Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Thanks Slowman... And Everyone else...
Quote | Reply
Dan, I just wanted to take a quick second (as our season up here in Minnesota is winding down) and thank you for all of your help. This past spring I injured a chronically bad knee and as part of my rehab I chose as a goal; triathlons. Using your training method of assigning point values to swimming, cycling and running really allowed me to evaluate how I was training at all three disciplines. Now I came into this sport with a fairly good fitness base as I work out daily and play basketball 2 times a week in the winter (that's how I hurt my knee). Also, I was a strong swimmer in high school (20 years ago) and a good cyclist (some cat 4 experience, again 15-20 years ago) so I had a foundation for two of the three although I couldn't run (fast) to save my life (especially with a gimp knee). I am happy to say that I competed in three sprint triathlons this summer with my best results coming at Tri-America in St. Paul, MN where I finished 2nd in my age group (35-39) and 22nd over all. In my other two events I beat my goal times and placed in the top 15% overall. I'm not writing this to brag but truly to say thank you for all of the helpful info on your site as well as to thank all of the posters on the forum for all of their help. I also want to thank my wife (a triathlete herself) without whose support I couldn't have accomplished half of what I have. Without making a religious statement I also want to thank God for allowing me to compete and have fun (now if he could just teach me how to run) at this awesome sport. While doing a triathlon this summer became a goal for someone recovering from a knee injury, I can honestly say I am hooked and am looking forward to next season. Thanks again and good luck!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Slowman... And Everyone else... [EaganMNTri-Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Using your training method of assigning point values to swimming, cycling and running really allowed me to evaluate how I was training at all three disciplines"

---------

is this method described on the site anywhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Slowman... And Everyone else... [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Mike, I attached the link below but if for some reason it doesn't work go the the Slowtwitch home page and look for "Beginners Training" on the righthand side. Click there and go to week 6 for the details. Basically you give yourself a point for every 100m swim, for every 1 mile of cycling and for every 1/4 mile ran. I did not follow his training schedule (I had one that my wife had gotten from her coach) but rather I used the point method to determine "where" I was spending my training and to answer the question, "is my training aligning with my strengths/weaknesses?" For example, I felt I was strongest on the cycle, followed closely by the swim with running a distant 3rd. So rather than "blindly" follow some training schedule (because it says I should bilke today) I was able with the points system to prioritize my workouts to emphasize running, then swimming, then cycling. Nothing complicated about it, but it does satisfy the engineer in me. Hope this helps.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/.../beginner/week6.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Next year? No, no, that won't do, you need to tee it up at Shreveport in the National Age Group Championship race on Oct 4th. Be strong man, don't make any excuses.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[snip]

yours is the typical story of one's entry into triathlon. jeez, i love that story.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Slowman... And Everyone else... [beatnic_tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need to go to Shreveport, as Menomonie is only an hour from Eagan.

Zeke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"A good week for a top age-group athlete might be 15,000 meters in the pool, 175 miles on the bike, and 40 miles running. In my scheme that would mean 150 points swimming, 175 points riding, and 160 points running. That's 485 points, which is a good strong week of something close to relative equivalence. You'll win or place in your age group with such weeks, if done on a regular basis."

----------------

OK, then. At least now I have something to blame in addition to genetics. I'm doing my first 1/2 IM in a few weeks and just coming off my greatest training volume ever in my 4th year of doing this--297 points.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Slowman... And Everyone else... [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I go by the points value system as described, and I've never reached more than 655 points in a month. I place in my AG often...worst this year was 5th. I don't think I've had a 200 point week in the past 10 years. I'm proof that it can be done with a lot less points...but you have to make them count! There are "off" months that I don't get that many points in the entire month!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply