Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question.
Quote | Reply
Have any of the Kestrel Talon owners had seatpost slipping problems? What did you do to solve it?

I have a 2009 Talon SL and have had nothing but trouble with this thing. I have tried everything that has been suggested and nothing has worked.

From the beginning here is the progression. First attempt I put the post in dry and torqued it to 6nm like the manual suggests. Slipped on the first ride so I upped the torque to 10nm. Didn't really help. Kestrel support suggested carbon assembly paste, helped a little but still slipped. I tried wrapping the post in tape, this was the least successful attempt yet, lol. The internets suggested hair spray, this combined with carbon paste and 10nm of torque worked great for a long time. Then I switched the Talon from tri to a road setup, and had to adjust the seat height. THe hair spray trick didn't work the first time, so I upped the torque on the bolt. This worked for a while until it slammed down mid ride last month, during this ride I had to stop multiple times and fiddle with it using a small multi tool. Each time i torqued it more until I finally ripped the thread out of the collar.

At this point I need a new seat post clamp. The new Talons have a 2 bolt clamp, unlike my 2009's one bolt design. Has anyone tried to retrofit a new style clamp? The only LBS that carries Kestrel says that Advanced Sports told them the 2 bolt post will "destroy" my frame and I should not try it. I find this hard to believe.

Can anyone with a 2 bolt style seat post clamp post pictures of the inside of the collar? I would love to see how the carbon frame is cut where it meets the collar.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question. [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an '09 SL, and Fiber Grip with the factory torque spec work well. I use an ample smear inside the seat tube opposite the clamp screw.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're missing the internal wedge??? Small black v-shaped shim...

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question. [stageracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine is silver as opposed to black, but I do have the wedge that goes in between the screw and the post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only thing that worked for me was a thin brass shim, a la Cervelo Al P3. Got some thin sheet brass from a hobby shop, cut and folded it to fit. Problem solved 100%.

Round posts with the adapter, or the Kestrel aero post all slipped. Nothing worked until I shimmed it. Seems that the opening was not properly sized.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
Have any of the Kestrel Talon owners had seatpost slipping problems? What did you do to solve it?

I feel your pain. I noticed that the saddle was pitching forward slightly when the clamp bolt was tightened so I added a few layers of tape to shim the rear of the post and applied paste to the sides & front. Slippage is now minimal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the aero seatpost without problems:

http://compare.ebay.com/...emTypes&var=sbar
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question. [bilmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bilmas wrote:
Only thing that worked for me was a thin brass shim, a la Cervelo Al P3. Got some thin sheet brass from a hobby shop, cut and folded it to fit. Problem solved 100%.

Round posts with the adapter, or the Kestrel aero post all slipped. Nothing worked until I shimmed it. Seems that the opening was not properly sized.

More info? Did you put the shim on the from of the post, or between the shim and the rear of the post? How thick was the brass? Got a picture?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
use something really sticky....like gatorade. sort of ghetto but might work.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
05 Talon set up for road. Metal aero seatpost. Never had it slip, ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question. [txtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
txtriathlete wrote:

So that is 2 votes for the aluminum aero post. Until this thread I had no idea that this even existed.

For $50 I may try it. I wonder if it is slightly larger in circumference than the carbon post. Makes sense based on the fact that bilmas and PhilDBasket both had success shimming the carbon post.

any chance you can measure the circumference of the aluminum post?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12.5cm
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question. [txtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great thanks, I will measure my carbon post when i get home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put an aluminum Thompson seatpost on my Talon and it never slipped in 7 years. Even after removal and reassembly, adjustments etc. This was a 2003 Talon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
txtriathlete wrote:

So that is 2 votes for the aluminum aero post. Until this thread I had no idea that this even existed.

For $50 I may try it. I wonder if it is slightly larger in circumference than the carbon post. Makes sense based on the fact that bilmas and PhilDBasket both had success shimming the carbon post.

any chance you can measure the circumference of the aluminum post?

Mine is an '05 as well, looking at pictures the clamp may be different, the older ones have an internal clamp that tightens across the top tube in front of the seat. Pics of the 09 seem to show a collar on top of the frame at the seat post?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
More info? Did you put the shim on the from of the post, or between the shim and the rear of the post? How thick was the brass? Got a picture?

Shim was a simple V shape inserted at the back of the seat tube opening, behind the aero post or behind the round post adapter. Sold the bike so I can't take a pic. I'll look tonight for the brass and find the thickness for you.

Here's a pic of the Cervelo shim. Mine was just like this...

Last edited by: bilmas: Dec 5, 12 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question. [fierceSun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You seem to be correct. This gallery has a good picture of the older style clamp.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/...kestrel_tri_gallery/

Mine looks like this.

Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question. [bilmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect. I will toy around with that concept. The same theory seems to have worked for others as well, so I have high hopes.

thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, the brass I used with success was 0.005" thick. YMMV of course.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question. [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try a gel toothpaste--same basic principle as carbon paste, but minty.

nice...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2010 Kestrel Talon and I don't have any problems with my seat post but a friend of mine did. Our bike shop told him to use a coke can as a shim and it worked. He cut a small piece off the can a put it between the seat post and the wedge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might be wrong but I think both sides of the bolt come out. Take out the male side and see if you can tap out the stripped female side. Then just replace it with a matching seatpost binder bolt.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question. [Pacific John] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem with a 2019 Kestrel Talon X. The clamp is composed of three plastic wedges with a bolt that runs vertically through them. When the bolt is torqued, the middle wedge is pressed against the forward side of the seatpost. I initially tried smearing pumice goop on the seatpost. That worked for a while, but a ride on a bumpy ride caused it to slip. I then cut a strip of aluminum from a Budweiser can and used spray adhesive to adhere it to the surface of the middle wedge that bears against the seatpost. That seems to be working. If I've pushed the right buttons, some photos are attached.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel Talon owners, I have a question. [2old&2slow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was a blast from the past. The aluminum shim thing worked well for me for a couple years until I trashed the frame road racing. I do find it interesting that the completely redesigned the post collar and its still having slipping issues.
Quote Reply