Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sandy - Power STILL out
Quote | Reply
I just need to vent for a moment. The power is still out at my house here on Long Island, it is getting COLD without heat and now we are having a snowstorm. Ten days is a long time and there is no end in sight. I am truly lucky that my house wasn't damaged but I find that the anxiety from the situation is affecting all areas of my life. I finally went to the gym tonight and worked out with my son and feel much better. So many people have much worse situations - I have friends who have lost everything. There is nothing like a disaster to put things in perspective.
Quote Reply
Re: Sandy - Power STILL out [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hang in there. I live in a rural area and have had power knocked out by storms/hurricanes. It is incredibly disruptive. Do what you can to establish a routine. And reach out to friends and family out of the area that might be able to give you a brief respite at their place.

With no end in sight (which could be a realistic assessment) you and your family will need to make a decision about if you are willing to rough it for the duration. It's not impossible, but it does take it's toll.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It must be so frustrating when the rest of the world has pretty much moved on and you're still dealing with this day after day. So sorry to hear that you still don't have power. That sucks so much. It is *so* hard to do anything without power. Do you have any estimates on how much longer it might be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow. I'm sorry to hear this. I wish I was in the area and could help.

Is there anything we can do? Is mail or anything being delivered? I can send a care package of fun snacks and games.

The longest I've been out was 7 days and it was horrible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Sandy - Power STILL out [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this may come of as cliche but hang in there. Surely it is not a good position to be in but as we all know, it could have been worse. Try to stay warm these days.

Quote | Reply
Yeah ditto on the snail mail - happy to send lot of wool socks, candles, dark chocolate and red wine... (no I'm not trying to seduce ya) ;-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Sandy - Power STILL out [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for all your kind offers. I really just needed a little sympathy. The power company now is estimating that power should be restored mid to end of next week for my neighborhood. We had a Nor'Easter come through with a few inches of wet, heavy snow that brought down more trees and took out more power. My son and I moved out today to my ex-mother in law's apartment which is empty and without a kitchen since it is about to be renovated but we are very happy to have heat, light and hot water. The destruction is unbelievable, I am almost glad not to have been able to see it all on tv.

Thanks everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you found a place to stay. I wish I could help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm happy to hear you found a place to stay. I'm in central NJ and we just got our power back Friday. It was out for 12 days. I had to move in with a friend when temps in our house dipped to 42. There are so many trees down and so many of my neighbors had trees go down on their houses so I feel pretty lucky.

Sandy did throw a huge monkey wrench in my training/ankle rehab plans. But its off season, so I will just view it as an extended break and get back into it slowly starting with a bike ride today. The weather is supposed to hit 66 and that is a nice gift from Mother Nature after the crazy weather we have had over the last two weeks (Hurricane Sandy and then basically blizzard conditions on Wednesday night)
In Reply To:
Quote Reply