Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why do muscles tighten?
Quote | Reply
Can anyone explain what exactly is going on physiologically that makes our muscles tighten up? What exactly is happening when we feel that a muscle is tight? What's happening inside the muscle tissue to make it tighten up, and why does that happen?

Most of us get tight muscles from running, and don't get tight muscles from swimming. I know that the forces generated from running are fairly large, and that imperfect form or biomechanics can create large stresses on muscles and connecting tissue. What I don't understand is why those stresses cause the muscles to tighten, and what exactly is happening when a muscle is tight.

On a related note, why does applying pressure (aka massage) help relieve muscle tightness?

Thanks,
Lee
Quote Reply
Re: Why do muscles tighten? [lsilverman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dude that gave me the last gnarliest massage I've ever had when I pulled some lower back muscles told me that when you work your muscles hard you get micro-tears in the fiber that your body repairs with scar tissue, thus making the muscle bigger. All of this new tissue can be less flexible than the original muscle and needs to be worked out.

In large muscles and groups of muscles that work together the muscles can stick together and not be loose enough to work independently. This also makes them tight. Inactivity makes the tendons less flexible, too.

Of course this is totally different from lactic acid buildup.
Quote Reply