Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just returned from a Bikesport re-fitting
Quote | Reply
As a last minute panic before IMWisc I called Tom Demerley and asked if he could take a look at my fit. (He originally fit me when I bought the bike in Sp '02) "No problem", he said "come on in, we can take a look".

Not only did he fit me in at last minute, but as he went over everything, he explained what it was he was seeing and how it related. (Luckily all was fine with no changes needed.) While I was there he gave me some additional advice to calm my IM jitters.

There were also some last minute things I needed, (Fuel Belt bottles, etc.) which he was out of, but he robbed them out of new belts just to get me up and going.

All-in-all an excellent experience. It's always easy to bitch about bad experiences when they happen, I just wanted to comment on a good one.

RM
Quote Reply
Re: Just returned from a Bikesport re-fitting [Rick Murray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"(Luckily all was fine with no changes needed.) "

No changes needed to be made but now having the security of knowing that it was set up right in the first place is worth the money to have it checked out by a pro. Kudos to Tom's shop and their honesty. It's not inconceivable that some bike fitters may have changed things just for the sake of doing so, just so it looks like they did something.

Bike fitting is not rocket science. If you carefully read Tom's and Slowman's articles and then apply this knowlege into a logical system, I'm sure most people could be in the ball park, but it must be really nice to get the OK from the source.
Quote Reply
Re: Just returned from a Bikesport re-fitting [Rick Murray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the kind words Rick. And by the way, Rick was not panicing, he was being careful and thourough in his preparation. That, along with his excellent, consistent training and substantial endurance sports experience in tougher events than Ironman (such as the Leadville 100 MTB race, among others) stack the odds in his favor for an excellent Ironman appearance. Rick, and many other athletes we have seen this week, have done their homework. Over these next few days when the pre race butterflys start to fly remember these things:

1. The quality of your experience has largely already been determined by your preparation and experience. Stay calm and you will have your best race. Just do what you do.
2. The long road you have taken to get to this point qualifies you to stand at the starting line and race in The Big Show. That is an impressive achievement. You deserve a good day with all the work you put in. Go have a good day and revel in the excellent effort you have put in.
3. No one's preparation and training is 100% perfect. Do the best you can with what you've done on race day.
4. Leave expectations behind and stay "in the moment".

Good luck, not that you guys need it!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just returned from a Bikesport re-fitting [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>"(Luckily all was fine with no changes needed.) "

No changes needed to be made but now having the security of knowing that it was set up right in the first place is worth the money to have it checked out by a pro.<<

But, to play devil's advocate, is 3 or 4 days before a big race really the time one wants to get checked for proper fitting????? What if it was thought the fit should be changed? Would one want to make big changes this close to an Ironman? Just asking.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Just returned from a Bikesport re-fitting [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.... good point ironclm, I was thinking the same thing. I did BSLT this year and decided to make only a minor change to my right cleat position (and, when I say minor, I mean MINOR - about an 1/8 of inch outward shift). I did this hoping to reduce a minor ITB problem I had been having all season. Guess what? The inside part of my knee was in so much pain by about the 18th mile that the whole bike ride was pure misery.

So, I'm with clm... why would you want to consider making any changes only a few days before an IM distance race if it wasn't absolutely necessary? Not to second guess, ... just wondering myself?

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Just returned from a Bikesport re-fitting [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"is 3 or 4 days before a big race really the time one wants to get checked for proper fitting????? "

Very good point. But since nothing had to be changed he enters the race with the confidence that is bike was already optimum. Best of both worlds I guess.
Quote Reply