Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02
Quote | Reply
I am looking to reward myself next year following a winter of hard trainer work with the purchase of a new frame.

I really like the BMC frames, but I think the TM01 is going to be a little out of my price range, so I have been looking at the TM02. To be honest, I actually prefer the white frame of the TM02 anyway, but looks are not everything (IMO!)

Would the TM02 be a good upgrade over the P2, which is a 2011. As far as I understand, while a good frame, the P2 is potentially not as advanced as the newer BMC frames. While I understand that it may not give massive improvements, I would like to at least know it would be giving some, the rest would be psychological!.

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02 [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds as if you've mentally sold yourself on the BMC, or at least that you want one. While I can't speak to the Aero benefits, I think if the new bike keeps you motivated to train harder and more consistently than your P2 that alone could far outweigh the aero differences between the frames.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I was riding a P2 until this summer. I have a TON of data on my cDA, this position, that position, yada yada yada
I got a really good deal on a TM01 Di2. I loved the bike, so I pulled the trigger

I got into a 100% identical position, brought it to the track (F1 track that is) and got identical numbers.

Now, an outdoor F1 track is probably not the environment precise enough to measure 50g here and there.

I love the bike, would do it again in a second, but if you think you're going to shave off big time savings, I doubt it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMC frames are great looking. At the end of the day its your dollar. You are more likely to see a bigger performance increase with... losing weight, improving flexibility, aero helmet, race wheels, "good" components, training with power, upgrade aerobar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and I have both owned BMC road and time trial bikes. I previously rode a P2 and now ride a TM01 and Cervelo R3 road bike. My wife rides a Cervelo P3 and BMC Racemachine. The P2 is a solid, proven ride. It has standard brakes that are easy to work on. You can get one these days at a really good price (probably less than a TM02). While the Cervelo and TM02 lack some of the integration of the TM01, you can improve the brake/fork aerodynamics of both with a TriRig Omega. As you can see here, you can do some pretty nice builds on the TM02 with the Omega. I can also offer several other observations comparing these two bikes -
  • BMC seems to have a better overall qualify of finish and construction.
  • BMC has a lower bottom bracket (68mm drop versus 60mm). My P2 always felt a bit "tippy" through turns, but my BMC feels much more planted and stable.
  • The BMC's medium short geometry is really different from the P2 geometry (IIRC).
  • The BMC has two frame bosses. The P2 has one. Regardless of how you feel about frame-mounted hydration for racing, mounting a second frame bottle is really handy on training rides.
  • The BMC has a "barrel adjuster" style dropout adjustment, similar to what Cervelo had on the P4. I feel this is a much better setup than the tiny little screws on the P2/P3. If you go with the P2, apply lots of Loc Tite to the dropout screws.
  • The TM02 frame has a BB30 bottom bracket. The P2 has a standard BSA bottom bracket.
  • The BMC has a replaceable derailleur hanger; the P2's derailleur hanger is molded onto the frame. If you crash or if your P2 falls over and the derailleur hanger breaks, you will need to replace the frame.
  • The BMC's rear brake is built into the chainstays. This is harder to service. I would highly recommend installing a hex nut for the drive-side brake pad and an in-line barrel adjuster on the rear brake cable.
  • I am not a big fan of the Profile Design aerobar. For the price, I much prefer the Zipp Alumina and 3T Aura Ghost and feel the latter really compliments the frame nicely. The P2 comes with the 3T Aura, which I think is a nicer bar.
  • The TM02 is set up for Di2 if you ever want to upgrade.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a p2 but I the bmc looks bad ass! If I had the money that's all the data I would need.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02 [kenpetruzzelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ken, this information is very helpful - thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02 [Paul_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced a P2 and most recently the TM01. I was faster on the P2 because with the TM01 I could never get my pad setup as close to get back to my tunnel position. The BMC had much less flex (Hed Stingers would rub on the P2 when out of the saddle) and the BMC handled much better. Straight line with my eyes closed, I doubt I could tell the difference.

My insomnia destroying blog can be found here http://tfalin.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chrisbint wrote:
I am looking to reward myself next year following a winter of hard trainer work with the purchase of a new frame.

I really like the BMC frames, but I think the TM01 is going to be a little out of my price range, so I have been looking at the TM02. To be honest, I actually prefer the white frame of the TM02 anyway, but looks are not everything (IMO!)

Would the TM02 be a good upgrade over the P2, which is a 2011. As far as I understand, while a good frame, the P2 is potentially not as advanced as the newer BMC frames. While I understand that it may not give massive improvements, I would like to at least know it would be giving some, the rest would be psychological!.

Thanks

Where should an advantage come from? I ride a BMC cyclocross bike and a P2 for tri. Both good bikes. But any real aerodynamic comparison would cost more money than both bikes together, so you either go by feel, or buy both bikes and run a series of field tests (identical position and components of course).

I would bet, you find no advantage of either in a field test though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DO NOT BUY BMC!!!

do a proper research on their costumer service. they suck ginormous hairy donkey balls without gagging.

the BMC rep on this forum is full of shit. I can show you PMs how he promised to sort out my issue with my BMC bike then conveniently disappeared. even my local bike shop had zero response from the east coast regional rep.

buy cervelo, my frame broke, 3 days later they shipped new one no questions asked. BMC bikes look hot and cuddles may be winning races on them but you will get better customer service by your local cable company than BMC.

Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02 [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haole wrote:
DO NOT BUY BMC!!!

do a proper research on their costumer service. they suck ginormous hairy donkey balls without gagging.

the BMC rep on this forum is full of shit. I can show you PMs how he promised to sort out my issue with my BMC bike then conveniently disappeared. even my local bike shop had zero response from the east coast regional rep.

buy cervelo, my frame broke, 3 days later they shipped new one no questions asked. BMC bikes look hot and cuddles may be winning races on them but you will get better customer service by your local cable company than BMC.

Wow, I was just about to pull the trigger on a TM01. While your experience may be an exception, it does give me pause.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02 [Chaloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you dig a bit you will find that my experience isn't an exception...start with roadies forums
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02 [Chaloo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer - I am a BMC dealer, so I am clearly biased.

We have worked with BMC this past year as a both a retailer and liaison for their pro triathletes. Have we had some warranties? Yes. At a higher rate than other companies? No. We are a relatively high volume Cervelo dealer and for the past 3-4 years they have been our gold standard for customer service. If it is a legitimate warranty, they rectify the situation with expedience. Typically every party involved is left feeling satisfied.

For the BMC issues we have had this year, the customer service that we have received and have been able to pass on to our clients has been on par with Cervelo. They have been able to replace frames &/or components in a timely fashion. Clients/Athletes have been extremely pleased. Sometimes it is not necessarily the fault of the parent company doing the warranty if there is poor customer service. If the store the warranty is being done through does not do their due diligence, then there may be significant delays that appear to be the fault of the bike company.

Just offering a different perspective.

Joe Santos

Joe Santos

Davis Wheelworks | dW² Facebook | dW² Twitter

BMC | Boardman | Cervélo | Felt | Lapierre | Atomic High Performance | ENVE | HED. | SRM | Stages | Zipp
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02 [haole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cervelo`s have a lifetime warrenty on the frame http://cervelo.com/...upport/warranty.html something to consider.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02 [Joe Santos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joe, as a BMC dealer, I request you one advice.
I bought my TM02 in a local shop here in Brazil that doesn´t represent BMC anymore. Actually, the owner changed, so we can say the shop closed.
I´ve been travelling around and I think due to my bike bag, my rear derailleur hanger dropped all the times. I eventually lost one screw everytime, got lucky in replacing it but I´m not willing to take the chances on my next Ironman, so question is:
Where/hoe do I find a replacement TM02 derailleur hanger?
Thanks

PS: Into the topic, I love my TM02, no issues, although I might say that servicing the rear brakes is truly time consuming for me, when changing between training/racing wheels (larger zipp firecrest) .
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02 [kenpetruzzelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kenpetruzzelli wrote:
  • The BMC's rear brake is built into the chainstays. This is harder to service. I would highly recommend installing a hex nut for the drive-side brake pad and an in-line barrel adjuster on the rear brake cable.

Ken, did you ever installed this barrel adjuster?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P2 compared to BMC TM02 [danielpcr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danielpcr wrote:
kenpetruzzelli wrote:

Ken, did you ever installed this barrel adjuster?

I have a TM01. There isn't enough exposed brake cable for an in-line barrel adjuster, so I use the Bontrager XXXL bake levers with built-in barrel adjusters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am turn between

P5 without DI2 but with race wheels
vs
BMC TM01 DI2 and lower end race wheels (mavic or similar)
vs
P3 DI2 and nice race wheels

they would all approximately come down to the same $ amount.

I know you were talking about different models but customer service does play a big role in my decision.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks,
Quote Reply