Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rotor Cranks Review [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I, in many ways, agree with your analysis. As I stated, I have theorized that i think the major benefit of the cranks is slowing the power stroke pedal speed down to allow the power muscles to contract at a more efficient contraction rate, allowing higher forces at less energy expenditure during the power phase.

One inefficiency that is built into the cranks, however, to achieve the above, is the fact that the recovery leg must speed up to get back over the top to be ready for the next powerstroke. I estimate it must achieve speeds up to 150% of the downward speed and 125% of the average. This takes more energy than on regular cranks because energy is related to the square of the speed. This takes a lot more energy than on regular cranks and so, it is unlikely that the non-PC trained individual will ever develop a good ability to unweight the backstroke since they don't do it on regular cranks.

Hi Frank. These numbers went through my subconscious last night. How do you come up with these high speeds? My physics may be foggy but wouldn't an average speed of 125% that of the downward speed also mean that the recovery crank would travel 25% further? This is obviously not the case.
Quote Reply
Re: I just hate the term ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Herb writes: "It may not be scientific but a 2-3 minute per hour time gain is pretty substantial and can't just be discounted."

Herb, you must be new around here. There are plenty of people who hang out here who can discount improvements like that, even more. We have been through this all with PC's, now it is RC's turn.

Until the scientific "proof" is there some of those here will NEVER be convinced. As I said in the other thread: I really don't think that any number of scientific studies will convince the doubters, no matter how valid the studies. The only thing that will convince the majority of the doubters is if a major team or a "Lance Armstrong" adopts the cranks and uses them to win a Tour de France. This is very unscientific but it works extremely well. We just need to look back at the development of the "Look" clipless pedals. They didn't take off till Bernard Hinault won the Tour using them.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks Review [Herb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herb wrote: These numbers went through my subconscious last night. How do you come up with these high speeds? My physics may be foggy but wouldn't an average speed of 125% that of the downward speed also mean that the recovery crank would travel 25% further? This is obviously not the case.

I don't know if the numbers are exactly correct, but the recovery crank wouldn't have to travel further, just as the power crank isn't traveling a shorter distance. The eccentric cam does the "trick", doesn't it? Your power crank is traveling a little slower while your recovery crank travels a little faster than the average speed of the two. Isn't that right? It's not a distance thing, but a speed thing.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks Review [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Herb wrote: These numbers went through my subconscious last night. How do you come up with these high speeds? My physics may be foggy but wouldn't an average speed of 125% that of the downward speed also mean that the recovery crank would travel 25% further? This is obviously not the case.

I don't know if the numbers are exactly correct, but the recovery crank wouldn't have to travel further, just as the power crank isn't traveling a shorter distance. The eccentric cam does the "trick", doesn't it? Your power crank is traveling a little slower while your recovery crank travels a little faster than the average speed of the two. Isn't that right? It's not a distance thing, but a speed thing.
It's both speed and distance, they go hand in hand. If you look at the action of the RC's you can see that when one crank arm is at the bottom the other arm is approximately 12degrees past the top. So while the Power crank travels through its 168degree stroke back to the bottom, in exactly the same time the Recovery crank travels 192degrees. Therefore, the Recovery crank is travelling faster to cover the extra 24degrees of distance. This is accomplished by means of the eccentric cam system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herb wrote: "These numbers went through my subconscious last night. How do you come up with these high speeds? My physics may be foggy but wouldn't an average speed of 125% that of the downward speed also mean that the recovery crank would travel 25% further? This is obviously not the case. "

I guess it is how you define recovery. If it is the part of the stroke that is above the average speed, then it would appear that the "recovery" distance is about 125% of the "power" distance. If it is between BDC and TDC then it is not. I was using recovery in the Rotors physiolgic sense.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OH, I see now what you mean by "distance". You mean the distance along the arc traced by the pedal spindle during each part of the stroke. Certainly, your use of the term "distance" is now clear regarding RCs.

I've a mental picture of a different device (that doesn't even exist that I know of!) that was contaminating my understanding. The idea that messed with my mental picture of "distance" is a sliding crank-arm lever that extends some on the downstroke and retracts some on the upstroke. Like I said, it's only a mental picture, not a real device. But, with my imaginary crank-arm, the pedal spindle would, indeed, be traveling a further distance on the power stroke and shorter on the recovery stroke. This would maximize power available from the extensors while minimizing the distance the flexors would be asked to move the pedal. I don't even know if such a device is buildable...it's fun to think about, though! What a radical change of pedalling technique if it were to be built, though! I should get it patented in case it is possible to make work!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
OH, I see now what you mean by "distance". You mean the distance along the arc traced by the pedal spindle during each part of the stroke. Certainly, your use of the term "distance" is now clear regarding RCs.

I've a mental picture of a different device (that doesn't even exist that I know of!) that was contaminating my understanding. The idea that messed with my mental picture of "distance" is a sliding crank-arm lever that extends some on the downstroke and retracts some on the upstroke. Like I said, it's only a mental picture, not a real device. But, with my imaginary crank-arm, the pedal spindle would, indeed, be traveling a further distance on the power stroke and shorter on the recovery stroke. This would maximize power available from the extensors while minimizing the distance the flexors would be asked to move the pedal. I don't even know if such a device is buildable...it's fun to think about, though! What a radical change of pedalling technique if it were to be built, though! I should get it patented in case it is possible to make work!
Rotors essentially do the same thing by varying the effective chain ring size throughout the pedal circle. (Smaller chainring has same effect as shorter crank arm and vice versa.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I realize this is only an academic exercise, not real-life, but I'm talking about actually decreasing the total distance of the recovery pedal spindle and actually increasing the total distance traveled by the power spindle, i.e., if you have a 175 mm crank arm, an arc of 175mm is constant throughout the revolution. The thing I'm imagining would vary the crankarm length so that you would have a longer than 175mm crankarm on the power side and shorter than 175 on the recovery side. Like I said, it's only an idea in my mind, not an actual device, at least, not that i know of!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I realize this is only an academic exercise, not real-life, but I'm talking about actually decreasing the total distance of the recovery pedal spindle and actually increasing the total distance traveled by the power spindle, i.e., if you have a 175 mm crank arm, an arc of 175mm is constant throughout the revolution. The thing I'm imagining would vary the crankarm length so that you would have a longer than 175mm crankarm on the power side and shorter than 175 on the recovery side. Like I said, it's only an idea in my mind, not an actual device, at least, not that i know of!
My wording didn't make it clear. If you look at the Rotors you will see that the chainrings and the crank arms are not concentric, they actually rotate around different centers! The chainring size variation over the pedal circle is REAL because of this. So it is exactly the same as if the crankarm size were changing. The way the Rotor accomplishes this is impossible to describe, you have to see it. The first time I saw the Rotor I had to stare at it for a very long time to see how it works. I still don't exactly understand the mechanics involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly (and happily), Rotor Cranks designer/developer Pablo Carrasco has himself just weighed in from Madrid on the other thread...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I realize this is only an academic exercise, not real-life, but I'm talking about actually decreasing the total distance of the recovery pedal spindle and actually increasing the total distance traveled by the power spindle, i.e., if you have a 175 mm crank arm, an arc of 175mm is constant throughout the revolution. The thing I'm imagining would vary the crankarm length so that you would have a longer than 175mm crankarm on the power side and shorter than 175 on the recovery side. Like I said, it's only an idea in my mind, not an actual device, at least, not that i know of![/reply]

Actually, Paula Newby-Fraser used a device similar to what you describe for a time during the 90s. I don't know if the prototype ever came to market or not. There's a photo in the latest Triathlete Magazine of her old bike on page 92. You can see the crankset, but it's hard to really see what it does. The hanging section extended the cranks on the downstroke, and released to shorten them on the upstroke. I recall them being featured and demonstrated during the TV coverage of a race during the time she used them, and I believe that she used them for around 5 years or so.

Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks Review [andrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! Didn't know that!

Quote Reply
Re: Rotor Cranks Review [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  Gary please explain,
Rotor cranks are guaranteed for 2 YEARS but if
you use them in competition the warranty is void.
If you cannot use them in competition, why
would the manufacturers expect you to buy them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herb, I didn't realize the cranks rotated around different centers...that's exactly what I was trying to imagine a sliding mechanism would be able to do. I was simply showing my ignorance about the device! Thanks for pointing it out...it certainly makes sense to do SOMETHING along these lines, at least to my small brain.

Quote Reply

Prev Next