Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: St. George, UT [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zombie thread bump: has anything changed in the last five years?

I'm considering St. George as a place to relocate to from Maine, mostly looking for more hospitable year-round training conditions (and some other complicated stuff involving my parents). I understand it's hotter than balls in the mid-summer. Good training ground? Pool access? Good local scene?

I work remotely and could take my job with me, so no concern about finding a job in a LDS-centric area. Anything I should be aware of specifically as a woman?

Bonus points if you have knowledge about community bands and/or orchestras in the local area... I have Google, but it's not the same as people who know.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George, UT [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I work remotely and could take my job with me, so no concern about finding a job in a LDS-centric area. Anything I should be aware of specifically as a woman? You may have to share a husband with a sister wife.

St George gets hot but not quite AZ hot, and its a great place to road or mt bike and great trail running and hikes too.

'STICK EM UP PUNK ITS THE FUN LOVING CRIMINAL'
Quote Reply
Re: St. George, UT [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My in-laws live 30 miles away in Mesquite, so that's the ugly.

St. George is beautiful. It can get extremely hot in the summer, but the winters are not extreme. It's great if you like the outdoors, especially hiking, biking, and climbing. Lots of new housing in Santa Clara -- one of my partners bought a vacation home there, just outside of Snow Canyon State Park. The restaurant scene is just ok, but getting better. Golf is good if you're into that.

The Mormon influence is not a prevalent as you might think, as a lot of the retirees moving in from California aren't Mormon. In other words, it's a lot closer to Salt Lake proper in attitude than it is to Provo.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George, UT [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Metered Dispensing

I remember ditching my nephew's wedding a Sundance to find a bar. I ordered a double of bourbon. They could only pour two singles, only serving me the second after I had finished the first.

But if you plan, it's not bad. Plus, Mesquite is 30 miles away if you need alcohol on a Sunday and are out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonus points if you have knowledge about community bands and/or orchestras in the local area... I have Google, but it's not the same as people who know.

Toucahn in Snow Canyon State Park has two outdoor theaters for plays and music. Orchestra plays there too. It's a beautiful amphitheater.

There's the Cedar City Shakespeare Festival each year, which is really well done.

Dixie College in St. George has some musical offerings, but there's more at Southern Utah State in Cedar City.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George, UT [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Looks like there's a community band in Washington also, is that an area one might want to explore? (It's not the crappy side of town, or something?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there's a lot of new housing going in in Washington too. Rented a house there a couple years ago for Thanksgiving. Washington is east or northeast of St. George, so it's closer to the National Parks and Cedar City. The Walmart in Washington is also where the polygamists come in from Colorado City once or twice a month to shop, so that makes for a bit of a curiosity. Everything in St. George is pretty close, so it's not like there's a long drive to get to the concert on the other side of town.
Quote Reply
Re: St. George, UT [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know, thanks for the insight. I'm looking for places to play, so location gets to matter a bit more when you rehearse every week!
Quote Reply

Prev Next