Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Beach, CA rentals/rides?
Quote | Reply
Gonna be in LB for a couple of days and was wondering if:

A - Anyone around there would rent me a decent road/tri bike

B - If so, where do I want to ride that is safe (crime and traffic-wise)

Will have a car I can throw the bike in if necessary. Thanks!

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Re: Long Beach, CA rentals/rides? [MattMiz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't rent you a bike, but I can tell you about one ride you can do: south along the coast.

Highway 101 (AKA Pacific Coast Highway) parallels the coast and is a good ride. There's a nice wide bike lane most of the way south into Orange County. It's almost pancake flat for about 20 miles until you get into Corona Del Mar where it becomes rolling hills of varying lengths and distance.

It was one of my favorite rides while living around there.

Good luck!

Quote | Reply
Ditto! I went to college there...what a great ride...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second the recommendation of getting the hell out of Long Beach (preferably by car). It is congested, most of it is none-too-pretty and, while there are some ok parts along the water, most of it is, shall we say, very urban. If I were you, I would bite the bullet and drive to somewhere with hills (canyons off PCH in Malibu, Angeles Crest by Pasadena or south to Palomar)

If you want something closer or just want to do the California beach thing, PCH works. Just be careful (I don't think there's any part of PCH from Malibu to San Diego that isn't dangerous to cyclists for one reason or another) and consider driving to OC to start. A lot of people like to ride Palos Verdes Drive which is probably only 20 minutes from the LBC. Be careful there though too. Lots of curves and inattentive SUV drivers.

Also, PCH is highway 1. Parts of it used to be US 101 thirty+ years ago and there are a couple of places where you can still ride on what used to be 101 but maps don't refer to it that way anymore and people won't know what you're talking about when you ask for directions if you call it 101.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PCH is always an option, but if you are part roadie and you are there on a Sunday, you could do the Como Street ride. You'd have to drive about 20 miles to Irvine, though. It's a regularly held, informal training ride/race that loops through Silverado Canyon in east Orange County.

As far as bike rentals go, you might start with checking out JAX. They have a shop at Bellflower and Spring in Long Beach. Their website is at www.jaxbicycles.com. If they don't rent, they might be able to tell you who in the area does. They sponsor a cycling club and have the Como Street ride on their Upcoming Events page.

Again, if you are there for a weekend, hooking up with a local cycling club and tagging along on their weekend rides is an option. Another local club is Lightning Velo. They do a 40 mile ride on Saturday that loops through south Long Beach and Huntington Beach. Check out www.lightningvelo.org

I hope this helps.

Rusty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velo Allegro ride from Long Beach about 5 times a week. 3 levels. velloallegro.org

Como Street goes through Santiago canyon. 2 groups(fast and medium). Sat and Sun ocw.org

Food Park group goes from Irvine through Laguna Canyon and back along PCH(fast).

Mission Hospital tri club and Orange County tri club meet 20 miles south at Bonita Canyon Park and go through Santiago Canyon on Saturday.

Orange Coast Velo have a different ride each week from Huntington Beach Tues and Thur short fast rides and a slow Sunday ritual. OCV.org

............. and many many more.

If I had more than one bike and lend you one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite by chance this was sent to the local bike racers today. You might want to touch base with the author.

richterry2003@yahoo.com

I'm a Cat 4 racer from Austin, Texas and I'll be in Santa Monica for a month
starting in about two weeks. Do you guys know of any bike shop that rents
good road bikes (ie, raceable ones)?

The only place I've been out there is Helen's in Santa Monica, but I'm not sure
if they rent 'em or not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Reply