Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Expert advice needed for design of the worlds roughest ironman
Quote | Reply
Hi again!

We organized "HP Norseman Xtreme Triathlon 2003" in july. Now we use your competence to make important decisions on the design for next years competition. You have already helped us to take important decisions, and your help is highly appreciated. The competition shall become known as the roughest and most extraordinary ironman in the world. It happens in western Norway (Europe), as far north as Anchorage in Alaska, swimming in a scenic fjord, extraordinary hilly bicycling through national park, over 3000 meters ascent, and marathon ends at the top of the most beautiful mountain in Norway at 1850 meters, total ascent 4800 meters, this year was won at 12,48. ( www.nxtri.com ). Now we need your help to decide when to start next year.

Option 1: Start 5 AM. The preferred option for the fast competitors. Problem is that the slow half of the competitors will finish after dark. That is a potential risk in the mountain where we could have all kinds of weather. 25 percent of the competitors this year were in "coma".

Option 2: Start 7 PM. The challenge is complete dark from 11 PM to 3 AM. The competitors risk to fall asleep at the bike. The good thing is a terrific start at the summer festival in the city Eidfjord and a safe trip up the mountain for all competitors.

What do you advice?

Thanks for your support!

Paal Hårek Stranheim, HP Norseman Xtreme Triathlon

HÃ¥rek
Quote Reply
Re: Expert advice needed for design of the worlds roughest ironman [stranheim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"25 percent in coma"? WHOA!!

My advice: Don't hold the event again. Why would you knowingly want to put so many people in such an extremely risky position? Triathlon should be about a healthy lifestyle, not attempted suicide. I know it's very hard for some males to recognize the difference....

Good grief, now I know Norwegians AND Americans are totally whacked. :),

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Expert advice needed for design of the worlds roughest ironman [stranheim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
25 percent of the competitors this year were in "coma".

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not a 3AM start?

3000 meters ascent on the bike seems a bit low compared to the ascent on the run. Should be more like 4000 m to keep it balanced.

I would be more worried about dressing like a seal and jumping in the cold northern water where I would not be top of the food chain than about bad weather on a run up a mountain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My norwegian style english probably confused you. The security of the competitors comes first. Thats why I try to get your help and advice with the design of the competition. This year 25 percent of the competitors finished with a rather low degree of consciousness due to nutrition and salts. Doing an ironman is a strange idea, doing one with in the mountains is worse than that.

We dont want to start before 5 AM due to security. My question to you is, what do you think of a start at 7 PM, whichs means 4 hours darkness during the bikeleg.

BR
Paal Hårek Stranheim

HÃ¥rek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm not sure of when the sun rises or sets in your beautiful area of this world during the race but do me a favor.

do not start the swim when it is dark. it's too dangerous.

thanks

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The overnight idea is kind of cool, but I think the 5 am start sounds better. What time would it really get dark? You said "complete darkness" at 11 pm. With a 5am start that's 18 hours. What will your cutoff times be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I was certain English is not your first language. :)

Here's how I would analyze this problem:

Which risk is most manageable?

I would think the mountains would be more manageable for your volunteers than this business of racers falling asleep on their bikes. However, only you know how cold the mountain will likely be and whether you have enough volunteers to keep an eye on everyone on the mountain. The bike definitely sounds like the least safe element IF racers are riding in the dark. Riding a bike in the dark at race pace when your biological clock is screaming for sleep sounds like a recipe for disaster. (While training for the Spenco 500 I rode my windtrainer all night with the t.v. on. I fell off twice and damn near killed myself once!)

I hope this helps. Please make the race safe for everyone. I'm guessing Norway has lawyers.... :),

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply