Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Nov. 26/27 Edition
Quote | Reply
I hope the Seattle 1/2 and full runners are recovering.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 26/27 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My week was ok. It was awesome to see my brother at Thanksgiving. I have never been a fan of dogs, but he has a new dog and I warmed up to her. I did like taking her for walks.

M - 30 mi. bike, a couple miles walking
T - 10 mi. bike, a couple miles walking
W - 1:05 stairstepper
T - 10 mi. bike, a couple miles walking
F - 4000 yd swim + 0:25 elliptical
S - 4000 yd swim
S - long walk w/ dog

Eating went ok. I ate more than I think I should have - Thanksgiving pie was hard to pass up! I journaled a bit and that was helpful. Feeling a tiny bit more settled.

Goal this week = be kind to stress-reactioned foot. X rays taken again next Mon. and we'll re-evaluate.
Last week of classes; finals M and T of next week --- and flying home Tuesday night!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:
- run x 5: FAIL. 3 only.
- bike x 2: FAIL. zilch.
- swim x 4 EDIT: x 3 (have another concert saturday & won't be able to make the pool): FAIL. 2 only.
- core/strength x 4: WIN

came down with something last tuesday that meant i got wonderful stabbing abdominal pain every time i ate anything, so i took some time off to recover. was feeling better by saturday but had bugger-all for time on the weekend, so it was a pretty low volume week (without actually being very restful).

this week's goals:
- run x 5
- bike x 2
- swim x 4
- core/strength x 4

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Week wasn't too bad. After my Mon. night run, I woke up on Tues. to a puffy swollen ankle that hurt to walk on. So I haven't run since. Got on the bike a few times, but hard bike efforts affect the ankle also. :(
Rode on Thanksgiving day (60F!!!). Didn't over eat, which wasn't too hard to do because the food was not good...We didn't even open the store bought pumpkin pie someone brought over because I can't stand pumpkin pie. Got to swim with my master's group which was spiffy.
Good CX race on Saturday, 1st of 5 for cat 4. We skipped Sunday's race due to icy roads/snow and the race location was NOT CLOSE. Ankle was sore so I rode super easy on the trainer.
I'm in a funk this week, probably because I can't run. It appears to be some type of tendonitis thing...grr....I can't bear to ice it because it's cold outside and I keep the residence pretty cool also.
Mucho trainer in my future.
This coming Saturday should be awesome as it's a local non-sanctioned CX "race" where crowd hand-ups are STRONGLY encouraged, along with general silliness.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 26/27 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry you are hurt.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks - you heal fast too!!!
:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel as though I am in some sort of purgatory of injury recovery. I run some, bike some, swim some and the injuries balk--so I back down. And do a little less of each, and do each slower, and it goes OK. Then I try to increase, and injuries balk again. Sigh.... I'm the Sisyphus of triathlon.

After a slew of radiology, pt and ortho appointments today I had to just go do vacant shopping so that I could do an attitude readjustment before I got home. Poor hubby has been putting up with some sour moods recently.

Thanks for letting me vent. I know that what I'm dealing with is pretty trivial compared to the obstacles some of you have overcome.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 26/27 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Thanks for letting me vent. I know that what I'm dealing with is pretty trivial compared to the obstacles some of you have overcome.

injuries just suck in general. Vent all you want.
What specifically is going on? Can't remember. Are there things outside of the SBR box that don't hurt?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, as you know last week's marathon didn't go as planned. So it's time to rest, recover, recoup, MOVE ON.

Last week's plan:
M: Off; evening walk -> DONE
T: 3-5mi in the morning with strides -> 5mi DONE
W: off or easy walk/elliptical, evening walk -> DONE
R: 3mi in morning with strides -> DONE
F: Off -> :-)
St: Drive to Seattle, meet up with the PNW wimmens (Michelle at a minimum!)
Sn: RACE DAY. Start with the 4hr pace group and see how it goes. No idea what will happen. Foot feeling fine now, ditto legs. Will come down to the taper this week and my mind.

I did start with them but hit the wall and lost it at ~19-20. Felt absolutely fantastic until that point. 4:19. Oh well. Chalk it up to training not specific to the course, and I'm guessing 5-10 extra lbs (compared to my 3:59 last year). Oh and I suck at pacing???

This week:
- Maybe ride to work once or twice
- Many walks with the dog
- Maybe 1 elliptical/treadmill hill climb walk
- Maybe 1 swim
- Fri eve: DEFINITELY a PJ Pity party for myself this weekend so I can get over myself and move onto Comrades. Popcorn for dinner, a movie or 3, a bunch of wine, PJ pants, sleeping in the next morning... you get the idea.
- Sat: kick off the 200mi running challenge with 5ish kms? Then office Xmas party.
- Sunday: Some serious time with the calendar, planning what the next 7 months will look like. A LONG walk with the dog. Unless it's raining. In that case, short walk and some other aerobic activity.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, TC. Multiple tendon tears in the lower half. About the only totally pain free activity is pulling in swim.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 26/27 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
:-(

That sucks. To feel like one step forward => two steps backwards. Hang in there. And this is exactly why this forum and this thread is here - to let you vent!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone survived Thanksgiving week and is having a good week so far!

Last week looked like this:
M - recovery run/strength - done. I am not enjoying my strength routine and really need to change it up.

T - ride - done

W - swim/run - both done. I have been swimming a ton with paddles based on a recommendation from my OT and I am actually started to get a feel for the water. However, something is really jacked up in my backstroke. I think its a timing issue as I am not able to anchor very well with my left hand. I am going to have my coach look at it when I see him in a week or so but it feels horrible.

Th - 5K Turkey Trot - Done and while not in the time I wanted, it wasn't horrible (23 and change) and it could have been a PR since I don't run many 5K. The funny this is that someone at the start line mentioned that the first mile was uphill. Being from Chicago (I was about 2 hour west), I thought so there must be a hilly in the first mile since but there is no way its a mile long. I was wrong - about 350 feet of elevation gain in the first 1.2 miles - it was all pretty much a hill. The rest of the course was rolling with the elevation loss of that gained during the first mile spread over the next two.

F - run/swim - Run done, no swim

Sat - long run - Done but not as planned. But I did run some fun single track/

Sun - long ride - Done. And I road the mountain bike on the single track for the first time since the wrist break. I road trails that I knew very well and with a slower rider but i felt good. I was less nervous than I thought I would be and can't wait to get back out there. My arm/wrist on the other hand would rather we didn't. It was sore during and afterwards.

This week should be fun times with a hilly trail marathon (3000 feet of climbing) that I am way under prepared for on Saturday. The only thing I have going for me is that I have joined the Dec 200 challenge and my friends and I are considering running with a flask and taking shots at the aid stations. I may get a great start on the Dec 200 challenge :)

M-Recovery run
T- strength bike & core workout
W - swim/run
Th - run
Fri - yoga
Sat - Trail Marathon
Sun - yoga/rest/not be alive

Have a good week everyone!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 26/27 Edition [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The left hand issue on your backstroke, which wrist did you break? j/curious, otherwise nice week, I look forward to seeing how the trail marathon goes!

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 26/27 Edition [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: the backstroke issue, have you tried backstroke paddles? They are similar to a wrist brace in that they go down the arm part way to maintain stability in the wrist. Trying to find a link to some online, but not seeing the one's I used to use (that was almost 20 years ago). They looked like a normal rectangular paddle for the hand, but had a narrower rectangular area to support the wrist.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Nov. 26/27 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andy - I broke my left wrist so the one where I have the issue. I am pretty sure the issue is a combination of strength and flexibility. I am not able to get my hand in the proper position (due to limited range of motion) through the pull and finish so I am just slipping through the water making me feel like I am a windmill.

SD- the paddles may help with this. I will have to do some internet searching and see what I find.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to AP on marathon finish! That's still a fantastic time for a marathon that throws monster hills at ya in the last third of the race!

Good week last week. Just trying to literally get my feet back under me!
Mon - hard swim then run easy few miles
Tues - ride easy then core
Wednes - swim & easy run up to 3 miles!
Thurs - easy 2.5 miles & legs are starting to remember how to run!
Fri - tempo ride in almost 60 degree weather.
Sat - long endurance sets swim
Sun - feeling good running so went for almost 4.5mi with some short walk breaks

This week - decided to try a new year's day 5 mile race so run focus for the next month. Am worried about running more than 4x/wk as ankle ligaments/strength is still problematic. Will see how it goes & add another short run next week if all goes well.

Mon - swim 2600 yd w/technique & endurance focus
Tues - off & core
Wednes - run 40min and pick up pace some
Thurs - run 20min easy then core
Fri - swim 2000 then run 40min
Sat - swim 2400 then bike tempo
Sun - run 5 mi
Quote Reply