Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri Bike Fit Compared to TT Bike Fit
Quote | Reply
could someone explain the difference between fitting a bike for a tri compared to fitting a bike for a TT? if there is one??

if there's been a previous post similar, please point me to that..

many thanks

Phil (LA)
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Fit Compared to TT Bike Fit [Lance Armpong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 ITU rule states the front of the saddle must be 5 cm behind BB. This means that they ride slacker seat angles than many triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Fit Compared to TT Bike Fit [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry, should have been clearer.

I have read (probably not completely understood) the bike fit and a few other excellent features on the slowtwitch website, but I was wondering what the differences would be for fitting a bike solely for a TT compared to fitting a bike for Tri purposes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally you can ride a more aggressive psoition in a TT than you can in a triathlon/duathlon. This is because most TT's are 40 k or less and you don't have to swim or run before or after. This more aggressive position means lower handlebars and in most cases a slacker seat angle. You also are less likely to see some of the dorky triathlon stuff in a TT (Bento Boxes, for example).
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Fit Compared to TT Bike Fit [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanx.....

if you had a frame already with say 78 degree seat angle (for example, 76 if you want), would you set it up any differently for a TT to a Tri. Surely a flat back is a flat back? A lot of adverts say TT/Tri frame/bike, as if it doesn't matter.

I'm now gonna do a search for a "bento box"......never heard of 'em :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the race was really hilly, I would probably move the seat back a bit and keep the handlebars at their current level.

If the race is pretty flat, I would probably keep the seat where it is and try to lower the handlebars.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri Bike Fit Compared to TT Bike Fit [john] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lance, I'd suggest that you go ahead and set your bike up by the guidelines that Dan lays out. Just because the UCI is trying to protect all of Merckx's old records by requiring everyone to ride a bike similar to his, does not mean that this is the most efficient way to ride a bike in a TT.

Consider the fact that the UCI changes came as a response to Boardman riding some pretty steep bikes and breaking the records. Now they call his records "technology assisted". Yeah, that seat tube angle is some pretty high-tech stuff. Straight from NASA!

Consider the fact that some of the euro TT champs have found some interesting ways to skirt the rules, like chopping off the nose of the saddle so they can ride steeper legally, or that you'll almost always see them perched on the nose of the saddle. Yeah, I bet they do that because they think that's more comfortable.

Now go back to Dan's articles on fit, it's about the hip angle. Which really has nothing to do with whether you're going to swim before or run after. The hip angle that Dan suggests isn't going to be right for everyone, but it's probably the best place to start, and then tweak to find what's optimal for you. Sure a flat back is a flat back, but I bet you'll ride faster if your leg isn't folding up against your chest each revolution.

Just because our roadie friends are trying to be like the euro's who are required to ride a specific position due to the rules doesn't mean that we should follow. As for messing around with the saddle and handlebar position, I wouldn't do it independantly. The reason that tri bikes got steeper is because they were trying to get lower in the front, which required getting steeper at the seat. If you mess with one you'll need to mess with the other or you'll end up recruiting different muscles during your race than you trained.
Quote Reply