Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sunglasses on the Bike
Quote | Reply
Every so often, I run across something that I like so much, I want to share it with the others on the forum. I've been looking for some rimless sunglasses so I don't have to tip my head back as far when in the aero position. I picked up a pair of these at my local hardware store (Ace or Aco?). I think they were about $9.00. I got the grey/blue tint and they are good for low light but have just enough tint to use in bright sunlight. They're comfortable and offer such an uninterrupted view that I sometimes catch myself reaching with my hand to see if I have them on. I know they not be as fashionable as Oakley's but you can buy 14 of these for about the same price.

http://www.aosafety.com/diy/html/xf2.htm

By the way didn't Gary in SD have a link to some prism glasses for TT?

Richard
Quote Reply
Re: Sunglasses on the Bike [R Isgrigg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
look cool, cheap, but are they uv protectant..something that you know you get when you drop some $$$ on some good glasses

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: Sunglasses on the Bike [Kevin_Queens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The previous page is here:

http://www.aosafety.com/diy/html/eye3.htm

and says: "Unlike many sunglasses, X-FACTOR EYEWEAR complies with OSHA regulations, meets industrial safety guidelines and provides protection against 99.9% of harmful UV rays."

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are pretty cool.

I used this pair for about 2 years, and yes they protect from UV too. You can also find these at Home Depot.

http://www.cornerhardware.com/...ty-Glasses-Gray.html

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh sweet. i missed that part of the page...hmm....when glasses break, maybe be ordering a pair

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to chime in here- Be careful with inexpensive sunglasses: Oakley sunglasses in particular, and almost all quality sunglasses, are expensive for a reason. It is NOT just fashion! Inexpensive sunglasses create aspherical distortion, can slightly disrupt depth perception, have inconsistent lense density and do not maintain a constant radius relative to the curvature of your eye. They also don't incorporate features such as Oakley's "hydrophobic" nose pieces and earstems which become sticky when wet. Some Oakley designs incorporate over 100 pieces of patented technology including polaric ellipsoid lense geometry which virtually eliminates aspherical distortion, eyestrain and anomolies in depth perception. Additionally, Oakley has precision engineered lense shapes and colors for virtually every lighting condition. I have used Oakley glasses since they made their first sport sunglass, the "Oakley Light" (sometimes incorrectly referred to as the "Eyeshade"). I've used them in the military, mountaineering, adventure racing, in bicycle races, in the hottest deserts in the world and in Antarctica. Now I wear Oakley prescription glasses- the best sport specific prescription glasses available IMHO. I have seven pairs of their prescription glasses. They were expensive but it doesn't make sense to wear a $149 helmet, $239 shoes and protect my vision with $9 sunglasses. My eyes are super important to me. I am very concerned about how glasses affect my vision. Oakley, based on my experience, is not about fashion. It is about form following function. Sure, they have some pretty ridiculous styles that push the envelope (the Over the Top) but the company is founded on the principle of building uncompromising eyewear. I haven't found anything that even comes close to their quality and innovation. Expensive? Yes, but IMHO my vision, especially now with a prescription, is worth it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sunglasses on the Bike [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the boots Tom? I'm about to order a pair, but haven't done so yet and would like to hear from anyone that has worn them.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunglasses on the Bike [alb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't tried them. I just got three pairs of prescription XXs (twenties), a pair of prescription Juliets in X metal, two pairs of RX pro M frames and some fairly "normal" looking prescriptions clear glasses. The Juliet's are clear lenses too and look totally cyborg/techno as well as being bombproof durable. It sure is nice to be able to see again!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I hear what you are saying and agree with you that your eyes are worth it, but I have a hard time believeing ALL of the claims and ALL of the marketing hype made by Oakley and the other high-end sports eyewear manufacturers. Furthermore unlike other expensive peices of sporting goods apperal and equipment, eyewear is something that is constantly lost. I think that I read something that people loose on average 3 glasses a year! Also eyewear is extremely fragile - one drop on the ground and the lens gets scratched. Accidently sit on them in the car and they are history. At $200 a pop or more those are tough loses to handle. Good for you the retailer, not so good for the hapless customer!

On this, I have opted for the middle road using eyewear in the $30 - 50 range from reputable manufacturers so that in the event of loss or damge it is not such a huge hit. I hope that my eyes will be OK.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Sunglasses on the Bike [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eyewear is something that is constantly lost
I beg to differ, but I have a pair of Oakley M Frames which I bought in 1991 and which are still in pretty good nick - UNTIL THIS WEEK WHEN MY WIFE BORROWED THEM, PUT A BLOODY BIG SCRATCH ON THEM AND BROKE AN ARM OFF (the glasses, that is, although she nearly lost an arm too). Is nothing sacred?

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunglasses on the Bike [Noggin the Nog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With regards to your Wife's treatment of the M Frames, with all due respect to her - my point exactly.

As to yourself - I am always amazed at people that are able to keep gear like this in mint condition year after year. Kudos to you. But, methinks, that you are the exception and not the rule.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no denying these things are super expensive and can be damaged if you aren't reasonably careful. But for what I pay for prescription Oakley's (even at dealer cost since I own a bike shop) and since they are such an incredible piece of functional art you better believe I take pretty darn good care of them. Also, my 81 year old Mom is legally blind with macular degeneration. It runs in the family. Another reson I don't cover my eyes with $9 sunglasses when I spend $100 for shoes on my feet. Given a choice between eye problems and foot problems, I'll take foot problems. Now, If I could only find $9 running shoes....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check it out, it tells the "untold story" of Oakley:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/oakley.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!! - Glad I have four pair of them! 2 Racing Jackets and 2 Juliets

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, since we're on an Oakley discussion, I guess I should clarify why I thought the X-Factor sunglasses in my first post were noteworthy. They don't have a frame across the top, so you don't have to tilt your head back as far to see when in the aerobars. Is this feature available in a higher end pair of glasses?

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom

Thought I'd chime in as well. I love your site, and your product reviews ( just got my Hed Aerobars, dont even have them on my bike yet) but I thought Id comment on a few of your comments you made about Oakley. Sounds like the product rep has really worked you over. I've sold Oakley, Rudy , Nike and Addidas in my Optical store and Oakley makes super quality stuff but... There isnt such a thing as 'aspherical distortion'. The asphericity of a lens will decrease distortion, defocus and other aberrations. A true spherical lens, ( like a basketball cut in half) is not the best for focussing light. An aspheric lens is optically better. You would recognize this in your prescription glasses, especially if you have a high prescription. Also Im not sure what you mean by 'inconsistent lens density'. All athletic type lenses should be made in a polycarbonate material, which has an index of refraction of around 1.6. There are constantly new lens materials which are being released which have a higher index of refraction , and can be made "thinner and lighter".

Protection is the best reason to wear eye protection.

As far as UV protection , there are many different levels of UV protection. Most sunglass companies only do the minimum amount of testing and get the minimum amount of certification. UV light can contribute to cataract changes in the lens of the eye, and some corneal changes ("snow blindness"..or UV keratitis). There is actually no scientific studies that show UV light causes macular degeneration. I just got finished listening to a taped lecture, by Dr Steven T. Charles M.D who is internationally recognized retinal surgeon and researcher, genetics play the largest part in who gets macular changes. The fact that your Mom is blind puts you at risk, and unfortunately wearing expensive sunglasses doesn't decrease that risk. Smoking is the next greatest risk factor, increasing your risk about 350%, I'm sure you dont do that.

As long as you see well, and your glasses fit well, and you like the way they look, it probably doesn;t matter too much if your glasses cost 15 dollars or 250.00 ..and this is coming from someone who has a storefull of expensive sunglasses to sell.

Carter Johnston, O.D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sunnies are very important when cycling and running.

I'm blonde (natural) with pale blue eyes. (not very smart, but blonde) Us pale blue eyed people suffer alot in the sun. More light gets through our eyes apparently.

On top of that I have spent alot of time skiing and got mild to moderate snow blindness many times, from not wearing sunnies. Not sure if it has a lasting effect but I wear sunnies just about every time I'm outside now. I wear spectacles for a slight prescription indoors and sunnies outside (without prescription). I have 7 pairs of prescription glasses for all occassions.

I have some relatively cheap Cateye wraps, reflecto type for cycling and running. They have great shape for blocking high angle sun, even without a hat. They have great visibility when looking through the top of your eyes when in the aero position and they have great aerodynamics for blasting down hills on the bike. My eyes don't get buffetted or water even at over 55mph on the bike. They don't look particularly sexy (they're OK but not great) but they work incredibly well. I have some very lightweight Nike 2 piece semi-wraps that I got for cycling but didn't work. Now used just for seeing and looking cool around town and when driving. They have great clarity etc. I have some Ray Bans for around town and driving as well. They have great lenses but are glass and heavy. I even have some clear Cateye wraps for cycling at night. Ugly but they work great, even at speed in the rain.

My wife works for an optometrist so I get a deal on stuff (free!)(hence the great number of glasses) They have just got the Oakley licence so I've got some M Frames ordered....just in time for the southern summer. Oh yeah, some Oakley prescription ones as well.

Ya only get two eyes. Get a shitty bike and a good pair of sunnies is my idea. Or Both!

TriDork

Oh yeah...spend tons o' money on them? take good care of them. All my glasses are virtually like new. But then again, I'm pretty anal about things like that.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck, you've jinxed me!! I DON'T believe it!! I left my Oakley Topcoats (purchased in 1998 and still in very good condition with only one small scratch on the left lens) on the bathroom shelf yesterday in a rush to get back to work (I normally keep them in my small 'Oakley Cupboard' with my remaining 9, usable pairs). The Mrs found them, and decided to remove the caked-on sweat with a pan scrubber in the washing-up bowl. I can testify that iridium coating will not withstand this. That's two pairs she's 'done' now in 10 days. I'm going to have to increase her dosage.

Oakley ARE expensive and I like them because they fit my face well and are very comfortable for biking and running. However, I have also tried other brands at a quarter of the price which work just as well. If you know of any manufacturer that makes spouse-proof glasses I'd be glad to hear about it.

Put the bunny back in the box.
Quote Reply