Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chin-up Challenge -- Update us! [luckytotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
16 pushups yesterday morning - felt a little stronger doing them, but the wrist was quite sore yesterday so didn't want to push it too much. will see what things feel like tomorrow morning; i did planks this morno instead.

might see if i can find a few minutes to try the assisted chin/pull up machine at the rec centre where i swim tonight.

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Okay, I'm going to set my goal at a more reasonable 5 chin ups by January. I can almost get 2 in a row, but can't quite get that second all the way up. I'm working on mixing some chin ups into my TRX sessions for strength training and this challenge :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been working on the pull up assist machine - can do 4 at half my weight. My goal is to do 2 unassisted by January - we'll see!
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya ditto on that!! I'm 48 and decided to get strong...what I got was a torn rotator cuff. LOL. Now on the mend but no more chin ups in my future. Be careful ladies but go get it!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the updates chicas. It's fun to hear about everyone's progress!

Have a tip to share...

I told my daughters (7 and 6) about the challenge and they got super excited for me and wanted to see how many push-ups I could do. With my girls excitedly counting beside me I could get to 34. Talk about motivation! Can't let my little girl peeps down :)

--------
Trying to fight gravity on a planet that insists
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! Real pushups and chin ups have been a goal of mine for awhile - this can help me make it real.

My trainer at the fitness center started me super easy for push ups. On my knees, all the way down, lift my hands quickly then put my hands back down and push up. I felt like a fool doing these at first but it's working! I can get my chest to the ground and push up where before I couldn't get down that far. For pullups, he has me doing them modified with a band. Slowly getting there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's super awesome!! I'm so impressed. I'm up to 4 "real" push ups w/ 10 motified pushups after, and 4 pull ups. doing 2 sets of both of those every other day. I'm so happy you came up with this challenge. I really need strength in my upper body. This is great.

Any hooray for little girls. You must be an amazing role model. I have two "little" girls. They're now in college. Sigh. But they'll be home for thanksgiving so I"m happy about that.

keep up the good work everyone!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone else keep going with this?

The last 2 Wednesdays I've actually managed 20 regular pushups without the grips. My wrist is actually strong enough now that I've started doing some kettlebell snatches and even managed a couple of barbell snatches (bringing the bar up for front squats) on Tuesday. I still have some limited ROM in external hand rotation (turning my palm up with thumb out like I'm waiting for someone to hand me something) so have to use a reversed grip on the bar for front squats, but at least it's progress!

May see about using the jungle gym at the park up the street for some pull/chin ups when the weather warms up.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
mistress k--thanks for bumping :) Your wrist progress sounds great, and 20 push-ups no grips is huge. Yay!

I got derailed with a sickness over the holidays, and I had to rebuild. I'm at a solid 40 pushes and 9 pulls. My husband just put up a bar at home for us, so I'm hoping that having easy access will help get me there. I have been increasing my swimming, and I've noticed my pulls have gotten weaker/harder with my increased yardage. Damn, if it's not one thing...

I would love to hear how others are doing with this. Womens, how's it going? Anybody want to re-up with a concrete goal?

--------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot do a single one. I do pushups but have never been able to get good at pull-ups. What kind of bar did you get for your home? The pullup is one of the 'feats of strenght' I cannot do and would like to. I know my power/weight ratio is pretty poor at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge -- Update us! [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
I cannot do a single one. I do pushups but have never been able to get good at pull-ups. What kind of bar did you get for your home? The pullup is one of the 'feats of strenght' I cannot do and would like to. I know my power/weight ratio is pretty poor at this point.

There's a technique component to it. I bet you can get good :)

He got the P90X bar. It's "fine," but even though it has about twenty different hand position possibilities, I can't get my favorite grip--about 6" wider than the shoulders overhand grip. Picky, picky, picky...

I'm thinking about going down and talking to the boys in the welding shop about making me an independent standing dip/chin up combo. If I do it, I'll take pics and post cost.

--------
Quote Reply
Re: Chin-up Challenge -- Update us! [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is awesome! Good job.
I was doing well, and then for some reason, stopped doing them as regularly as I was. I'll start again. Thanks for reminding me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next