Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Renn vs Hed Superlight vs Zipp 900 - 700C Tubular
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of getting a disk and am interested in the following models. I'm a consistent 5.15-5.20 IM rider and would like to go sub 5.10 this year. My weight is 156pound, so I don't think a disk will be a problem. From all reviews I gather a Zipp disk should have a better inertia and therefore make it a better wheel? But it does come at a cost, not that that really bothers me. What would you choose and why, are the Zipp disks dependable?

These are the stipulated weights on the website

Renn 1199g (read here theres a new model 100g lighter)
Zipp 960g
Hed Superlight 1270g (seems pretty heavy in comparison to the Renn!!!!) Is this the correct weight?
Quote Reply
Re: Renn vs Hed Superlight vs Zipp 900 - 700C Tubular [GH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
go with the renn. the dude who makes them has been on the forum some and seems to be quite a great guy. ttook responsablity for a bad disc one time. took a pair to do it. he deserves your buisness.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
actually, despite them being French, I would opt for a Corima, 1050 gms and $800 - best hub of the bunch

[url "http://www.corima.com/corima/gb/produits/roues/paraculaire.html"]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for the Renn Disc. The Zipp disk may be a little bit better (you probably won't feel it) but is nearly 4 times as expensive as a Renn disc. And all the other disc are at least double (often 3 times) the price of a Renn disc.

I use a Renn disc and it is great. I used it for IM Switzerland and rode 5:21 (1400m height).

Felix

http://www.weilenmann.ch.vu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have ridden many of the composite wheels out there, and I have only one thing to say: the Renn disc is the best value, therefore the best disc, of the lot you ask about.

Why? The Renn disc has the tolerance, hub smoothness, and the build quality equalling (or bettering) the discs you name. To get a lighter disc, you have to spend a lot more money, and have a flaky braking surface to boot (I am speaking of the all-carbon rimmed models).

I had purchased my first Renn disc in September of 2001. I expected nothing, as I have bought wheels that cost many times the low $320 (okay, now it's a bit higher) and they looked bad. This one was true as the day was long. I expected, at the very least, a beta-type model (as typically, early production can look very shaky). This looked like he had been doing it for years. I was very impressed with the hub smoothness, and the wheel looked like a million bucks (or at least the smooth look of a Mavic Comete disc).

When Frank was discovering that the glue he had been using was not the best out there, he had voluntarily asked me to send back my old disc. I speedily sent me out the one with the better glue. This is the proactive customer service that I speak of. I have not had to test out his customer service on damaged wheels, but from what I hear, he is surpassed by none.

I have gone on this diatribe as it seems that many small bike component companies end up not making it. When I came across what this man does for his customers, I made it my personal mission to trumpet the word from the mountain top. I urge you to make this purchase, as this guy deserves to make it. He does everything to make sure he keeps the good reputation he has earned, as well.

Make sure you get a tubular Renn disc, and you will have a great experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me and several of my buddies have old Zipp disks and they are very dependable. We all got ours used and paid quite a bit less than the MSRP. If I was buying a new disk, it would be a Renn without a doubt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bottom line performance wise- a disk is a disk is a disk. In fact, the $59.95 CH Aero wheel covers will work just as well as anything else if the outer circumference seal is good. A few hundred grams weight is going to have minimal performance advantage. Some people like designer labels, but a $29.95 Timex keeps just as accurate time as a Rolex. For value for the money, I'd personally buy a Renn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If price is an object, get a Renn. If price is no object, get a Renn. I can't tell you how many Zipp 909 wheelsets I have passed on my Renn disc and factory Ritchey front(waiting for Frank to start selling a front wheel so I can call it my 303, 1/3 the price).

Bob Sigerson
Quote Reply
Re: Renn vs Hed Superlight vs Zipp 900 - 700C Tubular [sig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'(waiting for Frank to start selling a front wheel so I can call it my 303, 1/3 the price). '

So could you call Frank's front wheel a 'Renn 101' if it is 1/3 the price of a Zipp? ;0)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Josh
Quote Reply
Re: Renn vs Hed Superlight vs Zipp 900 - 700C Tubular [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<< but a $29.95 Timex keeps just as accurate time as a Rolex.

hah!! you obviously haven't owned a Rolex ;-) a $29.95 Timex keeps better time, Rolex watches typically lose 5 minutes a month.

Renn Disk all the way. I ahve been racing one for two years now. The weight difference between the lot of them is negligable but the price difference between all of the disks is huge. Why pay $1000 for something when a $350 wheel will give you the same results.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you MUST spend 1000 dollars, buy the Renn, then donate the other 650.00 to a worthy bike cause of your choosing....junior development team, kids triathlon race, rails to trails, etc.

You will be very fast because, well, because discs are faster, and your good deed will even result in some favorable wind conditions from the bike gods.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Renn vs Hed Superlight vs Zipp 900 - 700C Tubular [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"hah!! you obviously haven't owned a Rolex ;-) a $29.95 Timex keeps better time, Rolex watches typically lose 5 minutes a month."

For 10k or whatever they cost, I most definately haven't owned a Rolex. But I have heard that they don't keep time as accurately as the Timex cheapo.

I know a guy who has a Rolex and has a cheap point and shoot camera. His brother has a 10k Leica 35mm camera setup and wears a $29.95 Timex. They both think the other is nuts.

I think they're both nuts, but then they both think I'm nuts for spending so much money on bicycles.

All a matter of priorities I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Renn vs Hed Superlight vs Zipp 900 - 700C Tubular [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a Renn website? I did a google search-....

*shoot, just drooled on the key board*

... but couldn't find it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Renn vs Hed Superlight vs Zipp 900 - 700C Tubular [muppet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nevermind - found it: http://www.rennmultisport.com - in case anyone else was looking for it...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
another renn vote! & clincher! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got a renn in april 2002. it has been a great ride. had the glue problem Bunnyman mentioned Frank bent over backwards to stand by his product. Heck last year Frank swapped wheels with a guy mid race cause the guy was using a renn disc, hit a pot hole (hard) and his wheel was shot. Frank finished with the wobbly Renn, and the other guy finished with Franks!

I have done 5 1/2 IM's an IM and prolly 10 oly/sprint races on mine. It rides great, and sounds even better! In summary, you will not regret buying the renn, I have yet to hear anyone who has?

One parting comment the clincher disk rides dam well!

All the best,

Rockfish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your choice is pretty simple. If you have the time to wait, get the Renn. It's a great wheel, the maker is as honest and helpful as they come, and the advertised weight is very accurate. If you need it right away, you better go for the Zipp. It's lighter,( but not by much com-ared to the gen2 Renn, which will cost more) and you can get it now, the Renn wait is time is quite long. The Zippp is very reliable, I'ver been riding 404's full time for two years, but I think the Renn hub is better. It's very smooth and much quieter. My choice having Zipps already, I waited for the Renn.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Renn vs Hed Superlight vs Zipp 900 - 700C Tubular [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Renn make a disk that works with Campy 10 speed?
Quote Reply
Re: Renn vs Hed Superlight vs Zipp 900 - 700C Tubular [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shimano 8/9, for now.
Quote Reply
Re: Renn vs Hed Superlight vs Zipp 900 - 700C Tubular [Hinds57] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try this for Campy cassettes on Shimano freehubs.

http://www.amclassic.com/Cassettes.html

I don't know how it works on a disk wheel. Also see Wheels Manufacturing http://www.wheelsmfg.com/ . They also make a Campy-compatible cassette that fits on Shimano freehubs.

Check with the manufacturer or a shop before buying - it is not a 100% solution. There are some wheels for which it won't work, I've read.
Last edited by: skater: Sep 5, 03 21:01
Quote Reply