could you say more about that?

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"And "golfing field" is awesome, btw."

That's what I call it now.

"Acting is too hard on you mentally? Could you say more about that?"

I'm not any good if I don't go all in. When you dig deep sometimes you find treasures and sometimes you find decomposed corpses.

- The thrall alone takes instant vengeance; the coward never...
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, kindred spirit, it is that all in compulsion that brings us the highest highs and the lowest lows.

And I wouldn't want it any other way.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
luckytotri wrote:
I hate golf.

I thought I hated golf until I went to the driving range with my husband (who has been golfing since he was a kid - it's his parents only form of recreation); it can be tricky to pick up, but enjoyable. The driving range itself can be a great stress reliever - smashing a ball 150m or so makes me grin.

I don't play often due to the time commitment and expense (jeez, it'll only cost me $10 in lattes to go ride my bike all day with my husband!) and I play more "whack fuck" than actual golf, but it's nice to swing some clubs in what's essentially a big park on a sunny day with someone I love. Hell, I even figured out how to golf 1-handed after breaking my wrist just before going to visit my in-laws last year: I shot 78 for 9 holes (a little more than double par for the course), but had a hoot!

It used to be even more fun when I'd have a few drinks - a golf course is the only place you're allowed to drink and drive (carts)!

Cheers!

-mistress k

__________________________________________________________
ill advised racing inc.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The game itself is fine, sort of :) Though I think the pace of walking 18 holes on a hot day is just slow enough to be exhausting in the weirdest of ways. I played on my high school team my freshman year. I love the term "whack fuck"--that's brilliant. The driving range is totally meditative. I can dig that too, though I haven't done that in 10 years. And I rarely played without a couple of drinks on board--not because I had to get sauced, but just because I played better when I was more relaxed.

I hate golf because of the douchebags who play golf (Duffy, I'm sure your brother is an exception). I hate how elitist it is (yes, I realize I'm on a tri forum;)). I hate what it does to the environment. Every time I go visit my mom in Phoenix, I want to cry looking at the green golf courses (and people, and cars, and buildings, and pollution, and ...) and thinking about the Colorado River.

My mom and dad (divorced) each play a ton of golf. A ton. It ended up just being a complete turn-off. My Dad, for example, is currently on a three week golf trip in New Zealand with his buddies (not as big of a deal for him, as he lives in Australia). This will be one of four or five trips he does like this a year, and it just kind of baffles me. To each their own, but when I see them--out of shape, driving around in carts, on totally artificial environments, which are only maintained that way with lots of embodied energy and chemicals, in some of the coolest freakin places in the world (and, in my opinion, not seeing much, if any of the cool stuff), I just don't get it.

I'm very impressed that you played one-handed. Some combo of best ball, fun people and a one handed playing requirement, might, might, be enough to get me to play;).

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm lucky enough not to have dealt with any douchebaggery on the course, and in my area our golf courses are pretty low-impact. I like the challenge of it - it's a really bloody hard skill to master, like darts - and the laid-back strolling around on a lovely day. We're always sure to let others play through, because Tanker and I are just out there for laughs. Fun company is definitely a requirement! If it was just me, I'd probably go trail running or hiking instead.

Cheers!

-mistress k

__________________________________________________________
ill advised racing inc.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I love the term "whack fuck"--that's brilliant.

Me too. Just not necessarily relating to golf.

Quote:
And I rarely played without a couple of drinks on board--not because I had to get sauced, but just because I played better when I was more relaxed.
I used to be completely tanked by the end of 18. I don't drink anymore. Definitely play better sober. A little herb can help.

Quote:
I hate golf because of the douchebags who play golf (Duffy, I'm sure your brother is an exception).
He's a pretty humble guy, about as low key as one can be at 6'4 and 245lbs.. I know they type you're talking about, though. Kind of depends on where you play. At the little par 3 the boy and I play it cost $12 for the both of us, we hardly even see other people and the others we do see are the tshirt and tennis shoe crowd. It's a decidedly unserious place. Other places I play (when my cousin comes to town he always wants to play) are more, uh, golfy and you can get paired up with some real dicks (my cousin is kind of a dick to others, but he knows not to piss me off so he's cool with me).

When my brother comes to town we sometimes play at one of the local country clubs, and depending on which one, it can get real stuffy (it's always twosomes though).

One time me and a friend were paired up with a couple of jerkoffs and we proceeded to irritate the shit out of them (without them realizing we were doing it on purpose). It was hilarious. By the 16th hole it almost went to blows. One these guys had a thick NY accent and when I mentioned that my family was from the east coast and asked where he was from he said "I'm from east Montecito". Fat fuck.

I really think that golf has its place in 1st world society. I look at it as more of social construct than a sport. When I go with my son I teach him etiquette, and that's it. Wait your turn. Don't walk in front of shots. Be quiet. Count every stroke. He likes the rules part of it and those rules allow us to play with strangers at any course in the world without conflict. For me, golf has very little to do with putting a ball into a hole.

I hear what you're saying about golf courses being a scar on the planet, but it's certainly better than a mall or Home Depot or a parking lot. BTW, I do some environmental compliance work for a few courses and they are users of some nasty shit.

I think you need to go down to your local golfing field and play nine holes. Count every stroke. And realize that the more times you hit the ball the more golf you're getting for the fees you paid.

- The thrall alone takes instant vengeance; the coward never...
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has been a long time since I've tried my hand at whack fuck.

And there is a course near by that's called "High Point." It's definitely a t-shirt and tennis shoes kind of place. And you definitely want to stay on the fairway, or you're going to have to deal with cow pies and barbed wire. My girls would probably love it. They have clubs they've never used.

$12 for both of you in California? That doesn't seem possible.

The whole irritating the shit out of them without them realizing you were doing it on purpose thing? Awesome. I think I did that the last five times I played golf, but only because I was playing with complete dickheads. It really became a game. I had to keep buying my mom drinks because she knew what I was doing, and she was ready to kill me.

I always assumed your family was from California. Where are they from?

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
East Irvington, NY.

I'm CA born and raised. Other than an uncle/cousins in San Diego all my relatives are in NY.

It's $12 for me and the kid gets a head nod.

The local 18 hole city course is only $28 for residents.

- The thrall alone takes instant vengeance; the coward never...
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
East Irvington, NY.

I'm CA born and raised. Other than an uncle/cousins in San Diego all my relatives are in NY.

It's $12 for me and the kid gets a head nod.

The local 18 hole city course is only $28 for residents.

Well Duffy at least you get out and play and enjoy your time with your kid. My ex (note: EX) boyfriend loved the game. LOVED it. He would spend all day watching it, scanning all the sites for stats and stories on his favourite players and talk golf, golf, golf if I let him. Did he play it? Uh, why would he want to do that? It would mean being outside and walking and maybe getting exercise and being sociable. I didn't like the game much before I met him and I hated it when I finally gave him the heave-ho! (The crappy set of garage sale clubs he bought me followed closely behind).

The only link to the "nice shit that guys say" part of this thread is that he didn't argue when I broke up with him, and then I was free to move on with my life and do a couple of IM's. Being on a 5-hour solo ride was more fun than listening to some fat asshole yak endlessly about golf stats... :-))))
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [cjdavids] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That just seems really odd. Of all the sports to be fanatical about, yet not actually play, golf has got to be the worst.

I'm no fan of any sport in that I don't have TV and I don't really "care" how many xxxx some athlete did last season.

I like to play.

Like I said earlier, golf was "given to me" and I occasionally play with my son because he likes it. Sometimes we go to the skate park. They're both pretty much the same experience. We talk more on the golfing field than at the skate park though.

Sorry you had a fat asshole bf that chose a really boring "sport" to be obsessed with. I don't think I could tolerate being around any kind of nonparticipating sports fan of any kind for more than a day.

I'm trying to think of something nice to say for the sake of this thread. How about this... (I'm sitting here quietly listening to you)...

- The thrall alone takes instant vengeance; the coward never...
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
East Irvington?

My first roomate at boarding school was from Irvington. We ended up, or started out, there many a weekend. Can't say I remember it very well, but it was fun. Seemed nice.

I do remember being convinced one night at dinner with her parrents that I was getting splinters from a fork. We really shouldn't have been trying to eat. What up Vannessa S!

Funny, she lives in California now.

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Re: Nice shit that guys say... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I added a little story about the same moron in the "Dumb shit..." forum. I try not to think about the time I wasted on that relationship...

And, you said you were listening...that's always a nice thing for a guy to say to a gal. A much better male friend tells me that he just has "Dreamweaver" playing in the background of his mind when I start getting warmed up to a topic. For some reason that doesn't offend me. Probably because he's not some fat ahole obsessing about golf...
Quote Reply

Prev Next