Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TitanFlex Speaks Up: Part 1
Quote | Reply
I am honored that so many of my TitanFlex friends/customers have taken time to contribute their personal stories to this thread. I thank them all. Since I don’t have deep ad pockets or a devoted dealer network, I’m grateful for all the word-of-mouth I can get. It is my biggest asset…more than a dozen years in the making…not as impressive as watching Tyler tough it out in the TOUR on his FSA-equipped Cervelo. That was awesome to witness. And Cervelo deserves the right to leverage their investment in Team CSC Tiscali. I’m sure Gerard spent many furious, nerve racking hours--not to mention several Canadian dollars--to make all that possible.

It would be nice to have the financial backing to do likewise. Heck, I wish I could do more than keep Scott Molina rolling on fresh treads in appreciation of his TitanFlex patronage. So, when I saw “PRESS”’s post I simply told Scott and some of my TitanFlex friends about it. My exact words were, “Just today I noticed a post on the Slowtwitch Forum. Someone is looking for input on TitanFlex bikes. If you feel inclined to add to the discussion please go to [URL].” No financial incentives were offered. Most of the replies were posted by TitanFlex owners I hadn’t talked to in years. Others came out of nowhere. I apologize to anyone who is offended by this action. I saw a unique opportunity to leverage my best asset in an open forum.

I especially appreciate Ves Mandaric’s [YAQUI] contributions to this thread. To wit, “Obviously, there is a wide selection of bikes that people love to ride, and rare would be the person that really knows what is "the best", because almost nobody really has the opportunity to ride them ALL for a significant amount of time in order to compare. People are different, so different bikes may be best for different people and/or riding styles…Keep on posting about the bikes you love, it's very interesting to those of us that love bikes.” We’ve never met, but I suspect we’re cut from the same cloth….both appreciative of the opportunity to share our passions one-on-one, without the overhead of bureaucracy, “bigness” or political correctness.

Please see Part 2
Last edited by: TitanFlex: Sep 1, 03 11:37
Quote Reply
TitanFlex Speaks Up; Part 2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...continued from Part 1

My business heroes are Bill Holland and Kent Eriksen [Moots]. They got me started in the early 90’s when Softride ignored my offer to share my patented design. Bill and Kent are living examples of “if you build it, people will come.” Since I sold my first production unit in 1996 more than 250 people have come my way. That’s been enough to keep them and me happy, but clearly not enough to hold the attention a dealer body or investment partner. God knows. I’m still $150K in the hole!

The way I see it, dealers earn their 30-35% margins by conveying valuable information to prospective customers. It’s much easier to go to one place where you can see and ride the bikes on your want list, then to spend time and energy researching the needed information on your own--at places like the Slowtwitch Forum. TitanFlex customers essentially recoup this margin by bearing the burden (and risk) of gathering and (mis-) deciphering information. 80% of them never took a test ride. They felt comfortable in the analysis of the data they had gathered and took a chance that paid off--as evidenced in the testimonials posted here.

If I had to sell more than 100 bikes a year (to please Wall Street or put kids through college) I’d take a completely different approach. In the meantime, thanks for all the support, and I hope to keep providing innovative, high quality bikes to interested riders as long as you’ll have me.

Sincerely,

Tom Piszkin
UCSD Triathlon Coach
@TitanFlexBikes
(619)334-7222
(619)328-1870 FAX
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Speaks Up: Part 1 [TitanFlex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Hi Tom-- nice post, just a couple of points:

>I apologize to anyone who is offended by this action.

I'm fairly certain no one was offended. It was just that the massive delurking was cute, and elicited a chuckle or two.

>I especially appreciate Ves Mandaric’s [YAQUI] contributions
> to this thread...

I think you're talking about yaquicarbo (aka ktalon), who, unless I'm really confused [always a clear and present danger], is not Ves Mandaric, just an obviously very happy customer of his. Ves does post on this forum, as himself.
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Speaks Up: Part 1 [pyker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyker,

I guess this proves the point that Ves and I have never met. However, from what I've been able to discern from the Yaqui website, I'll stick with my sense that he and I are of like mind. Yaquicarbo, I guess I love you too.

Cheers,
Tom
Last edited by: TitanFlex: Sep 1, 03 12:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom: I just want to say for the record that the $20,000 sponsorship check you sent me had no effect on my recommendation in the other thread. Now, all the wrinkled people in my age group want to know how to get sponsored. It'll just have to be our little secret. :),

On a more realistic note for those interested in comfort on a bike (N.B.: I never believed riding a bike should be comfortable before I rode my TF.), I usually get severe back pain about mile 40 on my Santa Cruz Roadster. I did over 100 miles last weekend with nary a wince, though I was tightening up a bit at the end. I find it remarkable that frame vibrations can wreak so much havoc on the back....

Anyway, Softride's loss is our gain.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Speaks Up: Part 1 [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Robert,

Yours was one of the replies that "came out of nowhere", so I'm afraid your sponsorship contribution will have to be rolled down.

Tom
Last edited by: TitanFlex: Sep 1, 03 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Speaks Up; Part 2 [TitanFlex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I want to know more about your bikes, where do I go?
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Speaks Up; Part 2 [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.titanflex-usa.com/ (courtesy of Google)
Quote Reply
Re: TitanFlex Speaks Up: Part 1 [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find the SC roadster as comfortable as any other aluminum bike I have ridden, and I ride on terrible roads. maybe you should try a carbon seatpost. The roadster is stiff and responsive and very aero, with bladed downtube, seattube cutout and seatstays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would like to announce a sponorship deal has been agreed upon by tom and myself. over the next year tom will loan me a titanflex and track my progress through an online news letter. the project is called

'from whiny ass fatty to stud'

i hope to show the advantage of the titanflex for all levels of riders starting ant the basement and working up. it is an honor and i hope to have the news letter out soon.

thank you

(ok now everyone email tom and tell him what a great idea he had sponsoring me. this will pressure him into swagging me a bike. this way i will finally get a bike and y'all won't have to listen to me anymore. thank about it, no bad spelling or pointless bitter crying.)
customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Last edited by: customerjon: Sep 3, 03 2:08
Quote Reply