Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who is Slowman?
Quote | Reply
No, I don't mean that literally. What I mean is, who is Dan Empfield? Yes, he's the founder of this site. Yes, he's the founder of QR, inventor of the tri-bike, tri-wetsuit, etc. But, who is he really? Clearly this man has had a profound impact on this sport, including myself, considering I ride a QR, sport a QR wetsuit, sit comfortably on his westsuit bike seat cover, and don various products touted heavily on this site. It just struck me that I have jumped on this site weekly for over 2 years, and yet don't know who the man is. It appears many of you go way back with Dan and probably know him quite well. So any great stories to tell, ribald or otherwise? Was he one of the IM heavyweights of the early days? Was he a well-known race director? Etc. Just curious.
Quote Reply
Monty Python and the romans [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What have the romans ever done for us?

Education.

Well allright but aside from education?

Running water......

all right, aside from running water and education.

architecture

ok, aside from the education, architecture and education.....

substitute slowman and say

tri bike

ok, except the tri bike......

tri wetsuit?

ok aside from the bike and the wetsuit?

slowtwitch,

ok, aside from the bike, wetsuit and website.....

FIST fitting

ok aside from the bike, the wetsuit, the website and the fitting methodology. what has Dan Empfield ever done for us?

On a more serious note, I think there is info on him on the site, grew up in UT I think, ran, involved in early days of tri etc etc
Quote Reply
Re: Who is Slowman? [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowman is a man who is slow.

he is a man with the same fantastic hair cut as mine.

he loves dogs and dogs love him. he just has a way with the bitches.

slowman heals the sick.

he turns water in gatorade.

last week. stopped an alien invasion. swear to god!

slowman tolerates me.

slowman fights foo and foo fights him.

he changes motor oil.

speaks both latin and esperonto.

does 12 once curls of hot outside.

introduces other people to his FIST.

moon walk. slowman patened.

does back spins, running man and more. partys down with vigor and candor.

allowed us to say quintana roo with out giggling. says fartlek with a straight face.

the question is not who is slowman. it's what is slowman.

aztec god? star trek geek? lover? fighter?

slowman is all us and none of us are him.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is Slowman? [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is no single slowman. we are a collective (like the borg) of slowmen, each of whom has his specialty.

when you ask a question about geometry, it's really john cobb who's answering under the slowman pseudonym, and when the topic is coaching it's actually paul huddle. and so forth. all the political essays and USAT criticism is written by steve locke.

as for the photos of slowman on the site, it's just a shot of a guy who answered a casting call. sort of like betty crocker or aunt jemima. i believe he's an underwear model in real life.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Who is Slowman? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...if that underwear model looks like Smith from Sex in the City, I guess the thought of the tri-borg is somewhat less frightening . . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Most people don't recognize opportunity because it wears bib overalls and looks like work.
~Teddy Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: Who is Slowman? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear it's the same deal with Martha Stewart, there are in fact many Martha Stewarts.

I think they're having a rough time comming up with an "inmate Martha".
Quote Reply